Growing Tired of Downer Attitudes ...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an interesting discussion, though, and it's remaining civil.

On the face of it all, how complicated can a flashlight be? When an interested party comes to CPF, it, very quickly, becomes pretty complicated. Then add in the "CPF-Speak" and all the techno-terms, and it can be overwhelming.

However, I think it is incumbent on the new person to do some research on their own, and not populate the forums with redundancy.

Wasn't there a CPF Wiki? I think a well maintained Wiki, with clear pointers to it would cut down on a lot of the re-postings of commonly asked questions, and streamline the forum's content.

burntoshine

Enlightened
i think that unnecessary/redundant threads will go away when bad/inconsiderate drivers go away. there will most likely always be noobs joining that haven't yet been told and don't think to use the search function.

i've never told someone that they should try using the search. what i've done on occasion is post a link to another thread (sometimes mentioning that i searched for it) and hope that maybe they'll realize that they could've found the thread the same way; or most of the time what i do is just ignore the thread. as long as people are polite when suggesting search, i think it's okay; but some people are quite mean about it and there's just no reason for that.

what bothers me more is when people seem to think their opinions are more correct than others when it comes to tint, battery type, brands, clickie vs. twisty, blinky modes (strobe, s.o.s., beacon) vs. no blinkies. people have preferences and while i think it can be useful to discuss why you like what you like, (again) there's no reason to get upset and be mean about it, but it seems to happen a lot.

this forum is generally great and i think is filled with quite a lot of really nice, helpful people. but like any group, there's always those few that can make for some unpleasant experiences.

i know there have been posts that i've made that when i later thought about, i regretted making for one reason or another. i hope i learn from my own mistakes as well as others.

...just some of my thoughts.

happy searching and posting everyone! :)

balou

Enlightened
Id rather ask a question and get an answer immediately, instead of wasting hours and hours skimming thru a bunch of confusing posts. Thats the whole reason i join forums, to talk to actual real people....not google.

The problem is where to draw the line between "worth asking" and "trivial question, use the search".
As particularly bad examples http://wiki.answers.com/ and http://answers.yahoo.com/ come to mind. Every moron is allowed to ask the dumbest of questions (as apparent by many failblog entries concerning yahoo answers...).

If the question would be answered by looking at the threads listed on the first page, or a very simple search or just a look at the manufacturers website, or if the post is barely comprehensible - then I understand the 'use the search' attitude. Even worse if the poster didn't supply enough information to answer his question. And if he has <10 posts, then its likely he'll never return to fill in the gaps needed to answer his question (and people start to wonder if he'll ever read any of the answers anyway).

So in short: people will usually get miffed if they think the OP is a lazy bum with a 'gimme info NOW' attitude - especially if it's a very short question. Where to draw that line is subjective. But I think it helps a lot if people provide some info what they already searched, what their special needs are, or what they currently think is the answer to their problem but not being sure about it. Or just something personal - the difference between "GIVE INFO" and a discussion.

Budman231

Enlightened
This is the forum I frequent the most and probably one of the more popular. Furthermore if I had, most of the people that would benefit the most from reading it wouldn't see it.

I agree.
Budman231, your not exactly a newbie, you've been a member for over 4 years, I'd at least expect you to post this thread in the correct forum.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
What most don't understand is we aren't talking about space. There is an end to what can be known. Once you know it all, all you can do is sit on your mountain and help others up.

Think about it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The problem is where to draw the line between "worth asking" and "trivial question, use the search".
As particularly bad examples http://wiki.answers.com/ and http://answers.yahoo.com/ come to mind. Every moron is allowed to ask the dumbest of questions (as apparent by many failblog entries concerning yahoo answers...).

If the question would be answered by looking at the threads listed on the first page, or a very simple search or just a look at the manufacturers website, or if the post is barely comprehensible - then I understand the 'use the search' attitude. Even worse if the poster didn't supply enough information to answer his question. And if he has <10 posts, then its likely he'll never return to fill in the gaps needed to answer his question (and people start to wonder if he'll ever read any of the answers anyway).

So in short: people will usually get miffed if they think the OP is a lazy bum with a 'gimme info NOW' attitude - especially if it's a very short question. Where to draw that line is subjective. But I think it helps a lot if people provide some info what they already searched, what their special needs are, or what they currently think is the answer to their problem but not being sure about it. Or just something personal - the difference between "GIVE INFO" and a discussion.

Then simply skip the thread and let patient members answer. When I first got here I had no idea WHAT to search let alone how to sift through 100's of potential answers. You don't like the gimme now attitude? I don't like the "you SHOULD know how to find that out attitude". When I first got here the only manufacturers I had ever heard of were maglite and rayovac. You expect someone like that to be able to search and decipher what the best options are?

The "Go search" remarks are condescending and rude IMO.

The poster doesn't always KNOW what to ask for! They don't KNOW lux vs. lumens nor throw vs flood let alone vF or the connection between amps measured at the tail and output. The average guy just thinks "bright".

The advanced search function here seldom finds anything (I usually get no answer at all) and the general search finds so many answers a person doesn't know where to start.

There's always going to be some new member asking, "What is the brightest flashlight that uses AA batteries". If it bores you I suggest you skip the thread. With new flashlights coming out all the time the answers DO change over time.

If you want to be nice post a link to thread that answers the question (or better yet simply answer it yourself if you can). If you want to be pedantic and mean tell the poor soul to go search.

It is my contention that there is NEVER an appropriate time to "get miffed with the lazy bum"! Coming here and asking questions IS doing research.

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Id rather ask a question and get an answer immediately, instead of wasting hours and hours skimming thru a bunch of confusing posts. Thats the whole reason i join forums, to talk to actual real people....not google.
I already left about half a page full of comment and display of my feelings on this issue over in the "Please use the search function" thread but frankly you manage to say in two sentences what I took several paragraphs to say.

Bravo!

sabre7

Enlightened
Maybe a "New User/Beginner" or "Frequently Asked Questions" sub-forum would be helpful?

While some may regard often-asked or simple questions as redundant and a waste of time, others don't mind answering them and could drop in to help out.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
This is the forum I frequent the most and probably one of the more popular. Furthermore if I had, most of the people that would benefit the most from reading it wouldn't see it.

Ahuh....Bingo!
So you knew which forum to post it in but decided to post it in the LED section because it gets the most traffic.
I don't want to sound like I'm preaching or anything, but what the mods say, usually goes. They aren't over stressing about posting threads in the correct forum for no reason. If you scroll up as far as you can go, you will see some text in red, under the CPF logo.... makes for good reading. I think this belongs in the Cafe, has nothing to do with flashlights whatsoever.

bansuri

Enlightened
Ahuh....Bingo!
So you knew which forum to post it in but decided to post it in the LED section because it gets the most traffic.
I don't want to sound like I'm preaching or anything, but what the mods say, usually goes. They aren't over stressing about posting threads in the correct forum for no reason. If you scroll up as far as you can go, you will see some text in red, under the CPF logo.... makes for good reading. I think this belongs in the Cafe, has nothing to do with flashlights whatsoever.

I've seen posts moved after a lot less than 52 replies so I guess the mods see that it's getting a lot of views and responses and have let it play out.
Who could complain about a thread written by a guy who's actually contributed something to the LED flashlights forum?

Perhaps a "Which light should I get" roundup of posts sticky would be the place for new folks to start?

I also agree that a Wiki would be awesome, but how to begin something like that?

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Maybe a "New User/Beginner" or "Frequently Asked Questions" sub-forum would be helpful?

While some may regard often-asked or simple questions as redundant and a waste of time, others don't mind answering them and could drop in to help out.

Then nobody goes there so nothing gets answered. How about we simply answer the questions or skip the posts if not interested?

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking:
What exactly does that link have anything to do with my post?

just posting a related thread that is in the *right* forum:naughty: :) ( I guess I should've put a +1 in the above quote to show I was in agreement & not rebutting it)
nothing more.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I have to agree with Budman231. If a new post seems like a repeat to you as a CPF user don't post anything rather than a negative response. Let someone else answer the poster's question.

Just a thought.
Actually the best thing you could do if you notice a duplicate thread would be to find the original (since you know it exists) and post a link to it. That saves everyone a little grief because nobody has to answer the question twice and the threadstarter doesn't have to figure out the idiosyncrasies of yet another search engine before they can get the answer they were looking for.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
just posting a related thread that is in the *right* forum:naughty: :) ( I guess I should've put a +1 in the above quote to show I was in agreement & not rebutting it)
nothing more.

Oh, how did I miss that lol... had a long couple of days, need more rest. I apologize if I offended you. :laughing::sleepy:

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
We owe it to the community as a whole, to encourage new/less skilled folks. To attract the next gen CPFers. The more comfortable people feel asking questions and sharing news, the better the community will be.:twothumbs

+2

Now if I were a Moderator up there on Mount Olympus I might be inclined to treat the unenlightened with more charity than I would a flashaholic who should know better.

dwever

Newly Enlightened
Some months ago I found this forum using Google trying to get information to update my duty light. First question or so I asked I was nicely admonished that the question had been asked before and was given a link. That didn't insult me, I needed the instruction, I was thrilled to have the link, I got the answer. Anytime you enter a new community there is a learning curve and assimilation in to the culture, particularly if you are new to the topic as I am. I don't mind if someone has to help me with boundaries.

I've learned a lot here, it's a little quirky, and I'm glad to have the place of reference.