Growing Tired of Downer Attitudes ...

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread really needs to be in the Cafe or appropriate section.

GrnXnham

Enlightened
I agree with others here that CPF is one of the friendliest forums that I've encountered, and I frequent lots of different types of forums.

While there are always a few people who like to be the "forum police," I never leave this forum feeling like I've just been viciously attacked for asking a stupid question.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for having some mercy on the new people.

When I first came here it blew my mind how nice and eager other members were to share their knowledge with me. In the past my internet dwelling (playing online games) was in a place where people were often put down for not knowing something, and even made fun of for asking questions or making a mistake. It was refreshing to me to encounter a vast wealth of interactive person to person knowledge where I could ask a direct question, and not be thought of as ignorant or stupid because I didn't understand what seemed clear to others.

I for one would like to encourage the inquisitiveness of both new and old members alike, and will gladly offer what I can in the cases where others may be tired of repeating themselves.

I am NOT saying new people shouldn't use the search, or star a thread for every single question. However I would like to see the spirit of generosity that I first encountered here to continue. At times a direct question or new thread may be the only option a new person can think of, because they don't know what they are even "searching" for.

If the only time a new thread was started was when somthing that had never been talked about ocurred, there would only be new threads when Cree, Fivemega or some other company released a new product.

I hesitate just a bit to even say this, because I don't want to be viewed as rebellious, or being critical of authority in any way, because I hold all admins/mods here in high regard, and am grateful for all their hard work. But I have even seen post even by mods that seemed harsh to me. It may not have been intentional, and its not the fact that a new persons thread was closed etc, but the shortness in the way they were told. I realize that is is a HUGE job to keep CPF running properly, and that when action is taken its possibly the 50th time in a week you have told someone NOT TO DO THAT! But please try to remember it is only the first time the new person has heard it:confused:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition, as other have mentioned people putting the lights they own in their sig line can render searches for more historical info very ineffective and a time consuming.

THIS is a huge problem I seem to always encounter with the search.

What most don't understand is we aren't talking about space. There is an end to what can be known. Once you know it all, all you can do is sit on your mountain and help others up.

Think about it.

Nicely put Search!

One thing I don't get is the "use the search" guys say these threads create clutter and what not, well how much space are these guys taking up just to say "use the search". In fact I think I shall use the search to see how many of these pop up. Same with the "this needs to be in the right section" posts it's a bit late now, it's not like the OP can move the thread and the mods don't need to be told in the thread to move a certain post.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
FOr the re-posts like, "Which light should I use for..", or "Which is the brightest", or "Help me choose..", "Looking for AA...". I'm actually quite please to see these kind of "re-posts" from new and different members, it shows that the community is growing. And some of the information posted are quite fresh. If a topic clearly shows there's no need for repeating answers, just point them to the right direction. Because of the growing community, the people whom you have recommended lights to them are now recommending lights to new members. I too, came here and never knew about how far LEDs had progressed. Because of these new posts that I tagged along, guided me to a whole new level of information and did plenty of research on my part and still learning. We have an enormous amount of resources right here in CPF and most of it are scattered. And the people who has been here long enough have the knowledge and information should share and guide new members when there's a need.

You'll never know that one day the person you helped may turn up being your flashlight reviewer, trader, dealer or manufacturer :p

jankj

Enlightened
Some months ago I found this forum using Google trying to get information to update my duty light. First question or so I asked I was nicely admonished that the question had been asked before and was given a link. That didn't insult me, I needed the instruction, I was thrilled to have the link, I got the answer. Anytime you enter a new community there is a learning curve and assimilation in to the culture, particularly if you are new to the topic (... 8< ... )

Exactly. If I ever feel the urge to say "search" I tell myself to to post a link to some relevant results. (Sometimes finding these "relevant results" is not as easy as it should have been... a great exercise in humility... )

A _*helpful*_ reply with a polite "this is how to search" - reminder goes a lot further than just cluttering the thread with "SEARCH FOR IT" noise... and is a lot more inviting and welcoming way to treat new members.

If you've got nothing else to say than "search" I suggest you let someone else reply....

awid

Newly Enlightened
I was actually thinking the other day how much more mature this forum is then every other forum I'm on. Must be the age differential. I doubt many on here are just old enough to drink like myself.

Ozgeardo

Newly Enlightened
Can't help but put my 2 cents worth in on the subject :D

It was only a few years ago when I was a "computa novice" and the Internet was a "dark art" ;)

Now I frequent about 4 forums on a semi regular basis (I do not live by my "computa"). In my quest for electronic information I have dabbled on about a dozen other forums to which I no longer venture due to less than hospitable members. I can say that everyone on CPF that has mixed words with me has at least been polite and when I have made a "newbie" error I have acknowledged that and continued on my learning curve.

Yes there are rules and protocols (to which we all need some guidelines) above all commonsense should prevail. There will continue to be "Newbies" some of whom may venture into the forum as their first experience, others who don't know the lingo and acronyms to search effectively (hey it has been a learning curve for me).

Some people just want a chat or social interaction with like minded people :popcorn: and I think that is OK if we all share some common interests. Posts which prompt discussion on matters that may have been dealt with in the past is all well and good if used with moderation and some degree of protocol.

Yes I have some pet hates (people please think about key words in headings of new posts to make search that much more efficient) but regardless I am yet to experience any negative attitude in feedback from replies to any of my posts. lovecpf

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
I think a lot of us computaholic/foraholics forget that it's not necessarily intuitive how to get the right answers via search, standard forum etiquette, etc. Lots of folks are a bit nervous about getting on the big bad internet. Newbies don't necessarily have fire hardened hides like the rest of us.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
one important thing ya'll arent considering is that new people like me, dont know what all the abbreviations you use, mean. For example, i have no idea what a TSA is. I would have to ask a real person. I also spent countless hours trying to figure out what a CR123 battery was. As soon as i asked it as a question, i got an answer. Here in fact, is my exact post.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/256516

Notice how one guy in there had to mention the search feature, while 3 or 4 other gave me the info i needed immediately.

In the time it took you to write "try using the seach feature" you could have instead wrote the answer to my question. Am i wrong? :thinking:

No, you're not wrong. And certainly no one expects you to search for the answer to your question for several hours. However, and this happens alot, someone who is new will post a question. And, a Regular will recall having seen the answer in an old thread. Regular uses the search function himself, and in less than 5 minutes comes up with the answer.

Now that is indeed a bit annoying. It also shows that the new guy didn't even try to find the answer on his own. Like I said, searching for hours through old threads is not expected of anyone. But if I can find the answer in 5 minutes or less by using the search function ... That's a different story.

rje58

Enlightened
I think it still depends on what search terms you used to find the answer, and whether or not those search terms would have been obvious to the OP.

Like I said, searching for hours through old threads is not expected of anyone. But if I can find the answer in 5 minutes or less by using the search function ... That's a different story.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it still depends on what search terms you used to find the answer, and whether or not those search terms would have been obvious to the OP.

Definately, especially for those of us (including myself) who aren't the greatest with words and lack a thesaurus

Ragiska

Flashaholic*

i lost count of how many times i've seen a regular type the EXACT question of the OP into the search and have an EXACT answer within the top 10 results, all in less than 60 seconds.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Yes, I'm referring to obvious terms.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
60 seconds is what it takes my internet service to load one page. (satellite) then i have to read 10 pages for each post, just to realize im no closer to an answer...

one important thing ya'll arent considering is that new people like me, dont know what all the abbreviations you use, mean. For example, i have no idea what a TSA is. I would have to ask a real person.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Transportation Security Administration is talked about a lot here. Could that be it?

Machine_head

Newly Enlightened
You know this is true of life in general...people are so quick to try and make somebody feel bad or stupid...more so over the internet because you can get away with being horrible "to someones face"...:sigh:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You know this is true of life in general...people are so quick to try and make somebody feel bad or stupid...more so over the internet because you can get away with being horrible "to someones face"...:sigh:

I believe the OP is over-exaggerating the situation.

CPF is one of, if not THE friendliest sites you'll ever encounter on the web. Try the forums over at Spyderco's official website for another great place to visit.

Now, if you're a masochist and enjoy being treated like crap, head over to the General forum on BladeForums.com

Archie Cruz

Banned
TSK TSK TSK.
Cut & Paste > MOST forums are very poorly designed from the point of view of Information Architecture and knowledge management. This lamentation is VERY old and yes, I've been the biggest complainer. Once I discovered WHY they are deliberately poor, I relaxed. MOST forums are just trying to boost traffic stats and to do that you have to have hobbled Information Architecture and knowledge management. That's why CPF ranks so highly on the charts ;)
SEARCH is the key. But do you know how to use SEARCH? Learn how and your pain and suffering will be diminished.:welcome:

Archie Cruz

Banned
OT- this caught my eye...
"Gel shoe inserts - Gel shoe inserts are not permitted, but shoes constructed with gel heels are allowed and must be removed and screened."
Wowah!