Has anyone ever used strobe mode?

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I've been in high intensity situations and lethal use of force situations that require quick thinking. Never has strobe been a part of that. I've been on numerous calls with our "swat" team, never has strobe been used or even mentioned. It seems to be more of a gimic than anything else. I don't see it as practically tactical, I do see it serving more of a purpose in search and rescue.

Absolutely 100% agreed.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the strobe to signal other hunters before sun-up, and when walking down unlit roads at night, or anytime stopped on the side of a highway at night. Very useful in those situations. But I want it out of the way in any UI.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tested strobes on myself and my cousin:
Part 1
Part 2

The best use I found for it was for signaling, though. I've done this a few times:

First time I was on top of a, X-ray bunker, 14 feet off the gound and needed the operator to fire up the X-ray tube while I took measurements on the generator. The guys where talking and not paying attention to me, so I used the strobe to get their attention. The funny thing is that even though I could see the floor lighting up under their feet, it was a guy 15 feet away from them that saw it and then told them to look up.

The second time was funnier. I needed to get something from the maintenance department at a client's site, but the door was locked and the only guy in there was busy, facing away from me and probably had his ear plugs in so deep he couldn't hear me knock on the window. Then it hit me. I strobed the wall in front of him. He was so deep in his concentration that he just looked up at the wall for a few seconds, seemingly wondering what was wrong with the wall, before he realized the light was coming from behind.

My cousin is a permanent day dreamer and can't recognise anyone 10 feet away so, when we meet somewhere in town, I just use my strobe when I see him approaching. Works wonders on him but, then again, he's a flashaholic too and responds back with a strobe so I know I can turn it off.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Reading the above posts confirms what pros also say, which that people w/o specific training think strobe is a waste, which for them, it is, because they are not trained in its use...and people who are trained in its use can add it to their tool box.

NO one technique is ALWAYS the right tool of course. A person who only encounters Phillips Head screws feels that Torx Head Screwdrivers are a gimmick, as they see no use for them. The guy who only works with Torx thinks slot AND Phillips are stupid, and the guys who use slot, phillips and torx depending on the situation might carry all 3, and feel that each is the right tool for the job....when applicable.

:D

guardpost3

Enlightened
I use strobe quite often, I have found it particularly effective for signaling incoming emergency units. I have even spoken with several of the responders about it, just to make sure it was even worth doing. All said it was.

I have never thought strobe would be all that great as a so called "tactical" tool, until I used it. Like others have said, it depends largely on the situation. I had a very drunk "wanted-to-be-violent-but-to-drunk-to-be" trespasser one night that the strobe was very effective on. Only time I've used it that way.

Racer

Enlightened
Some great responses in this thread!

I thought strobe was mostly useless for me, but after reading this thread I'm going to swap out the lights in the vehicle emergency kits and replace them with models that have a strobe mode. What's funny is that it's actually hard to get the cheap DX type of lights without strobe. So the cheap CR123A 1-modes in my vehicles will probably be replaced by cheap 5-modes.

So an E01 on the wife's keychain and a 5 mode 123 light in the vehicle (with several spare cells) and she's set I think.

Thanks again LEOs and first responders for the great stories and info!

wheel

Newly Enlightened

Same here, I have really enjoyed reading all the responses. For some reason I do not have a light with a strobe function. Would like several for the vehicles that would go to strobe without having to cycle thru other modes to get to strobe. Any other recommendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Again!!!

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I thought strobe was mostly useless for me, but after reading this thread I'm going to swap out the lights in the vehicle emergency kits and replace them with models that have a strobe mode. What's funny is that it's actually hard to get the cheap DX type of lights without strobe. So the cheap CR123A 1-modes in my vehicles will probably be replaced by cheap 5-modes.

So an E01 on the wife's keychain and a 5 mode 123 light in the vehicle (with several spare cells) and she's set I think.

Just remember that its not a taser, etc...it just disorients people, and, its not hypnotizing them, etc...it just makes their brain go "Huh?" trying to decipher the incoming stimuli...and then, depending upon how drunk they are, and their personality, etc...they will eventually consider their options, etc.

It buys time, it doesn't knock them down and hand cuff them.

Its more analogous to glinting light off your knife in a fight to distract an opponent...as they need time to deal with the light, and wonder what they can't see because the light is preventing them from seeing, etc.

IE: Giving an untrained person a strobe light may or may not help them....they have to know what to DO other than aiming it at the perp, etc.

Buying time, and then not USING that time, doesn't help as much.

:D

In a tactical situation, if the perp loses confidence in his situational context/feels more overwhelmed, he's more likely to surrender.

...if he see's it as "WTF is that light, I can't see!? Who's out there?!" you bought time to then get them under control...if you just stand there...after a while, he's like "Um, ok, so there's this flashing light...but, there's window over there, and a pipe on the ground, maybe I could grab the pipe and whack the joker with the light and run for it?" - Or - "Hey, its just some housewife with a blinky flashlight!"

So, anyway - Just making sure that you get that creating a distraction is not a permanent solution, you need to take advantage of that window of opportunity.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Reading the above posts confirms what pros also say, which that people w/o specific training think strobe is a waste, which for them, it is, because they are not trained in its use...and people who are trained in its use can add it to their tool box.

LMAO - I am 25 years as LEO and force-on-force instructor. STILL USELESS.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LMAO - I am 25 years as LEO and force-on-force instructor. STILL USELESS.

To you, sure.

What about the 1,000's of OTHERS who find it useful?

Again...its how its used, I don't know if you received training on it, or if the dogma you were raised with was simply against it, so you were brought up to be against it, etc.

Its like any other tool...it has a particular application. It works fine in that application, and IS worthless otherwise.

As first hand accounts even in this thread attest - It can and did work for some users...so, it can't be completely worthless, as it worked.

So, if it worked, then it has value. It value, historically, is that it tends to temporarily disorient/distract its target...if the target is vulnerable to that....especially drunks etc.

Do you NEED it? - No more than you needed any particular tool on your belt. Sometimes you don't NEED to distract your subject.

For example:

In your experience, have you ever NEEDED or WANTED to distract your target?

shane45_1911

Enlightened
So, if it worked, then it has value. It value, historically, is that it tends to temporarily disorient/distract its target...if the target is vulnerable to that....especially drunks etc.

IMO a light WITHOUT a strobe still can distract if that is my intention. I have never - in 25 years - wished I had a strobe to use in a "tactical" situation. NEVER. YMMV, IMHO, blah, blah...

Search and rescue and signaling is different - and I can see where a strobe may have its place.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
In your experience, have you ever NEEDED or WANTED to distract your target?
Please note that an open-ended question such as this invites the sort of self-defense silliness that often gets these threads closed. If any subsequent posts in this thread get deleted, that is the reason.

Best regards,

dingo1799

Newly Enlightened
i use strobe mode all the time... when you work in a garage thats 300,000+ square feet, and anywhere from 1-20 big stinking diesels running at once, and ventilation fans on 24/7 that negate screaming at someone, it takes 3 min to walk to the office from one end of the building, its a good attention getter :D

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
IMO a light WITHOUT a strobe still can distract if that is my intention. I have never - in 25 years - wished I had a strobe to use in a "tactical" situation. NEVER. YMMV, IMHO, blah, blah...

Search and rescue and signaling is different - and I can see where a strobe may have its place.

If ALL you had is a small flashlight, then you'd want strobe. I'm sure folks here aren't saying that should be your primary or even secondary action. No one with any modicum of close quarters training will think -- ok let me take out my XML and strobe this guy out first.

Mag-man

Newly Enlightened
Yup, strobe mode is great for getting my dogs' attention and pissing off the wife and friends :). Great at clubs and parties too.

Now, in all seriousness, if I were a boatsman, I would want strobe mode (with SOS) because it would attract attention in the event I had an emergency and also, seems to me the battery should last close to 2X in emergencies while strobbing - since it's off half the time.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
Same here, I have really enjoyed reading all the responses. For some reason I do not have a light with a strobe function. Would like several for the vehicles that would go to strobe without having to cycle thru other modes to get to strobe. Any other recommendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks Again!!!

Klarus - Any of their XT series lights

Jetbeam PC25

Olight Warrior M20SX

Sunwayman V20C

(I'm sure there are more, those are the ones I know of off the top of my head.)

Racer

Enlightened
I like the way my Sunwayman M20C does the strobe. It's right at the end of the magnetic ring, so you can cycle through whatever modes you want without hitting the strobe if you don't want to. But a hard twist and you're immediately on the strobe mode.

For smaller lights, I like the way my Neutron 1C does it. If you leave the bezel tightened then it's just one click to cycle between turbo and strobe. Or if you have the bezel loosened for the other mode group, it's a quick tighten and a click, which is about as convenient to get to as someone like me will ever need.

buds224

Enlightened
Is it possible...yes, it is theoretically possible. Are there any documented cases of it happening...ever...No.

It is possible. I knew someone that was diagnosed with epilepsy, and during a session of video game playing, the screen started to strobe a pattern and he went into a violent seizure. I believe each person with epilepsy is susceptible to strobes to a certain degree, not all alike. It's going to depend of level of sensitivity, frequency of strobe and duration.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
I like the strobe function to signal and get attention. In the hospital people get excited that the strobe can cause seizures. The research that I have done showed it may be possible for a select minority of a specific category of seizure sufferers to have a seizure if they watch a strobe of greater than 15Htz. I have mine set at 10htz and I have had great success at signaling co-workers with their backs to me (Yelling in an ER is bad form especially if psychiatric patients are being held in the ER) and I have had great success signaling individuals in huge auditoreums and even out in the Sierras accross a big distance at mid-day. I have also used it to de-escalate a psychiatric patient that was about to lose control. The light was bright enough that it commanded all of his attention and caught him off guard but in that instance I used the light at full beam, no strobe. We were able to avoid using restraints, chemical or physical. I see it as a communication tool.