Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X Burst Mode review

waywardgeek

Newly Enlightened
No pre-flash on my QT2L-X in moonlight mode. I notice a flash only when programming the modes, which is no biggie. This is a great little light, a real pocket rocket. I bought 20 Rayovac CR123A batteries, which I believe are actually the same as the AW123A (made at the same USA plant the same way). I figure this is a better solution for camping/backpacking where I'd rather have a spare battery than a rechargeable, and the shelf life is something like 10 years.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
exactly. 18650 is just too fat for the quarks. don't expect a slim AA/CR123 light to be able to accommodate 18650. the excellent sanyo 16650 2100mah cell is readily available from a variety of online dealers and it's what i use on my QP2L-X

Sorry for the tangent but just curious on how those batteries are holding up? I've noticed most all of the newer 18650's I buy are really fragile. They fall apart in my backback (casing comes off and disc comes off the bottom) and the top dents in making them not charge in the charger or light the light; most often the problem is intermittent. Are the Sanyo's very robust?

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I am learning a great deal from the reviews on this forum.

I recently took advantage of FourSevens' clearance page to pick up a 123 Tactical, the predecessor to the QT2L. I am so impressed with this light that it quickly became my EDC. I am looking at picking up a current production Quark Tactical. Regarding the burst mode:

I typically use my lights on high for very short periods of time. If I am using the light for longer, I will switch to a lower mode. Therefore, I would be in burst mode for likely 100% of the time the light was being used on high. With this in mind:

1) Would I effectively be cutting my run time on high in half?

2) What does this do to the lifespan of the LED or other circuitry?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Would I effectively be cutting my run time on high in half?

2) What does this do to the lifespan of the LED or other circuitry?

Yes, your cumulative runtime on max will be ~ half the spec, although 47s tends to err on the conservative side with their specs. Don't worry about life span, 47s is also very conservative about over driving their lights - they do stand behind their products, better than most others, after all.

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Yes, your cumulative runtime on max will be ~ half the spec, although 47s tends to err on the conservative side with their specs. Don't worry about life span, 47s is also very conservative about over driving their lights - they do stand behind their products, better than most others, after all.

Thanks!

JanCPF

Enlightened
Thanks for this excellent review. Is it possible to select a mode that runs 410 lumens throughout the runtime without the initial 800 lumens burst? High mode seem to be around 300 lumens - correct?

Etsu

Enlightened
Thanks for this excellent review. Is it possible to select a mode that runs 410 lumens throughout the runtime without the initial 800 lumens burst? High mode seem to be around 300 lumens - correct?

In practice, you won't see much difference between 300 and 410 lumens, so just use the 300 lumen high setting if you don't want burst.

JanCPF

Enlightened
In practice, you won't see much difference between 300 and 410 lumens, so just use the 300 lumen high setting if you don't want burst.

Yes I'm aware of that, but I already own the 200 lumen XP-G and there is also not much difference between 200 and 300, but 400 would (for me) justify an upgrade .

Etsu

Enlightened
Yes I'm aware of that, but I already own the 200 lumen XP-G and there is also not much difference between 200 and 300, but 400 would (for me) justify an upgrade .

The XML will give you a floodier light than the XPG, so getting that version may be worth it anyway. I have both flavors of the Quarks, and my preference is the XML versions. If you really don't want burst, then get an older version without burst, or a 2xAA format. (Though the XML versions still step down a bit after 3.5 minutes, just not as much as the burst mode does.) The 2xAA XM-L2 specs say 280 lumens, but it's a lot higher than that in reality... at least 350 lumens, maybe higher.

Xak

Enlightened
This light sounds AWESOME! Been thinking of getting one, but not if warm tint isn't offered. Cost me $50 to replace an emitter from a third party for a light. Great job, no complaints, but why no more warm tint from 47s?!?!?!

Etsu

Enlightened
4sevens says warm tints don't sell well. It's not worth tying up inventory. I guess cool white rules in the mass market.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Why don't they just make an optional 18650 body people can buy? 18650 is a standard that is 2x123A compatible and 18650 batteries can be purchased by the flashlights in Cabela's and Gander Mountain. I can't however purchase 16650 or 17670.

2x123 Quarks were designed to directly compete with 2x123 Fenix. In fact the heads, bodies and tailcaps of the 2x123 lights are interchangeable between the two brands.

Brightnorm

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree when the 2x123 Quark was designed it probably had the Fenix PD30 as a competitor but that was a long time ago. I think the QT2L would be a lot more popular if it was compatible with 18650s. I can understand the argument of wanting to keep the QT2L legoable with the other Quarks but at the same time I don't see why they could not have two models, one supporting 2xCR123/17650 and another one supporting 2xCR123/18650. Fenix did it for a while offering both the PD30 and PD31 and Eagletac still does it with the D25C2 and D25LC2: I don't see either company being on the verge of bankruptcy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash the light, to the contrary I find it has an impressive performance, excellent mode spacing and a highly customizable UI: features very few lights in the same category - if any at all - can boast. I'm just saying that 18650 compatibility would make the light much more appealing.
Tiforce, thanks for the very insightful review.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
I can certainly see the appeal of 18650 compatibility given the number of people here already using this cell size in other lights as well as the cell's capacity.

Quarks are compatible with KeepPower 16650's, although FourSevens tells me that they believe performance would be poor. I believe some on this forum use these cells in Quarks. 18650 compatibility would require a wider diameter body, which diminishes the size efficiency that was a primary factor in making me a FourSevens fan.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, let me thank you for an EXCELLENT review. Particularly the graphs. I have found that graphs can be used equally well to highlight or to obscure data, depending on whether you over-complicate things, or choose a scale that makes it difficult to actually see what is going on. Yours are a stellar example of how to do it properly!

I do have one question...does this light use PWM on any modes?

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, let me thank you for an EXCELLENT review. Particularly the graphs. I have found that graphs can be used equally well to highlight or to obscure data, depending on whether you over-complicate things, or choose a scale that makes it difficult to actually see what is going on. Yours are a stellar example of how to do it properly!

I do have one question...does this light use PWM on any modes?

Thank you very much for the kind words. It's greatly appreciated. To answer your question, yes, the model I reviewed is pulse width modulated.

Treeguy

Enlightened
If you don`t mind, I`d like to piggyback a Quark question on here to avoid a new thread.

If the Quark Tactical QT2A-X puts out 336 lumens with standard 2XAAs, what would it put it with 14500s?

Thanks.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don`t mind, I`d like to piggyback a Quark question on here to avoid a new thread.

If the Quark Tactical QT2A-X puts out 336 lumens with standard 2XAAs, what would it put it with 14500s?

Thanks.

I think I tested that. I'll look and see when I get a chance