Good lights in Japan

ico

Enlightened
Do you know if there are any good flashlights that can be bought in Japan? Or maybe some kind of specialty light?

I also heard that you can only get D sized eneloops there? (Not spacers or jacket but real D sized niMh)
Did they make a specific charger for the D cells?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly, i never heard of any japan lights
Most goodie comes from either USA or China

nisshin

Enlightened
I also heard that you can only get D sized eneloops there? (Not spacers or jacket but real D sized niMh)
Did they make a specific charger for the D cells?
Here's a link to the Eneloop Japanese site (in Japanese): Eneloop line-up. There are D, C, AA, and AAA sizes, as well as "chocolate tones" and "Disney" models.

buds224

Enlightened
Here's a link to the Eneloop Japanese site (in Japanese): Eneloop line-up. There are D, C, AA, and AAA sizes, as well as "chocolate tones" and "Disney" models.

Yes, these eneloops are accessible here in Japan; seen them in the Daiei Mall. As far as Flashlights, I haven't found any yet that are worth mentioning. I won't really know until I've swept through Akihabara. If I see anything, I'll be sure to update this post.

GaAslamp

Enlightened

Chocolate-colored and Disney-themed batteries? :eek:oo: Much like the old saying "Only in America" there should be one that goes "Only in Japan." ;) No offense intended, of course, as every country has its peculiarities, like the US and firearms or Korea and kimchi. It is kind of unexpected that Japan apparently isn't big on flashlights, though. :thinking:

Wow, the eneloop pro with it's min. capacity of 2400 mAh looks very nice. Any way to get them outside of Japan?

Not that I've seen so far, although I have purchased a couple of its precursor, the eneloop XX, for use with my 1xAA EDC flashlight. They were double the price of the standard eneloop, and are only rated for 500 charge cycles, but I wanted to try them anyway. How could I justify this? Well, I only recharge one of them every week or so on the average, which works out to 19 years of service (assuming they don't rot from old age by then :laughing:) and about the same capacity at the end of life that standard eneloops have at the beginning of life. In the meantime, for an extra $5 my EDC flashlight can run about 25% longer between charges. Is that necessary? No, but $5 is a small fraction of what I paid for the flashlight, so why not?

Never mind that, though--where can I get Mickey Mouse batteries? :huh:

buds224

Enlightened
I was at Daiei Mall today and picked up a couple of these. I don't know what the specs are since I can't read the packaging, but here are a couple of pics. They ran for 598 Yen (approx. $7.36 as of today [x-change rates change daily])

Cool little lights, available in Blue, Grey, and Pink.

IMG_1506-vi.jpg
IMG_1508-vi.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Digging those chocolate and Disney batteries..

And if you want Japanese products that are vastly different and superior, look into their portable radios, they take their radio listening very seriously..

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
About made in Japan lights...

Toyota makes some flashlights (at least one that I know of)

...but...

the best thing will be the Torpedo (just look for "500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress" part 1 and 2), provided TGWNN keeps sourcing locally. Obviously, those won't hit the stores for a while, if at all...

buds224

Enlightened
Just wanted to update this thread.....found that HOMES in Yokosuka, Japan is now selling a wide selection of LED Lenser flashlights and headlamps. Gonna research some of them to see if any of them suit me.

azzid

Newly Enlightened
@buds224

Daiei Mall? same as tokyuhands? that's the only dept. store in tokyo(I know) that carries fenix and SF lights. There's also a stall near akiba station that sells almost a complete line-up of gentos(except lanterns) and current models of LedLensers.

I see a lot of ohm branded lights at donki too.

buds224

Enlightened
@buds224

Daiei Mall? same as tokyuhands? that's the only dept. store in tokyo(I know) that carries fenix and SF lights. There's also a stall near akiba station that sells almost a complete line-up of gentos(except lanterns) and current models of LedLensers.

I see a lot of ohm branded lights at donki too.

Daiei and Donki didn't have much of a selection in our area. Tokyu hands was decent....Fenix and Surefire, but the selections were still scarce. Which stall in Akiba had the gentos?.....I'll have to look for that next time.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Guy With No Name (CPF member, company name MatchBox Instruments or MBI) is in Japan and makes custom lights. He's located in the customs section of the forum. Excellent quality products and well rated by CPErs who know. Check this thread if you'd like to hear comments from well-known CPF members.

I hope the links don't interfere with the rules under the current conditions (sorry if it's the case):

The MBI Torpedo is now at the Beta stage and I believe there are still a few available for purchase

The MBI HF (stands for Holy F...lashlight) has been available for a while now and is probably the most powerful keychain in the world, at up to a 500 lumens burst on a 10280. Warning: you must understand how to use a non-protected Li-Ion cell in a direct-drive light to use this one, but it definitely makes me laugh like mad everytime I turn it on :D

The MBI Core Ti is quite the piece of jewelry and comes in 2 formats of watch batteries with a 5mm LED and has been around for over a year.

buds224

Enlightened
The Guy With No Name (CPF member, company name MatchBox Instruments or MBI) is in Japan and makes custom lights. He's located in the customs section of the forum. Excellent quality products and well rated by CPErs who know. Check this thread if you'd like to hear comments from well-known CPF members.

I hope the links don't interfere with the rules under the current conditions (sorry if it's the case):

The MBI Torpedo is now at the Beta stage and I believe there are still a few available for purchase

The MBI HF (stands for Holy F...lashlight) has been available for a while now and is probably the most powerful keychain in the world, at up to a 500 lumens burst on a 10280. Warning: you must understand how to use a non-protected Li-Ion cell in a direct-drive light to use this one, but it definitely makes me laugh like mad everytime I turn it on :D

The MBI Core Ti is quite the piece of jewelry and comes in 2 formats of watch batteries with a 5mm LED and has been around for over a year.

I've read some info about the MBI, but had no idea he was in Japan. That's sweet! Thanks for the links. The HF looks nice.

azzid

Newly Enlightened
@buds224
It's at the radio market. Turn left after central gate exit(walk pass atre1 bldg). Turn left again on the first alley and you/won't miss it. First stall on the right opposite of another stall selling led strips and bulbs, they've got a lot of lights hanging and displayed on the wall.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read some info about the MBI, but had no idea he was in Japan. That's sweet! Thanks for the links. The HF looks nice.

No problem, glad to share. The HF IS very nice... gotta go grab mine and start the mad scientist laugh again! :devil: