Had the Flu yet?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which reminds me, I got the flu shot and I'm well past the incubation period for the flu and yet I didn't get it. Therefore, ipso facto, quid pro quo, e pluribus unam, quad eratz delenstrandom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You don't get the flu from the flu shot. But you do loose your ability to spell latin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If I get the flu after this point you can't blame it on the shot, but I CAN blame the shot for not protecting me from the flu...

I'm even finally over the last cold my daughter brought me home from school!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've heard that the current round of inoculations doesn't protect against the current round of the virus. But I've also heard some speculation that the inoculation "might" reduce the severity of the flu if one catches the current strain. Even though I've gotten my shot, I'm not taking a lot of chances, and last night that meant not visiting a close relative on Christmas Eve because she's still recovering from the flu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
PhotonWrangler, if you can wade through the morass of posts above we did discuss that somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They picked 3 or 4 strains they thought were going to hit and missed the one that turned out to be most popular. They have to do that 8 months before it even gets to America, so they sometimes get it wrong or a new strain shows up in the meantime. But it is closely related to a strain that is in the shot. So hopefully that means a certain degree of protection, but I don't think they know for sure... But it still protects from the other strains which are out there, there isn't just the one kind.

raggie, WOW I hadn't heard about that! I always have to wonder why people do such drastically stupid things and think they are going to get away with it!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
PhotonWrangler, if you can wade through the morass of posts above we did discuss that somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif They picked 3 or 4 strains they thought were going to hit and missed the one that turned out to be most popular. They have to do that 8 months before it even gets to America, so they sometimes get it wrong or a new strain shows up in the meantime. But it is closely related to a strain that is in the shot. So hopefully that means a certain degree of protection, but I don't think they know for sure... But it still protects from the other strains which are out there, there isn't just the one kind.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, James. Yeah, I've found the information. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time by rehashing it.

I get a flu shot every year, and I haven't had the flu in over 10 years... maybe longer. So they do seem to help.

Wishing everyone a holiday season free of influenza! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
I got it the day before Thanksgiving. It's day 14 and I still can't shake the cough but Ok other than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-4 more days and it will be a month I have had the cough. It's not as frequent as it was but it's still there.

Next year it's the flu shot for me.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
get better soon dave! as ya know drink plenty of liquids juices are best i think. every one around me had it im lucky so far.