shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone bought the Titanium XP-G2?
Are the threads gritty? ;)

4751.png

Etsu

Enlightened
Anyone bought the Titanium XP-G2?

Having just bought the SS version, I can't see the 63% higher price is worth it for just 5 extra lumens. All other mode specs look the same. Though, who knows, if I didn't already have the Preon 0, I might be tempted just for the cool titanium tube. Still, I can see why this is a limited edition. At that price point, it doesn't really compare well to other keychain lights in the same category.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
Having just bought the SS version, I can't see the 63% higher price is worth it for just 5 extra lumens. All other mode specs look the same.

That's not the point.

Though, who knows, if I didn't already have the Preon 0, I might be tempted just for the cool titanium tube.

That's​ the point.

Etsu

Enlightened
That's​ the point.

Oh, I know. I just see it as a very niche product. They'll probably make money from it, though, since the design changes are so minimal and there's little cost in the redesign. Probably a lot higher margins, too.

Still, would it have killed them to up the lumens to 60 or so? Oh well, high output isn't really the point of the light, I suppose.

Esko

Enlightened
Still, would it have killed them to up the lumens to 60 or so? Oh well, high output isn't really the point of the light, I suppose.

If you check calipsoiis photographs (posts 792 and 797), you can see that the heat sinking of the led is far from optimal. It is attached to a driver board, not directly to a metallic pill (which would have made the light clearly bigger). 25/30 lumens surely is plenty enough for this light and a decent runtime is a good feature, too.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I know. I just see it as a very niche product. They'll probably make money from it, though, since the design changes are so minimal and there's little cost in the redesign. Probably a lot higher margins, too.

I agree that it's pricy for not much increase in performance, but let's face it– the flashlight marketplace is filled with products that are bling, more jewelry than flashlight. The wristwatch market is similar; you can get dead-nuts accurate timekeeping for $50, but people still spend thousands for watches because they look nice. Nothing wrong with that, either.

In regards to the P0/A0, what's nice about this light is its sub-lumen low mode, and its reflectorless beam. In the dark, its jump from .25 lumens to 24 lumens is plenty. If the A0 had a .24L mode and went directly to 60L, it would be a blinding change. If FourSevens dumped the .25L mode, to accommodate a 60L high, it would ruin the usefulness of this light and it would just be another Olight, Thrunite, Fenix multimode AAA light.

MCN

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the A0. I had one of the original P0s with defective switching and returned it for a refund and never got another. Titanium lights are hard for me to resist so I decided to go for it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I agree that it's pricy for not much increase in performance, but let's face it– the flashlight marketplace is filled with products that are bling, more jewelry than flashlight. The wristwatch market is similar; you can get dead-nuts accurate timekeeping for $50, but people still spend thousands for watches because they look nice. Nothing wrong with that, either.

In regards to the P0/A0, what's nice about this light is its sub-lumen low mode, and its reflectorless beam. In the dark, its jump from .25 lumens to 24 lumens is plenty. If the A0 had a .24L mode and went directly to 60L, it would be a blinding change. If FourSevens dumped the .25L mode, to accommodate a 60L high, it would ruin the usefulness of this light and it would just be another Olight, Thrunite, Fenix multimode AAA light.
This is exactly why I'm buying my first new light in ages.

Nice low, reflectorless beam for around the house at night, coupled with a decent find-your-way-around level that won't leave you blind when you turn it off.

Looked to see if there was a warmer emitter available, but then realized that on a lower modes only light, I'd still go for the cooler tint.

Now I've got to find the discount code... Discount codes are not to be discussed outside of the appropriate area in the Marketplace. - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I just ordered one. I really like my 1st Gen model but couldn't resist the titanium one to go with my titanium minis. 😎

ico

Enlightened

They make money from all of their products. That's why they are a business.

The price increase is because of the metal used. Titanium. Titanium is more expensive than aluminum and harder to shape so of course the price will definitely be higher.

Etsu

Enlightened
If you check calipsoiis photographs (posts 792 and 797), you can see that the heat sinking of the led is far from optimal. It is attached to a driver board, not directly to a metallic pill (which would have made the light clearly bigger).

Is heat build-up an issue for the LED with extended run times, then? Mine only gets a bit warm when I use for an hour or so. Is the body getting rid of enough heat?

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
At that price point, it doesn't really compare well to other keychain lights in the same category.
Yeah, like the tain ti p0.
The old stock p0 was more like 30 otf lumens according to a old post from david. So it`s under specced. The difference between 30 and 60 lumens is really small in a mulehead. The lumens are too spread out, and our eyes struggle to see the difference. If you need to own a 60 lumen version. Buy a dqg, pop out the mpcb with led, and put it in a p0 pill. Easy. But it wont make you go "wow", at all.. when compared with a stock 30 lumen. The runtimes and the lo mode had the biggest change.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
how much is the titanium like 40 bucks?
yeah i agree, if one needs more lumens it's an idea to look into the original product, the dqg Titanio AAA. was on sale not long ago on cpfmp. has 60 lumens.

Esko

Enlightened
This is exactly why I'm buying my first new light in ages.

The P0 I bought a couple of weeks ago was my first purchase this year, too. A friend had lost his P1 (a gift from me) and needed a Mini 2*AA to replace it. Preons were on sale so I decided to buy one for me, too. Glad I did. I had bought a P0 for gift before, but didn't quite like the tint (which is a bit affected by the GITD material) so I didn't realize how useful it was otherwise. I have some cheap fauxtons attached to zippers, bags, keys etc. and if Foursevens released a NW version, I might consider replacing some of them with those. A real upgrade, should I say...

Looked to see if there was a warmer emitter available, but then realized that on a lower modes only light, I'd still go for the cooler tint.

Com si, com sa... When the intensity is low, warmer tints become increasingly pleasant to eyes... Think about the sun. Whether you like CW or NW, a midday sun in pretty pleasant to your eyes. It is also cool white (5500K-6000K; a lot more if it is cloudy). Late night/early morning sun is also pretty pleasant. It is not bright, and it is warm white. I like neutral whites but the fixed lights in my home are mainly 5800K. They are also pretty bright. I have some warmer and dimmer lights for evening use and when it comes to flashlights, my preferences generally change slightly towards warmer tints when the intensity gets lower.

The price increase is because of the metal used. Titanium. Titanium is more expensive than aluminum and harder to shape so of course the price will definitely be higher.

The original P0 is stainless steel, not aluminum.

Is heat build-up an issue for the LED with extended run times, then? Mine only gets a bit warm when I use for an hour or so. Is the body getting rid of enough heat?

It is not about the heat of the body, it is about the heat of the led.. I don't quite know if it is a real problem. I just know that the heat management must be far from optimal and AAA sized pocket rockets with some 100lm+ of output need really good heat management. We also know that there is a pretty similar light with some 60lm output (DQG) and Foursevens takes the heat management more seriously than many other manufacturers. So... Who knows? :shrug: Anyway. The difference in perceived brightness is not very big. 30 lumens vs 60 lumens? If we were talking about 1 lumen vs. 2 lumens (it is the same difference), no-one would care. 25 lumens or 30 lumens is just fine for this light. I would be less interested if it tried to be a pocket rocket with a very short runtime.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
When the intensity is low, warmer tints become increasingly pleasant to eyes... Think about the sun. Whether you like CW or NW, a midday sun in pretty pleasant to your eyes. It is also cool white (5500K-6000K; a lot more if it is cloudy). Late night/early morning sun is also pretty pleasant. It is not bright, and it is warm white. I like neutral whites but the fixed lights in my home are mainly 5800K. They are also pretty bright. I have some warmer and dimmer lights for evening use and when it comes to flashlights, my preferences generally change slightly towards warmer tints when the intensity gets lower.
I like cooler tints on lower levels and warmer tints as the output goes up.

Not so much a fan of midday sun as I am of the warmer tones in the evening, and I love moonlight as is.

Since LED's work opposite to my preference people like you are in luck!

I'll post up when mine gets here, but am really expecting satisfaction on this one.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
but am really expecting satisfaction on this one.

titanium threads aren't they hard to twist?

on my ITP A3 Titanium the threads were fine when the light was new, but after thousands of twists in an effort to make the threads smoother, it actually got worse. much worse. they are now 100% impossible to twist single-handed. i still love the looks of A3 Ti but the light doesn't get used by me anymore.