Hamburgers & Hot Dogs: Best Places To Go / How Do You Make Them At Home?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Poppy, your post reminded me of another delicious sandwich.

Not exactly a "hamburger" but a type of "sloppy joe" called the Popper Jo, from a little stand in downtown Lincoln Nebraska called The Original Korn Popper.

Tiny little sliders, with ground beef, spices, sauce, and a generous dollop of yellow mustard, served piping hot, topped with chilled dill pickle slices, and wrapped in little aluminum foil packets.

Closed in 2016, after 85 years in business :mecry:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hamburgers & Hot Dogs: Best Places To Go / How Do You Make Them At Home?

Perhaps my most important cooking tool is a digital thermometer. Burgers to 160 F., chicken to 165 F.

No beef tartare for you huh. There's a German spot in queens that does it so well....onion, capers, bacon, and raw ground beef smeared on toast, delicious.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Hamburgers & Hot Dogs: Best Places To Go / How Do You Make Them At Home?

The "Steak Burger" ground beef at Vons' butcher counter is the secret weapon, I'm pretty sure they grind a touch of bacon or pork in there, it's a leap beyond what's available at restaurants/fast food places.

You're choosing In-N-Out over Five Guys?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

My favorite place in LA is the Apple Pan. They have two different burgers, two different sandwiches, fries and apple pie, and other pies. That's it! A very simple menu like In N Out has.

They have the Steak Burger, and it has a toasted bun, fried burger, Mayo., lettuce, and a slice of Tillamook sharp cheddar cheese and red and green relish Also, the Hickory Burger, same as the Steak Burger but with hickory sauce in place of the relish. I like the Hickory Burger the best.

The Apple Pan has been open since 1947, and every member of my family, all my friends, wife and daughter have eaten there. I have been going since the 1960's. I would ride my bike from Beverly Hills thru Century City, past Twentieth Century Fox Studios on Pico, to Pico And Glendon (One block East of Westwood Bl.).

The AP is a very small place with a U shaped counter around the grill, and you wait to be seated by standing behind people who are almost finished. The employees have worked there for decades. The cash register, like everything has been there since 1947, and they only take cash. It is like going back in time when you go through the door.

For hot dogs, Pinks at LaBrea and Melrose in H'wood has been open since 1939, and has a ton of different hot dog combinations. It is a small stand, and there is always a line in front. Every year after the Academy Awards, and the Emmy's myself and a couple of other photographers in the Hollywood Press Corps. Stop there before moving on to the after parties. That has been our tradition for many years now.

Next time you are in LA, try these historic and fun places.

All the best,

RL

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

The "Steak Burger" ground beef at Vons' butcher counter is the secret weapon, I'm pretty sure they grind a touch of bacon or pork in there, it's a leap beyond what's available at restaurants/fast food places.

You're choosing In-N-Out over Five Guys?
Star,

Yes, in N Out over Five Guys, and I'll tell you why. In N Out is as clean as an OR, the Five Guy's in La Quinta, CA is filthy! Last time I went there there was an unbelievable mess on the floor in the entire dining area, and the kitchen looked worse, rubber gloves, fries, patties all over the floor. Now, it could be the the store, and it's management, however, once you see that, you can't go back.

Also, the employees seemed kind of rough, not like the clean cut, polite kids at In N Out. It may be this one location but once you see that kind of scene it is hard to return. Otherwise, yes, they are good.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Pinks at LaBrea and Melrose in H'wood

the Five Guy's in La Quinta

But there's more than one Pink's or Five Guys; Pink's has a food stand that's at every air show I've been to in the IE, so that always means hot dogs for lunch those days.. And Five Guys is as common as In-n-Out now, seems like there's one in every neighborhood..

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Star,

I am certain there is only the Pinks at LaBrea and Melrose. They may be copies or license the brand for events but there is only one location as far as I know, and they are well known in LA. If you go there you will see what I mean.

As for Five Guy's the one I go to locally is in a strip mall, and was very unsatisfactory to me. In N Out is one of the best run companies and they own the building and land they operate on. They have extremely high standards.

I like Five Guy's but I will not return to the one around here at least for a while.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

True story bro:
xSUUUFI.jpg

Poppy

Flashaholic

Two weeks back ......

uLiat4v.jpg

I'm also a big fan of the Grill Mates Montreal Steak, Poppy. :thumbsup: It's great stuff!
Now THAT'S a burger! Beautiful :thumbsup:

No beef tartare for you huh. There's a German spot in queens that does it so well....onion, capers, bacon, and raw ground beef smeared on toast, delicious.
tartare for me? No way! I don't do sushi either. I once saw a picture of parasites in fish, that did it for me.

LOL... bacon makes everything taste better.

My son told me of a place that has standing room only, out on the side-walk, people waiting to get inside. In the morning they make a lot of bacon and eggs, and they save the bacon fat for their gravies, and cooking/frying.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Come to Tucson for Sonoran Hot Dogs. They are sold from food carts all around town.

View attachment 12085

Attachments

• 330px-Sonoran_dog_GC_0052.jpg
    330px-Sonoran_dog_GC_0052.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Troutpool, CG, the hot dogs and hamburger look amazing.

With all my corporate projects cancelled, I am going to try making all the things we like to eat, and some new things.

Also, I will go and get some take out from our favorite restaurants to help them out.

CG,

That looks ok s very good. Are you cooking on coals, gas or wood?

Thanks Red, it's a gas grill. Here's our oldest saying goodbye to the old one and checking out the new. circa 2005

c3F5RG2.jpg

He really wanted to keep the old one. I explained that we didn't need two and that we were going to give the old one to somebody that needed it since it was in good-working condition. It surprised me how he was more sad about the old one leaving than having a new one. It took him the better part of 15 years before he finally cooked on it.

Grilling is always a stressful endeavor for me. His first solo BBQ was burgers for four and they were cooked to perfection. Came in and said to me. "It wasn't stressful at all."

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
My absolute favorite burgers, bar none, are from Fatburger - if you are hungry try the double king burger. For me there is no equal.

Hot Dogs - personally I love Nathan's and get great results at home on my gas grill. Medium heat and about 2 - 3 minutes per each 90 degree rotation. Yummy!

Cheers,
Tim