Gruesome Walking Dead Zombie Merge Horror. Which flashlight would you EDC?

Darvis

Enlightened
Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

Yeah, I was on the cuff about posting the solar, but I knew folks might be asking how the heck we keep all this stuff running. I've used both chargers extensively while camping and can confirm that you can keep your lights fed on sun alone, especially where you might use the light sparingly during the night and only need to top off.

BTW, Milky Floodmaster on the right for sure, but that L1-BK-RD... she'd be factory stock I say! It's proof that hens have teeth.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: A new twist - show us your zombie lights collection and explain why you chose the

I'm not worthy... :eek:oo: I'm certainly not short of lights and cells for myself, Wife, son and stepdaughter, but you've got me thinking about more "loaner lights" for neighbors, local L.E./ fire, etc. G2's are still available and cheap, I may need a Nitrilon 3 cell for added versatility. I've got a Valiant Concepts 2xAA twisty and the twin to your McG 2xAA, but they both need my VME heads to run the Malkoffs. I'll re-take and add to my pics this week. Keep 'em coming! :)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

My ZPAW lights are as follows:

WEAPON LIGHTS:
-AR: M600C Scoutlight (KL4 model)
-870 Marine Magnum: SureFire 918FA
-700: M981 (12V Scope Mounted Weapon-Light; i.e. essentially an M4).
-S&W .40: Insight M4

HANDHELDS:
-M3LT; My "Force Multiplier Light" for when I may encounter violent engagments, etc.; will double as a search light.
-M4/M6: Search Light
-4th/5th Gen L1: Will run for 3 months straight; Nuff said. Reading/low profile light.
-E2L-AA: This will be my go-to/main use light. I have about 24 Duraloops I keep charged, and a solar panel to charge them when they go dead. Also have a battery pack (for jumping cars) that has various outlets; I keep this topped off, and will use it recharge my duraloops/radios/etc. as needed.
-E2L: Again, for the extra long runtimes.
-Kroma Mil-Spec: Will be used quite a bit, since the NVG provides awesome low nav light, and serves to also help conceal your position/activities.
-L2: The natural flood of this will make it a great light for navigating outdoors and closed in areas, like storm drains, etc. ( I know...people always say don't use these...if it rains they're dangerous...blah-blah-blah. If it's 90 out with no clouds, I WILL use the strom drain to conceal my movement as needed).
-LX2: Back-up EDC/Tactical.
-Have about 8 "D" lights (Mags/Fultons) with Nite-Ize 10mm's that will be Bug In utility/general purpose lights for the family, etc. >30 days runtime on a set of cells.

For those who may be interested:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-yer-own-quot-Battery-Vampire-quot-with-a-P60

Darvis

Enlightened

I'm not worthy... :eek:oo: I'm certainly not short of lights and cells for myself, Wife, son and stepdaughter, but you've got me thinking about more "loaner lights" for neighbors, local L.E./ fire, etc. G2's are still available and cheap, I may need a Nitrilon 3 cell for added versatility. I've got a Valiant Concepts 2xAA twisty and the twin to your McG 2xAA, but they both need my VME heads to run the Malkoffs. I'll re-take and add to my pics this week. Keep 'em coming! :)

The funny thing.. as much as I've tried to teach my family to be prepared, they've learned that I am, so instead of preparing... they just come to me! Anyway, when the Zombies do attack, I want my own top picks for lights, so I keep loaners for the un-dead.. er.. un-prepared

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, the lights are very cool, but keeping them running IS KEY! Your average zombie apocalypse is no 72 hour affair after all. ;-)
I'm Impressed.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

My ZPAW lights are as follows: (will post pics shortly)

WEAPON LIGHTS:
-AR: M600C Scoutlight (KL4 model)
-870 Marine Magnum: SureFire 918FA
-700: M981 (12V Scope Mounted Weapon-Light; i.e. essentially an M4).
-S&W .40: Insight M4

HANDHELDS:
-M3LT; My "Force Multiplier Light" for when I may encounter violent engagments, etc.; will double as a search light.
-M4/M6: Search Light
-4th/5th Gen L1: Will run for 3 months straight; Nuff said. Reading/low profile light.
-E2L-AA: This will be my go-to/main use light. I have about 24 Duraloops I keep charged, and a solar panel to charge them when they go dead. Also have a battery pack (for jumping cars) that has various outlets; I keep this topped off, and will use it recharge my duraloops/radios/etc. as needed.
-E2L: Again, for the extra long runtimes.
-Kroma Mil-Spec: Will be used quite a bit, since the NVG provides awesome low nav light, and serves to also help conceal your position/activities.
-L2: The natural flood of this will make it a great light for navigating outdoors and closed in areas, like storm drains, etc. ( I know...people always say don't use these...if it rains they're dangerous...blah-blah-blah. If it's 90 out with no clouds, I WILL use the strom drain to conceal my movement as needed).
-LX2: Back-up EDC/Tactical.
-Have about 8 "D" lights (Mags/Fultons) with Nite-Ize 10mm's that will be Bug In utility/general purpose lights for the family, etc. >30 days runtime on a set of cells.

For those who may be interested:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-yer-own-quot-Battery-Vampire-quot-with-a-P60

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Slightly off-topic, but I'd recommend a good watch.

You'll need to know when the Sun is about to go down. In Winter, that's going to be around 5pm. (Best to avoid going out at night with the zombies around.) Quartz watches have batteries that die. Only exception would be a Citizen Eco-Drive model. Those have been known to go as long as a decade before needing to have the watches sent back to Japan for a new rechargeable battery.

Certain automatic / mechanical models work well too, since there's no battery to replace. But the accuracy and ruggedness tends to be much less than even a basic cheap quartz watch. If one is constantly running from zombies, a date as well as day of the week feature can come in handy in maintaining a sense of normalcy, as far as keeping track of time in a more than general sense.

Darvis

Enlightened

Deleted (duplicate)

Last edited:

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow thats a nice rifle, looks like M4 with 30-round mag
Full auto or semi-only??

scout24

Flashaholic

Replaced really bad pics with some almost as bad, and a bump! We need more pics, folks!!! :party:

scout24

Flashaholic

Duplicate, Sorry...

Darvis

Enlightened

I'm reaching out to the candle manufacturer. (actually, visit this thread)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/311118

I'm fessing up as the candle manufacturer (actually, just the DIY info guy) for the benefit of those who have pinged me recently about the build and others that may be interested.

The thread link above will tell you all you need to know about the build, it truly is a DIY project that I encourage you all to try.. it's cheap and fun to boot.

No, I will not build one for anyone at any price, I simply do not have the time between work and family. I will, however, give anyone any info or answer any questions about parts, the build, etc. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions, but the thread above does a pretty good job of showing you the basics. Others have added GREAT ideas for magnetic battery leads, circuits, etc. Please feel free to add any ideas or information as you see fit.. please!!!

The Neutral LEDs were sourced from Super Bright Leds, they have proven to be great little 5mm guys. I have their neutral and warm versions, the warm ones are super warm though, around 3000k. They are the most "candle Like" The best part is that neither of them are the slightest bit angry blue

If you really want the best candle money can buy, reach out to Milky. My DIY Joule Thief? Yugo... Milky Candle? Ferrari...

Once the walking dead come, and you have no light with you because you needed a Zagnut and figured you could get to the nearest QT and back before the Mayan Calendar hit gold, so you left WITHOUT your man purse.. well, you'd better get all McGuyver before you get eaten.

NOW GO KILL SOME ZOMBIES!!!

And just to keep this all on topic, another favorite Zombie light. My glo-powder modified Peak Eiger sub-zero:

15egyeq.jpg

52j49d.jpg

2vujyw1.jpg

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I guess I inadvertently 'outed' Darvis as the builder of my cool joule candle. And as he says, the Milky candle is definitely the pinnacle of this concept.

I'm lazy when it comes to gathering parts. Take a magnet from a CFL bulb? Nah. Google where I can buy full kits? YES! I don't believe that we are supposed to link to outside suppliers, but if you Google "Mad Scientist Hut", then search on his site you'll find that he has many different parts and full kits for the 'innards' of the joule thief. After that, it's left to your own imagination how you put it together.

I'm thinking of taking an old amber colored plastic pill bottle and putting everything inside, installing a switch on the outside. Then when 'on' it'll offer up a "glow"....hmmm

:thinking:

Anyway, many thanks to Daryl for his offer of assistance. He personifies the spirit of the best of this forum!:thumbsup: And this little light is truly appropriate for a 'zombie light' thread - heck, it's a vampire light - it'll suck the very last joule from your batteries. :devil:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Okay - some updates to the stash. Yesterday I picked up a sweet Glock 22...and today I received one of Gene's sweet MD2 Turnkey Packages with the hi/lo ring and an M61....I'll say no more, but let the photos speak for themselves. Well, I will say that this is a comforting addition to the collection!

(Glock22 - are you out there?)
P1030498.JPG

When it hits the fan, and you need 'stuff', this stuff will get the job done!!
IMG_6362.JPG

Can't believe I already got dust on the bezel!!
IMG_6363.JPG

IMG_6364.JPG

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

Bring it....

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

I may have another addition... Just started a low level runtime test on a Pak-lite 9v. High, low, glow in the dark version. March 2015 USA made Duracell that came out of the box attached to the light. I'm trying to navigate a new Asusa tablet to get cell pics to my e-mail to my posts, please be patient.. Seems worthy based on specs, quoted 600 hours on low on an alkaline 9v. We shall see... Ceiling bounce on low in my bedroom is plenty to navigate. 6pm EST, 9 Feb...

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I may have another addition... Just started a low level runtime test on a Pak-lite 9v. High, low, glow in the dark version. March 2015 USA made Duracell that came out of the box attached to the light. I'm trying to navigate a new Asusa tablet to get cell pics to my e-mail to my posts, please be patient.. Seems worthy based on specs, quoted 600 hours on low on an alkaline 9v. We shall see... Ceiling bounce on low in my bedroom is plenty to navigate. 6pm EST, 9 Feb...

:popcorn: :thumbsup:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know the Pak-lite is a winner by reputation, still haven't gotten around to getting one yet but I'd like a couple of them.
Another fun bit you could share with us would be to measure and weigh the light itself sans battery, I guesstimated maybe 7-8 (edit: ok that's the weight of a Photon II, so maybe 14g or so)
-and about the size of four sugar cubes... if it's anywhere close to that small it would make plenty of sense to carry one even without bothering to carry the 9 volt, just pick them up as you need them.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic

I'll try to get ahold of a scale before the runtime on low is over. No suprise, but 96 hours and counting with no drop in output. :)

jamie.91

Enlightened
Awesome thread, I hope it ends up huge:D

Hopefully I will learn a lot in here as I'm trying to get some similar kit together myself for when SHTF