General Li-ion safety

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Beyond the basics for Li-ion safety?

thanks for the infos!!

I got my cells today. I measured their initial voltage and most were between 3.6-3.8. good right? After charging though, it seems my charger brings them up to about 4.21. Is that ok?

thanks!

Yes 3.6 to 3.8v is fine for long term storage, with 3.6v being a little on the low side for most li-ion cells. 4.21v is fine, as regular Li-ion cells should be charged at 4.20v +/- 0.5v.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still think all multi-cell Li-Ion lights should have a forward (bezel end) venting, one-time use safety feature, kinda like an airbag. You would lose your water proofness once it blows, but at least no one would be hurt and your light would still be intact. Then you could just buy a new "venting collar" that would slip in place of your old destroyed one... Why not? Hey... If anyone uses this idea, please cut me a little something.. like a free light and some inventing credits, hell, a small portion of your proceeds in sales... You listening Surefire?????? :D

Shao

Last edited:

llmercll

Newly Enlightened

Lol I totally agree. I read a few articles about battery accidents and the lights involved almost always consisted of multiple cells =p

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe a latex condom kinda membrane that would swell so you would know when your're lights about to go - then the pressure would be released through the weakest point - the membrane, instead of blowing your tailcap out or blasting your 16340 cells out the bezel into your eight year old nephew's forehead. That way you could retain water proofness. The membrane would be cheap and easily replaceable. Flashlight companies.. if you want to hire me, I am currently looking for steady work. ;D

Lol,
Shao

bestsystem

Newly Enlightened

afaik, the released gasses when venting are not poisonous as such (at least in the low concentrations in this circumstance)

You could try drilling a hole in your light to vent, however this would eliminate any water-proofness, and wouldn't make a huge difference anyway... it might only blow up a little bit, or just shoot a 6 inch flame out the side if it went critical.

There are a few horror stories around, but seriously, there are hundreds of thousands of users of these type of cells, and millions, if not billions of people using lithium-ion worldwide. If it were that common, there would be far more stories to tell.

Check list:

1.) Good quality cells - Doesn't have to be AW, but it also wouldn't hurt.

2.) Good quality charger - Can be a cheapy if you want, but you should be aware of how it works, and how it charges. If it trickle charges, or if it will feed too much current etc. Again, better known brands might be better for a reason.

3.) Get a multi-meter - This is pretty much a "must have" item. Doesn't have to be super expensive, or super accurate, but has to be consistant. Get a baseline of your cells when they have charged (around 4.2V or below) and make sure they aren't going over that level on subsequent charges. If they do, consider step 4.)

4.) Chuck cells when they need to be - If a cell is over charged, or discharged, then get rid of it. If you have charged a cell to over 4.25V then its getting a bit dangerous, and if you over discharge a cell, then it is equally dangerous. Chuck it out, and get a new cell. They are cheaper than a new house.

5.) Use protected cells when possible - If you are new to the game, protected cells can be your best friend. Not only do they have safety features built in for when you are using them, but also when charging your cells. Can include overtemp protection, over charge/discharge, and usually include a vent for gasses.

6.) set up a charging area - a lot of us charge our cells in a metal flame proof box on a cement floor for a reason... if you are charging lots of high capacity cells, then you have higher potential for BOOM. Again, not a mandatory thing, but reccomended you at least get an area that you would consider safe to use

7.) Don't leave your cells unattended while charging. I know its a pain in the *** to charge a pair of 18650's for 5 hours, but if you leave them on overnight, you won't know how they are behaving. You should check for the temperature of the cell itself when charging, and check the charger itself. Expect a bit of warmth (10-20 degrees above body temp) but if it is too hot to touch, you got some trouble!

8.) Use the right cell for the job - if you have a high drain device, consider reading up on, and buying some quality IMR cells, if you need a cell that puts out a lower voltage, consider some LiFePO4 cells. Knowing the chemistry of the cells, and their limitations will make using and caring for your cells easier.

Lithium Ion cells have come a long way in safety, but generally the cheapest cells on the market, can also be the most volatile.

Anything I need to add?

good job !:)

Last edited:

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened

What kind of container would be good, and where can i get one? I have failed rather miserably on this :(

snakyjake

Enlightened

If you could add:
Minimum voltage before cell damage?
Don't use multiple cells (e.g. 2xRCR123, try to use 18650 instead).

afaik, the released gasses when venting are not poisonous as such (at least in the low concentrations in this circumstance)

You could try drilling a hole in your light to vent, however this would eliminate any water-proofness, and wouldn't make a huge difference anyway... it might only blow up a little bit, or just shoot a 6 inch flame out the side if it went critical.

There are a few horror stories around, but seriously, there are hundreds of thousands of users of these type of cells, and millions, if not billions of people using lithium-ion worldwide. If it were that common, there would be far more stories to tell.

Check list:

1.) Good quality cells - Doesn't have to be AW, but it also wouldn't hurt.

2.) Good quality charger - Can be a cheapy if you want, but you should be aware of how it works, and how it charges. If it trickle charges, or if it will feed too much current etc. Again, better known brands might be better for a reason.

3.) Get a multi-meter - This is pretty much a "must have" item. Doesn't have to be super expensive, or super accurate, but has to be consistant. Get a baseline of your cells when they have charged (around 4.2V or below) and make sure they aren't going over that level on subsequent charges. If they do, consider step 4.)

4.) Chuck cells when they need to be - If a cell is over charged, or discharged, then get rid of it. If you have charged a cell to over 4.25V then its getting a bit dangerous, and if you over discharge a cell, then it is equally dangerous. Chuck it out, and get a new cell. They are cheaper than a new house.

5.) Use protected cells when possible - If you are new to the game, protected cells can be your best friend. Not only do they have safety features built in for when you are using them, but also when charging your cells. Can include overtemp protection, over charge/discharge, and usually include a vent for gasses.

6.) set up a charging area - a lot of us charge our cells in a metal flame proof box on a cement floor for a reason... if you are charging lots of high capacity cells, then you have higher potential for BOOM. Again, not a mandatory thing, but reccomended you at least get an area that you would consider safe to use

7.) Don't leave your cells unattended while charging. I know its a pain in the *** to charge a pair of 18650's for 5 hours, but if you leave them on overnight, you won't know how they are behaving. You should check for the temperature of the cell itself when charging, and check the charger itself. Expect a bit of warmth (10-20 degrees above body temp) but if it is too hot to touch, you got some trouble!

8.) Use the right cell for the job - if you have a high drain device, consider reading up on, and buying some quality IMR cells, if you need a cell that puts out a lower voltage, consider some LiFePO4 cells. Knowing the chemistry of the cells, and their limitations will make using and caring for your cells easier.

Lithium Ion cells have come a long way in safety, but generally the cheapest cells on the market, can also be the most volatile.

Anything I need to add?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Li-ion beginner primer

12/27/11: I have explained the abbreviations and battery chemistries a bit at the end of the LI ION BATTERY CHEMISTRY AND SAFETY section. I added some words about using a DMM at the end of the recommendations section.
12/26/11: Added A BIT MORE DETAIL ON CHARGING, after the charging section

Hi folks, on other forums I read, I often notice a lack of info on Li Ion batteries. Most disconcerting, people have experience with alkaline and Nimh batteries, and assume Li Ion care and feeding is as simple, and the consequences of a mistake similarly (usually) small. I wrote a quick beginner primer, that may actually be useful here too, though folks here tend to be a lot more knowledgeable. In the meantime, I'm asking for feedback on this: is it factually correct? Are there important details I left out? Is it useful? Some of the emphasis in the article has been lost -- I was able to underline important points, but that underlining has disappeared in this forum (I'll change to bolding later today).

I'm going to try to make this really short, which means I'll drastically simplify and generalize. If anyone things I've oversimplified to point that the information looks incorrect, let me know and we'll discuss changing it right here in the primer. If you just want to add detail, we should let those stay as follow-ups. The reader should know that I've simplified a lot, you should be checking places like battery university and candlepowerforums for more detail; I mostly want to jumpstart you into a place where you're vaguely safe.

WHY WRITE A PRIMER?
I'll tell you first, I'm a bit conservative when it comes to things like safety. For all the positives of Li Ion batteries, the downside is that the consequences of making a mistake can be serious -- explode in your light or burn down your house serious. On the other hand, let's keep some perspective: many people use these batteries in hobbies like RC, and homes aren't burning down left and right. That said, I don't want *you* to be the statistic. I look at Li Ion batteries like a firearm: understand and follow a few simple rules, and there's no reason to fear them. But these are not the no-brainer technology that alkalines are.

I'm going to discuss the very basics of batteries and chargers. I'm going to use some examples of specific products that I feel violate the rules. And I'm going to try to give you enough info to evaluate that claim on your own. I will make specific recommendations for beginners at the end.

WHY GO WITH LI ION?
• If you use your light a lot, rechargeables will be much cheaper to run in the long run, and easier on the environment
• Modern lights are increasingly running at higher performance with Li Ion rechargeables. For example, the current XML based V10R is running 150 lumens on a CR123 primary, but over 400 lumens on a RCR123 or 16340 (both terms for a li ion rechargeable).
• Even though lithium primaries have higher capacity than lithium ion rechargeables, when I walk out the door with my rechargeable, I know my light is at full charge. With primaries, I'm never sure, since I'm not going to replace a primary that seems to be running well just because I've used it for the past week, and I can't just top it up.

LI ION BATTERY CHEMISTRY AND SAFETY
There are multiple battery chemistries for Li Ion batteries. I am going to almost solely discuss LiCo, but there are other chemistries popular in lights such as IMR and Lifepo4. I will contrast with IMR occasionally.

The thing about LiCo batteries is that the chemistry is not safe. By not safe, I mean, conditions can occur where the battery goes into thermal runaway, at which point it can vent violently or explode. A safer battery chemistry might cause the battery to shut down under these conditions, but because LiCo batteries go into runaway, I am only going to be discussing protected batteries from here on out: those batteries with built-in protection including a protection circuit and other safeguards that shut the battery down and prevent other conditions that can cause problems. However, I'll note that I never rely 100% of mechanical protection, these are inexpensive parts that sometimes aren't perfect. Having a safety doesn't mean you can point a loaded gun at someone :)

IMRs, by contrast, use a safer battery chemistry, and so don't have protection circuits. But IMRs have lower overall capacity than protected LiCos. Still, as we'll see, IMRs have characteristics that can let them outperform LiCos under some circumstances.

A quick summary of the most popular chemistries:

LiCo (LiCoO2) aka ICR batteries:
• Are the batteries usually being discussed when someone mentions something like "protected AW 14500" without any other qualifiers
• 4.2V max charge, 3.7V nominal voltage
• Not a safe chemistry, so can be purchased with a protection circuit that guards against overcharging and over-discharging
• Higher energy density, but lower charge and discharge rates, than the other batteries in this list
• Are the batteries I use in lights that can handle 4.2V and do not demand a higher current than what LiCo can deliver
• Chemical composition is lithium cobalt oxide

IMR (LiMn204) batteries:
• 4.2V max charge, 3.7V nominal charge
• Safe chemistry, so is not available with a protection circuit. But that means the consumer must guard against overcharge and overdischarge themselves.
• Slightly lower energy density than LiCo, but can sustain much higher discharge and charge rates. I use these in lights that can handle 4.2V batteries but require a higher discharge rate than LiCo can handle, like some of the newer demanding XM-L lights
• Chemical composition is lithium manganese oxide

LiFePO4 aka IFR batteries:
• 3.6V max charge, 3.2V nominal voltage
• Safe chemistry, so is not available with a protection circuit. But that means the consumer must guard against overcharge and overdischarge themselves.
• Lower energy density than LiCo, but can sustain higher discharge and charge rates.
• Chemical composition is lithium iron phosphate

CHARGING
These batteries use a CC/CV charging algorithm, where in the first phase of charging, an initial constant current is used. When the battery reaches 4.2V, that voltage is kept constant, until the current dwindles to a percentage of the initial current ... and when that happens, the charge terminates. You may be as shocked as I was to learn that the vast majority of production chargers do NOT conform to the above well-known and manufacturer-approved specs. We'll talk about a few chargers that do, later. One thing we do want to do: make sure we use a charger that's been shown to use the correct algorithm. But we don't want to completely depend on correct operation: as a rule, put your charger on a relatively fire resistant surface, stay with it while it's charging, and take your batteries off the charger when the light turns green. Technically, we've improved our safety by using a battery with overcharge protection and a charger that uses the proper algorithm; but if those two things go bad (and let's face it, with your luck, they might :) ), bad things can happen.

The other thing to watch out for is that a li ion that's been discharged too low is not safe to recharge or use, in the light-your-house-on-fire sense. Again, we're talking about batteries with protection circuits that should protect against that, but those protection circuits cost a few cents and can go bad. Do not make it a habit of letting the protection circuit trip to tell you when to recharge. There's very little penalty for topping off Li Ion rechargeables, which is a nice feature of the technology, it means you can top off often. I suggest you do so. If the protection circuit fails to trip, you may be recharging from an unsafe voltage.

The other feature of recharging: you really don't want to recharge at over 1C for smaller LiCo batteries and .7C for larger ones – check your battery's specs to see the safe charging rate for your battery. C stands for the capacity of the battery. For example, a protected RCR123 currently is usually rated at 750 mAh. That means you don't want to use a charger that uses a current of greater than 750 mA, and really, you should stick with .8*750mA=600mA. Note that IMR batteries have different charging specs, with rates nearly reaching 3C.

A few examples now: the highly rated Pila IBC charger has a charging current of 600mA. That means you're good with batteries as small as a protected RCR123. But you certainly should not charge a 10440 (350 mAh) or smaller on this charger. For those of you who followed the now-recalled Jetbeam charger, you may remember me being critical in those threads. That's because Jetbeam claimed 10440 support for this charger, even though the charging current for a single battery could be as high as 1000 mAh. That's nearly 3C, and way outside manufacturer safety recommendations!!! So, I hope you now know how to tell if a charger's charging current is safe for a particular Li Ion battery: look at the capacity written on the battery, and stick to the battery manufacturer's recommendation; .7C will usually be safe, when in doubt.

For reference, below is a chart of a CC/CV charge. The interesting points:
• Current starts out constant, with voltage rising
• When voltage hits 4.2V, it gets held constant, while current diminishes
• Current reduces until it hits a cut-off threshold (50mA, in this case), at which point the charge terminates (current should be zero or close to it, at the cutoff).

Many production chargers miss the mark on a number of points, in particular, the final termination. This could lead to dangerous conditions,

A BIT MORE DETAIL ON CHARGING
Below is a graph of a charger that correctly follows a CC/CV algorithm, courtesy of HKJ of CPF. I include it so you can see what a charging cycle should look like. Again, many chargers do not follow the algorithm properly. Among the common problems: at the end of the cycle, the charger must terminate, but many chargers keep applying what is essentially a trickle charge, which is arguably a dangerous mistake, and a good reason to choose a charger which has been reviewed and proven to follow a reasonable approximation of CC/CV, and to follow good charging practices.

Below, what you see in the first portion of the graph is the CC (constant current) stage. In this case, the current is kept constant at 1.0A while the voltage rises. When the voltage hits 4.2V, the CV (constant voltage) stage starts, where 4.2V is applied and the current naturally falls. When the current matches the termination current, you see the charger terminate at the vertical yellow line – we know proper termination has been achieved because current drops to 0 abruptly at that spot.

LiIonChargeCurve.png

Another good practice is to have some way to measure the voltage of your Li Ion batteries, to make sure they're coming off the charger with safe voltages, that you haven't discharged to an unsafe voltage, etc. The LiCo batteries we've been discussing have been spec'ed to charge to 4.2V when fully charged, plus or minus .05V. Note that battery voltage will settle down a few hundredths of a volt, in the couple of hours after it comes of the charger; you can see that happening in the graph above, when the voltage represented by the red line starts sagging a bit after the yellow line indicating charge termination. If your battery is older, or you're using a spacer, you might see lower voltages, even below 4.15V. Using an inexpensive digital multimeter (DMM), or the voltmeter that's integrated into your Cottonpickers charger, you can check these voltages. I particularly do not want to see batteries coming off the charger higher than spec; if that happens, it's important to figure out why, and resolve the issue immediately. Below 1.5V, these batteries start forming shunts that can internally short the battery, leading to fire or explosion; if a battery gets down that low, I retire it.

USING (DISCHARGING) LI ION BATTERIES
LiCo batteries want to be discharged at no more than 2C (read the above section if you don't remember what "2C" means). For a 750 mAh protected RCR123, that means no more discharge than 1500 mA. IMR batteries can handle up to 8C. That means for a 16340 IMR at 550 mAh, no more than 4400 mA (4.4A). By knowing the current demand of a flashlight, you can tell how a battery will run.

More real-life examples. There are a couple of XML powered lights that run on a single CR123A or RCR123A/16340 to put out 400+ lumens. For example, Jetbeam and the Sunwayman V10R XML put out well over 400 lumens, and to reach that output, they are pulling well over 2A (2000 mA) from the battery. We know from experimenting, IMR batteries can outperform LiCo batteries in these lights, even though IMRs have lower capacity. Can you tell why, based on the discussion above? These lights are pulling way more than the manufacturer-recommended 2C for LiCo batteries, and those batteries sag quickly under the load. IMRs, which can handle the load, provide higher output for longer -- and the current requirements can be safely met by IMRs. I run an IMR in my v10r, and since IMRs do not have an overdischarge protection, I just take care to charge it often.

HOW DO I KNOW THE SPECS ABOVE?
You'll need to research some of the specs above yourself. I get the battery's manufacturer recommendations right from them. For example, AW posts the charge and discharge ratings on his batteries right on his forsale page on cpfmarketplace. I read reviews of chargers and lights to determine things like whether a charger is following the correct algorithm, what its initial charging current is, what a particular light's current draw on high is, etc. I learned most of what I know from the battery section on CPF, a good place for more advanced topics. I strongly suggest you be self-sufficient in determing safe ranges for your batteries and chargers – as I outlined above, there are flashlight and charger manufacturers making recommendations that are contrary to the recommendations from the battery manufacturers. I typically take the battery manufacturer's recommendations as primary, and will not use a battery in a light or charger whose specs are in contrast with the battery manufacturer's safe ranges.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR BEGINNER SETUPS
Li Ion technology is not the place to cheap out. Buy quality from the beginning for both safety and top performance. Here are the recommendations I make to my friends who are just starting:

Buy your protected LiCo or IMR batteries from these manufacturers, who have proven to have very high quality high-performing batteries:
• AW
• Redilast
• Callie's Kustoms

Buy your charger from these manufacturers, who have been shown in reviews to use proper CC/CV algorithm with proper termination:
• Pila IBC: use this to charge 1 or 2 batteries at 600mA
• 4sevens: single-bay charger, switchable between 500mA and 1000mA charging rates
• Cottonpickers: uses clips and magnets instead of a bay, and works off a USB port. You can order multiple configurations which have different charge rates. For example, I have a charger that I can set to 200mA or 500mA charge rates, to handle relatively bigger or smaller batteries (this is the only charger I'd use to charge a 10440, since I can charge that at a safe 200mA rate). This charger can also be bought with a built-in voltmeter so you can see the voltage on your batteries.

I specifically avoid and do not recommend any of the products from the *fire companies, etc., in my opinion they've been shown to have inconsistent quality. I'm not claiming the ones above are the only safe choices, but just ones I personally feel good about.

You also want to have a way to check the voltage on your batteries. An inexpensive Digital Multimeter (DMM) is generally good enough. The built-in voltmeter on a Cottonpickers charger is good as well. Thus armed, you can:
• Check the voltage of your batteries off the charger, to make sure they're not being dangerously overcharged
• Check the voltage of your batteries after use or long-term storage, to see if the voltage has dropped dangerously low (<1.5V), or if the protection circuit has tripped (0V).
• In multi-battery lights in which the batteries are in series, you can try to ensure you are using two batteries with about the same capacity, which will help avoid dangerous conditions that can occur when batteries are not balanced.

Last edited by a moderator:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Re: Feedback requested: Li Ion beginner primer

But you might think twice about charging an IMR 16340 (550 mAh) on this charger

Why that, I would have no problems charging a IMR 16340 on a 1A 18650 charger?

Also note that a good 18650 cell has higher capacity than 2xCR123 cells.

One of the advantages of LiIon is the charging, they can always be charged to full capacity, without loosing any lifetime on the cell.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why that, I would have no problems charging a IMR 16340 on a 1A 18650 charger?

HKJ, I appreciate your response... IMRs do have a 1C charge recommendation (right?), and you're charging at nearly 2C at 1A. Isn't it very likely you're hurting battery life by nearly doubling the recommended charging rate?

Also note that a good 18650 cell has higher capacity than 2xCR123 cells.

One of the advantages of LiIon is the charging, they can always be charged to full capacity, without loosing any lifetime on the cell.

Good points, I thought I reflected the 2nd point, I'll see if I can make that clearer. The point about LiCos potentially having more capacity than a different primary setup is a good one too

HKJ

Flashaholic

HKJ, I appreciate your response... IMRs do have a 1C charge recommendation (right?), and you're charging at nearly 2C at 1A. Isn't it very likely you're hurting battery life by nearly doubling the recommended charging rate?

Only regular LiIon, IMR can take much more. The IMR 16340 has a maximum charge rate of 1.5 ampere.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, I'm going to correct that in the initial post, but your response will serve to document who corrected it... I just looked up IMR specs and that confirmed your statement

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks like good info, that should probably be stickied.
It answers a lot of the same questions that get asked again and again and again... We could just direct people to a thread like this.
I think a lot of people go a wee bit overboard on the safety concerns and dangers of modern li-ions; but I guess it's much better to err in that direction than to be overly complacent, and have something go wrong, so I suppose that's okay. At least to make all the relevant warnings, and the user can decide for themselves.
Maybe a chart demonstrating what CC/CV looks like could be useful.
Something like this perhaps:
ntC9sH

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't have enough knowledge to add a lot here, but I'll pose a question that you could answer. It would be useful to add info on how low it is safe to discharge a lion to (ICR chemistry or IMR chemistry), and how protection circuits fit in with that. Also, I know some cell manufacturers note that cells should not be stored long term below a certain voltage.

Thanks for getting this together! I was actually just thinking today how useful this would be to have available, as most people asking lion questions just get told "use the search function" and "go to batteryuniversity.com". This will be a really handy resource for the CPF community once it is completed.

:twothumbs:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Li Ion beginner primer

Maybe a chart demonstrating what CC/CV looks like could be useful.

I believe that it is better with some markings on and also showing what happens after the charge current is turned off:
LiIonChargeCurve.png

This battery drops to 4.18 volt when charge current is turned of and is down to 4.16 volt after an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cavi Mike

Banned

What exactly is supposed to happen when you try to charge a Li-Ion battery that has been over-drained? I've had a few Li-Ion cel-phone type batteries go under-voltage and refuse to charge but I used a pretty shade-tree method to get them back to life and I know of 3 that are still in use and function normally.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys, lots of good comments, I'll start reflecting some of them. I like the idea of a graph in the charging section. HJK, do you own that graphic you just posted, and if so, do I have permission to include it in the guide with an attribution to you?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

CaviMike: if you are playing some kind of trick to recharge a battery which has been shut down by the protection circuit to prevent overdischarge, and it's still sitting around 2.7-3V, I'm not exactly sure what the dangers are, I don't understand the corner cases ... but if it's too much lower than that, for too long (<1.5V for a week?), the battery can form deposits that cause shorts, and become more fragile internal and susceptible to impact etc.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

Something like this is worth having
https://www.google.com/search?q=battery+charging+fireproof+bag

Easier (though less protection) than using a fireproof metal box, or a big concrete patio on which to do your recharging.
A photoelectric smoke alarm over the charging location is also a good idea.

Along with a clear awareness how _not_ to try to deal with a fire when a li-ion battery starts to go up in smoke.