Has anyone ever used strobe mode?

buds224

Enlightened
I literally had 5 car pileup happen in front of me one morning. Luckily, I didn't get rear-ended. I saw a baby-car-seat in the back of the truck that had flipped over. I was compelled to help, so I put my LD20 in SOS mode and shot it out my back window to warn other drivers of the situation. Baby was fine, couldn't be more than 4 months old at the time.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Just like any tool, strobe is the right tool in some situations. Its primary TACTICAL purpose is to disorient. This works a lot of times if used correctly, and just incites a charge to "Turn it off" in others.

If disorientation is not the tool needed, then the strobe is not the right tool at that time.

Its secondary purpose is to attract attention - and, if a rapidly flashing light will attract the attention you want, then strobe is the right tool, and so forth.

The RATE of the flashing effects seem to imply a certain urgency, so a fast strobe is seen as most urgent, and a slow flash is considered more beacon-like, and is even called a beacon on some lights that flash slowly.

I've never used SOS...and if stranded somewhere where there may be other lights, and needed to attract help...I could see it as an option.

I think if I was in a dark area, such as the woods or ocean, etc...and people might be searching for me...ANY light would attract attention. If the light was flashing in a beacon pattern, at least the light would last longer/have an extended run time...and SOS would count in that regard.

As for whether its a hidden mode, or readily available, that really comes down to your use of the light.

LEO/Tactical people want the lights to always come on in HIGH, and, to have strobe as a one touch option.....they do NOT want to scroll through modes to brighten the light, or find strobe.

Pretty much Everyone ELSE want the lights to come on at the LOWEST setting they think they'll need...and then to be able to be brightened if needed. This is one reason why "Tactical Lights" are accidentally purchased by non-tactical people, who just thought a "Tactical Light" would be a better light...and then are annoyed by it having strobe which they normally HATE, coming on too bright to read the map, etc.

A "tactical" UI is optimized (If its actually meant to be used "tactically")...for one set of users and what those users demand/want.

A "tactful" UI is optimized for other people's needs and wants.

:D

wheel

Newly Enlightened
I have enjoyed reading the responses here which has started me searching for a really bright strobe model. Maybe someone can recommend something for me. I would prefer a AA version, but cr123 would be acceptable. I would like for it to have a remembered strobe mode or a separate switch that would go right into the strobe function. I am thinking the brighter the better, but that might not be the case. Hope more people chime in on this. thanks

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have enjoyed reading the responses here which has started me searching for a really bright strobe model. Maybe someone can recommend something for me. I would prefer a AA version, but cr123 would be acceptable. I would like for it to have a remembered strobe mode or a separate switch that would go right into the strobe function. I am thinking the brighter the better, but that might not be the case. Hope more people chime in on this. thanks

Look at the Klarus XT line. They have a great set of lights with a very simple single handed switch interface. They always come on in high with no memory. Strobe is useable without going through modes at any time.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

If you want "brighter is better" and longer run time, and one touch strobe...I second the recommendation on the Klarus...actually, the XT11 for one 18650 use. It does EXACTLY what you asked for.

Single AA and 123 lights are just not as powerful as they can't store as much go go juice, and can't run at high amp loads like the 18650 can.

k9hutch

Newly Enlightened
XT11 is very good for LEO use...my XT10 is a good backup to it...great for accident scenes...

Max_Power

Enlightened
When I was a new flashaholic, I thought I wanted strobe mode. Now I know better. If you really must strobe, you can strobe the switch manually (I prefer a forward clicky or momentary switch for this, but it can be accomplished with a reverse clicky too.) An even easier way to strobe is to simply use your wrist to swing the light rapidly back and forth across the eyes of the subject. This is really disorienting if you have a tight beam, it doesn't hit both eyes at exactly the same time.

But unlike cops, most of the time I am just trying to see or be seen, and do not wish to disorient people (especially myself.) I just want a high beam and a low beam that are not selected by the power button, high reliability, and good color profile. (How hard can it be?)

My favorite outdoor usage of a flashaholic EDC light is to point it at the ground and swing my arms naturally while walking. The moving pool of light on the ground catches the attention of most drivers, and they can easily guage the distance to me. About 1 percent are so busy on the phone that they need a good shot in the face to wake them up.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Has Anyone Ever Used Strobe Mode?

I wonder how effective that mode is with a traffic cone for directing traffic.

That's why I say a Maglite might not be the brightest out there today, but it's bright enough, and with wands of varying colors and glass breakers - you just can't beat the available accessories.

AIRASSAULT18B

Newly Enlightened
Re: Has Anyone Ever Used Strobe Mode?

IR strobe works best because you ge the same results day or night. Plus you draw no attention to yourself.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
That has always bugged me? Is it possible for people to get epileptic seizures with it? If yes, who is most at risk?

Is it possible...yes, it is theoretically possible. Are there any documented cases of it happening...ever...No.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
FINALLY - a reasonable, mature discussion about 'strobe'!!! Some good answers from LEO's, who seem to confirm that a strobe definitely does have some uses in 'tactical' situations. Also, good info about ability of strobe function to dissuade aggressive dogs. Strobe is also excellent for signalling and attention-getting.

I gifted some Quark 123*2 R5 'Tactical' lights to a couple of hunter friends about a year ago, and they were out in wilderness at night and got separated. One called the other one on walkie-talkie and said turn on your flashlight. No visual contact. Then he repeated request, saying "use the strobe function". BAM! He said it was like a scene from a science fiction movie when the side of the mountain lit up, LOL. So, the strobe was super-effective at signalling.

-

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used strobe to cross a busy street at night.Pointing toward the ground. Its amazing watching cars slow down when the see a stobe.
I also have the kids riding thier bikes on the sidewalk at night use strobe so cars can see them.All the cars slow way down when they see a stobe light.Im sure they think its police something,but as long as they slow down!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I gifted some Quark 123*2 R5 'Tactical' lights to a couple of hunter friends about a year ago, and they were out in wilderness at night and got separated. One called the other one on walkie-talkie and said turn on your flashlight. No visual contact. Then he repeated request, saying "use the strobe function". BAM! He said it was like a scene from a science fiction movie when the side of the mountain lit up, LOL. So, the strobe was super-effective at signalling.
:thumbsup:

Megaray USA

Newly Enlightened
8hz is one of the preferred frequencies because it has the greatest impact on brain activity during fight or flight situations. The idea behind the 8hz strobe is that it flashes at a frequency that the brain cannot adapt to quickly enough. The result is that since the strobe exceeds the peaks and troughs of the brain's activity, the suspect/target experiences reduced spatial awareness which can result in a sensation of vertigo and nausea. If the subject/target is, say, running on an uneven surface they will be at a distinct disadvantage due to the effects of the strobe.

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
Only use I have had for strobe is for signaling our air unit as it comes over to give them my position. I have tried numerous lights with varying functions, and I now carry a single mode light. My thumb works just fine as the strobe mode and the light comes on on high every time. Suspects/assailants will normally react to a burst of bright light in general, especially if their eyes are already adjusted to low light conditions. Do not count on the light (or strobe) to stop anyone (HA!), but most of the time it will cause them to hesitate for a second while you carry out your plan of attack/escape. Here's one of my quick stories:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-saved-a-life-last-night&highlight=capt.+Nemo

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did one time in a big Karaoke party about 30+ ppl. We were drunk and people were dancing.
:laughing:

Yeah, "disco" mode is fun on occasion.

There's a lot deer around where I live and I come across them frequently walking the dog. I try to scare the garden-eating/tick-infested forest rats away with the strobe, but it doesn't phase them.

I like the slow frequency strobe on my Zebralight H51w, it's much more of a subtle warning strobe as opposed to the police/panic fast strobes. I'd use for bicycling at night, or changing a flat tire at the roadside. I wouldn't use the fast strobes for either - I've disabled mine on my Quark.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
I work with the strobe mode on a daily base. I teach LEO's the Tactical advantage off the use of Strobe mode for 5 years now.
Over the Years we gathered lots of info where the Strobe mode was very help full in situations Spray could not be used.
So with less harm to both sides we could master lots of situations we otherwise had to use more force.
It also appears to be useful against aggressive dogs.
The strobe mode is primary, the rest of the modes can be accesed but it comes always back in strobe. (for tactical reasons)

my 2 cents

Capt. Nemo

Newly Enlightened
I work with the strobe mode on a daily base. I teach LEO's the Tactical advantage off the use of Strobe mode for 5 years now.
Over the Years we gathered lots of info where the Strobe mode was very help full in situations Spray could not be used.
So with less harm to both sides we could master lots of situations we otherwise had to use more force.
It also appears to be useful against aggressive dogs.
The strobe mode is primary, the rest of the modes can be accesed but it comes always back in strobe. (for tactical reasons)

my 2 cents

Part of our training consisted of being immediately taken from direct sunlight into a blacked out building with a high output strobe light. It was disorienting for a few seconds, but it seems our team was able to adapt quickly and function without much problem. Bad guys can and do the same thing.

I've been in high intensity situations and lethal use of force situations that require quick thinking. Never has strobe been a part of that. I've been on numerous calls with our "swat" team, never has strobe been used or even mentioned. It seems to be more of a gimic than anything else. I don't see it as practically tactical, I do see it serving more of a purpose in search and rescue.