Foursevens Preon P0

Streamer

Enlightened
image.php
Database error
The CandlePowerForums database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.candlepowerforums.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.candlepowerforums.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

1anrm

Enlightened
Awww... no longer turns on reliably. Sheash. going to contact support. am back to using my E05 as my AAA light. I used duraloops.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
what sort of problem is it having? Have you tried tightening the pill? What battery are you using?

The problem is uncertain mode changing (I am not sure if you can talk of 'mode skipping' in a two mode light), the pill seems to be tight and I am using Energizer 1000 mAh NiMH cells with a narrow and well protruding positive button. As I said it happens only occasionally.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kilovolt,
What type of lube are you using on the flashlight threads?
Have you checked the bottom of your cell for a ridgeline scratch made from the batterytube that can cause this?
If you have tried, what type of cleaner have you used on all of the connection points?
I am assuming you have more than one Energizer NiMh, does this happen with using all the different cells?
Your description and useage sounds like a dirty connection point somewhere.
GL

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally I use silicone grease but in this case the o-ring was sufficiently lubed so I did not do anything. The bottom of my 8 cells appears to be in its original state and the misbehavior happens with different ones. I have only cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol without touching the o-ring.

I agree that the problem seems due to a bad contact, I will probably have to take away the o-ring and clean everything again. Pity there are no spare o-rings.

JulianP

Enlightened
Well, my Preon P0 nearly made it to three weeks. Now it is beginning to malfunction. The light alternates from low mode, to off, to high mode or to going out and becoming really hot. The latter is clearly an internal short. On inspection the foam ring looks the same, and there is no obvious sign of oxidation on contact surfaces. :shakehead

I don't particularly want to waste more money and time on postage, as my money is better spent elsewhere. 4/7s, I can only say I am disappointed. I had Ultrafire and FandyFire last longer, while the Preon P0 tries to start a real fire.

My ITP EOS A3 has already arrived. A Klarus M-IX6 and a Thrunite Ti are on their way.

Streamer

Enlightened
The bottom of my 8 cells appears to be in its original state and the misbehavior happens with different ones. I agree that the problem seems due to a bad contact, .

If thes 8 NIMH cells are all you have tried, I would try a regular Alkaline battery such as Duracell, Energizer, etc.

All NIMH cells have the larger anode contacts. I have same trouble as you with NIMH cells, but alkalines function perfectly due to smallest anode contacts.

Last edited:

Streamer

Enlightened
I am using Energizer 1000 mAh NiMH cells with a narrow and well protruding positive button.

It may be one of the narrower NIMH's out there but in SelfBuilts review (see list below) he lists widths of anodes in NIMH and ALkalines. Alkalines have the narrowest. Try one, it may cure your problem.

Alkaline:
Duracell AAA: 3.17mm
Eveready AAA: 3.34mm
GP AA: 3.27mm

Lithium:
Energizer L92 AAA: 3.48mm

NiMH:
Eneloop AAA (early generations): 3.73mm
Eneloop AAA (recent purchases): 3.79mm
Energizer high-capacity AAA: 3.52mm
Duracell high-capacity AAA (non-Eneloop): 3.67mm
Generic high-capacity AAA: 3.67mm

NiMH cells typically have wider anodes than primary alkaline and lithium cells – and Sanyo Eneloop cells particularly so.

Last edited:

tickled

Newly Enlightened
I was very interested in this as a floodier mini companion to my E05 but not working with Eneloops is a deal breaker for me. Maybe version 1.1...

Streamer

Enlightened
I was very interested in this as a floodier mini companion to my E05 but not working with Eneloops is a deal breaker for me. Maybe version 1.1...

It seems that not all are affected. No real info out yet. And don't know if 4 7's will comment or not.. Business as usual.

SelfBuilt commented on it. I even suggested to another reviewer to check it out..fell on deaf ears...guess he wanted no part of it.

Last edited:

budynabuick

Enlightened

I find it amazing that a company would release a light that will not receive the pos end of NIMH!
thinking.gif
It"s baffling that 4-7"s has not spoken (that I know of) on this issue. I was interested in one of these lights. That is the good thing about a thread like this as 4-7"s will surely see it and hopefully correct this problem and THEN fancy up their web design/packaging. Tickled, if you are looking for flood, I highly recommend the Klarus MIX6.

Keith

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be one of the narrower NIMH's out there but in SelfBuilts review he lists widths of anodes in NIMH and ALkalines. Alkalines have the narrowest. Try one, it may cure your problem.
Will do, thanks. :)
Kilovolt,
Here's the photos that confirm the P0's annode troubles. Selfbuilt measured 3.52mm for the Energizer NiMh's annodes. In my two samples of P0's, the distance between the two IC chips was only ~3.42mm. The Eneloops worked on the sample below, wore away part of the IC chip due to the fact that the battery was actually getting pushed off center to make the contact with the driver. This is from about 1 hours worth of use, and I have since reverted to smaller annoded batteries.
There have also been many more reports of the IC's getting shorted out using the larger annoded batteries since I documented these photo's. Was it by design, or was it by manufacture defect, that larger annoded batteries do not work in all P0's? A little insight and battery reccomendations would go along way here Four Sevens.

Just a friendly reminder, not all customers buy and use Duracell batteries. The P0 is marketed as a "AAA" single cell light. Why is it that not all "AAA" batteries can be used? There are international standards for a battery's size to qualify and be sold as a "AAA" battery. Any "AAA" sized battery should work in this "AAA" marketed light.

IMO, I think it would be a better business decision to change the marketing of this light to exclude "rechargeable" AAA battieries. I beleive it would be more cost effective, less disatisfaction, less RMAs, and Most Importantly, a better Image and start with one of the First Newly Branded models that 4 Sevens spent a ton of money, time, and research developing Four Sevens new branding.
If a fix is designed and manufactured, this could be marketed as the "New" P0, now compatible with rechargeables.

GL

Tolip

Newly Enlightened
Ordered one this morning.
I'm using L92s almost exclusively, though.