Giveaway Thread (general info)

AmericanEDC

Newly Enlightened
I am in for the Nitecore TM26

Wow thank you. Very nice.

I'm relatively new to collecting and own no 18650 lights.

Let's see, something to give back...

"You don't get in life what you deserve, you get what you negotiate." Are words to live by. You really need to speak up for yourself and almost always get further with being nice than being rude.

...a good read to keep things in perspective:

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and It's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things From Taking Over Your Life (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786881852/?tag=cpf0b6-20

mina

Newly Enlightened

aDmmy3N_700b.jpg

Rolz

Newly Enlightened

Wonderful torch that I've love to own, thanks for the giveaway

funny_signs_6.jpg

TopGunRMNP

Newly Enlightened
"I am in for the Nitecore TM26" thanks doc! I have 18650's piled high, but 3 of my lights just died. Very very sad day indeed, I have been watching this Nitecore for a while now, but couldn't swing it.

One main use I would like for the light is my new found passion for "Light-Painting" as it is called in the DSLR world. This image was taken with my trusty STL-V2 before it finally died on our Honeymoon-Palooza-Roadtrip. A beautiful 5000yr old Bristlecone Pine at Great Basin National Park, now one my top-3 list for NP's you MUST see!

11429524_432258963623631_8725198668344992204_o.jpg

Thanks again,
Tony

Flashy808

Enlightened

I can just imagine it right now... Someone trying to scare the lights out (pun intended) of someone with this little pocket monster.

I know nobody will ever think about creeping up on me in the middle of the night if I get this.

Anyway, Great Idea Guys -Help those who can't afford something like this! :thumbsup:
imagejpeg

Last edited:

SardaoVoador

Newly Enlightened

Thanks to Thedoc007 and MoldyOldy!

The picture below is from NRP Antonio Enes, a Portuguese corvette during one of our SAR missions near shore.
© Nelson Vitorino, photographer.

173062_205093899507402_5044990_o.png

SardaoVoador

Newly Enlightened
Have you ever wondered how strong your password is? Kaspersky has a nice utility to test it by estimating how long it takes various computers to brute force crack it. For example the fastest computer in the world could theoretically brute force the following pass phrases:1. "Is this a good password to have" - 2 years2. "Is this a good password to have " - 2 centuries3. "Is this a good password to hav" - 22 centuriesNot that anyone would need that strong a password. However, they warn you not to test your real password with it but this gives you two good guidelines for a stronger password.1. Pick a sufficiently long pass phrase that's easy to remember.2. Drop or add even a single letter, number, or space.

OK, that's with brute force, but I tend to think a dictionary approach would be much faster. (?)

I haven't really found any good dictionary attack tester, mainly because (I think), grades would be to be attributed to every word, based on the commonness they are used for passwords, and no one can really do that.

Hackers out there, would this be correct?

Last edited:

chuckhov

Enlightened
@SaldaoVoador,

In your last post you just "quoted the phrase".

According to the rules, this constitutes a Double Entry, and you will be disqualified.

Please delete that portion of your post if you want to win.

Thanks!
-Chuck

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Dead" batteries often have 25 - 50% of thier potential energy remaining when used in high drain devices. This energy can be converted to light using a Joule Thief, or similar circuit. Here is a simple and (relatively) efficient circuit that can be built with recycled materials, or a low cost purchase at an electronics shop.
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Forever-Light-a-better-Joule-Thief/

Here is another circuit that is actually my favorite to build. Although not as efficient, it will drain a battery into the 0.5 - 0.6V range with declining brightness.
http://electronicdesign.com/site-fi...ctronicdesign.com/files/29/5886/figure_01.gif

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is my first wood working project, but now I want to rebuild all the furniture in my house lol. I have built a cluster of wall hanging shelves since this piece, and next up is out closet and pantry. Here is the built in entertainment center that got me started. The baseboard is a drawer also.
0902142136_zpssvmujf89.jpg
[/IMG]

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
OK, that's with brute force, but I tend to think a dictionary approach would be much faster. (?)

I haven't really found any good dictionary attack tester, mainly because (I think), grades would be to be attributed to every word, based on the commonness they are used for passwords, and no one can really do that.

Hackers out there, would this be correct?

It depends on the complexity of the algorithm used and the exact resources used. Password protection is very complicated, especially given the diverse (and at times, severely detrimental) limitations on passwords. For example, a dictionary-based attack may just look for common combinations such as an adjective paired with a noun and a short sequence of numbers.
Different types of attacks, however, will work better on different passwords. A brute-force attack will work better on 6 random alphanumeric characters than a phrase, and a short phrase of random words is more vulnerable to a dictionary-based attack. As far as passwords go, a few realistic good rules of thumb are to use a longer password, don't use repeating numbers or personal identifiers, and make a few simple swaps (change an i to a !, for example). Using XKCD's fun method and some swaps, you could have a password like "f!$h ice cream pleas3" and it's much stronger against multiple types of attacks and fairly easy to remember.

More importantly, if a person is trying to gain access to something of yours, they will either:
1. Be trying simple methods en masse
2. Have personal information on you from another source and are trying to gain financial reward from hacking you (and will use your information to try to hack more effectively)
3. Your data is insecure for some other reason, making you an easy target

Number 3 is the clincher. You can have an incredibly strong password, but it means nothing if someone else can get it easily. Unsecure wifi and mobile communications are always suspect; if you must send login or financial information over these, I'd recommend getting a reputable VPN service (many businesses use these as well for various reasons; there are free ones available that are better than nothing). At the very least, make sure you are using HTTPS and have network discovery and file sharing off. It is easy for a person to fake a wifi access point and skim details- be especially wary if there isn't some sort of login/EULA portal (most food services and hotels use one, it'll redirect you when you first open a web browser) or there are multiple similarly-named unsecured wifi networks (ie FastFoodFreeWifi and FastFoodFreeNetwork; I've never seen a fast food chain with two unsecured wifi networks in the same building).
On a similar note, use a strong password for your home network; you can simplify connecting using an NFC tag if you want. That also makes a fun project. ;p

At the end of the day, cybersecurity is only as strong as its weakest point, and hackers will always find new methods of attack or obtain larger botnets and faster computers. Maintaining good passwords is just one tool in keeping your data secure. Securing your connection, updating profile and recovery information, using antivirus software, configuring firewalls, etc. are all also important.

Sorry for the long post- I just like cybersecurity, and its an important topic in this day and age that seems to get oversimplified to "strong password" a lot.

SardaoVoador

Newly Enlightened
@SaldaoVoador,

In your last post you just "quoted the phrase".

According to the rules, this constitutes a Double Entry, and you will be disqualified.

Please delete that portion of your post if you want to win.

Thanks!
-Chuck

Thanks for that! I don't know how I missed the whole thing, I did read the rules on different occasions and never really thought about it that way. Just quoting a fellow member on a subject that I find interesting :p

Thanks again, cheers!

SardaoVoador

Newly Enlightened
@TheShadowGuy

Thank for the post, wasn't that long at all for all that could have been said. For what I understood, those particular sentences could , indeed, be easier to crack with a few good dictionaries.

What do you think about online password safes? I use one myself. I don't have any password smaller than "a lot" of random upper/lower/number/symbols and they are all different, so I feel the need to use an app for that. My login pass is borderline unbreakable, via brute or dictionary. But I always feel sketchy about using SW to store private information.

mattw

Newly Enlightened
My new Thorfire VG-10 came in today. That I an awesome little light! I really like to light color and it has a very tight beam. The build quality is excellent as well. I would recommend this light for purchase if you need a good factory light on a budget!

Thanks doc for the opertunity to try out this great light, I had been watching it and considering a purchase of it!

Matt

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
@TheShadowGuy

Thank for the post, wasn't that long at all for all that could have been said. For what I understood, those particular sentences could , indeed, be easier to crack with a few good dictionaries.

What do you think about online password safes? I use one myself. I don't have any password smaller than "a lot" of random upper/lower/number/symbols and they are all different, so I feel the need to use an app for that. My login pass is borderline unbreakable, via brute or dictionary. But I always feel sketchy about using SW to store private information.

Specifically online safes are massively convenient, but the worst-case scenario is pretty intense. Anything stored in the cloud can end up being hacked, even if a company is reputable; not to mention the various other methods that can be used to get that master password. The overall risk is pretty low as long you keep up with decent security practices at other points, and any decent company will have some worst-case protections. Personally, I don't like the extra bit of risk.
There are offline apps that can encrypt and store passwords, and wipe this data if someone tries to put in the wrong password too many times. I haven't looked into any specific ones, but they may be of some interest to you. Many good phones these days have some type of encryption support, which can help secure your data on your device, and make it next to impossible to get your passwords off one of these apps. Being on device, as long as you keep your device fairly secure (antivirus, disallow file sharing over unsecured wifi, etc.) you have convenient access to your passwords with less points of weakness (one device to keep secure versus an online service, the connection, the device, etc.).
Remember being told "don't write your passwords down?" That's one of those things that pose a theoretical risk. However, these days, keeping a small note with unlabeled passwords in a secure nondescript spot isn't much of a risk. Simple encoding (like shifting a letter or using some other basic cipher) can be used if you are still worried.
The whole goal isn't to make your stuff unbreakable- realistically, there will be points of weakness and not all of them will be controllable or have a perfect solution. The goal is to make it unfeasible to break using common methods, and to make yourself an uneconomical target with layers of security. That way, if any point gets compromised or you have to deal with a factor outside your control, you have other protections in place. Unsecure wifi? You have your network settings and firewall configured and are using HTTPS and a VPN. It's easier to find a new target with less protections than to break yours.

I'm always happy to discuss what I know about cybersecurity or give some tips to help you improve your security, but in the interest of not derailing this thread, please PM me if you have any more questions. :)

Latest posts