Good and Cheap Router?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
The Yeti said:
When your linksys fails, and you open it up, there will be a blown resistor of unknown value. I would recommend replacing this resistor with a 5 watt 1/2 ohm resistor. This usually fixes the problem, the original is a 1/4 watt resistor, and is not up to the task.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Yeti, but your confidence is a little unnerving. Going from .25W to 5w is a huge change, and I'm concerned that it can create a fire hazard.

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking in terms of fuses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

BN

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hey kinda off topic but about routers is there a cheap router that can thotle bandwith to a computer on my network..to keep em from hogging it all?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Probably be easier to do it with some sort of software Raggie...

[/ QUOTE ] ill look into that .

Blikbok

Enlightened
Odd. I have two linksys and one SMC routers. It's the SMC that is constantly getting rebooted, and the Linksys which is up 24/7. One I carry as a "network in a box" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an SMC Barricade for a couple of years now and I too can only say high accolades about it. I've had two, three computers hooked up to it at all times with no problems. I think the only time I've ever rebooted it was when I was making sure the DSL was down and not a router/modem problem (never was).

I wonder though. This has the standard NAT hardware firewall protection but in this day in age I wonder if I need more robust hardware firewall protection? I also run Norton Internet Security.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
only thing i dislike about linksys is my last firmware update erashed all my seting.s man i was frustraded since it took me a while to get it to work with my dsl modem and net work in a safe and secure manor

Tomas

Banned
router.gif

Good and Cheap Router. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a new Linksys BEFSR41 router a couple of weeks ago. So far it's been on constantly with no need to reboot. We'll see how it goes from here.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
geepondy, technically NAT isn't really a firewall. It does make it much harder for a hacker to get into your network, but you still should use a firewall. Fortunately even the cheap routers these days tend to offer both NAT and a firewall, and by all means you should use both. The firewall blocks all incoming traffic, while the NAT makes all the computers in your home network look like a single machine from the outside. If you use both these features plus keep your operating system as well as other software up-to-date with the various security patches that become available, you should have a reasonably safe environment.

Blikbok

Enlightened
I try hard to convince my friends with a single computer on broadband to get a router for the NAT, DHCP, and Firewall features. Only one listened. The others complain about SMS spam and pop-ups and...

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got broadband, the first thing I did was download zone alarm. I'm now running it on all my PC's. Just bought an older P II 400 mhz. PC to run smoothwall on.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also if there are any router/firewall experts here, does one need stateful packet inspection of Denial of Service protection that some of the more expensive routers offer?

CiTY

Enlightened
I have 3 cisco routers, a Linksys, a SMS barricade, and a old bay router... I simulate the internet running BGP in a home test enviroment. Not to mention the half dozen different operating system pc-servers in the setup, and fiber gigabit stuff too... I've see some problems in the newer linksys stuff. Didn't have the chance to debug the problem, just told the user to "reboot". My basement office gets noisy with all this stuff running...

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
CiTY, dude! I've got 10 computers deployed all around our house, all networked and Internet accessible. But a couple years ago I started learning how to mod the computers to make them silent. Now no one even notices most of the computers, even while they're running. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For what it's worth, check out the CPF of silent computing, SilentPcReview.com.

CiTY

Enlightened
Well, the computers only generate half the noise, the routers generate the other half, I have the internet-industrial strength type of routers(ISP) that heat my basement in the winter. The routers provide me with a test enviroment for BGP4, optical fiber Gigbit routing, ISP dialup, etc...

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
hey kinda off topic but about routers is there a cheap router that can thotle bandwith to a computer on my network..to keep em from hogging it all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read on the web that you can setup a Linux proxy box to throttle the bandwidth also.

Latest posts