Has anyone flown with tac-style flashlights since the Detroit incident??

DigMe

Enlightened
Ok, guys. I just went through at Milwaukee airport with no problem at all. Had the SR3 and TK30 in backpack. I even forgot to unclip my Preon from my change pocket and it didn't set off the metal detector. Oops!

brad

StinkyButler

Newly Enlightened
I flew out of Milwaukee recently with my 4Sevens Neutral Quark 123 as a carry on and received no trouble from anyone. It was in my pocket and I put it in a tray for the X-ray machine with my keys and wallet and no one said anything about it, they didn't even examine it. Flew out of New Orleans on the 29th with it and no one even blinked, although I did get patted down because I was wearing a sweatshirt. First time that's ever happened.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eventually, they will strip us all naked and put us in locked dog crates for the duration of the flight.

No, that won't happen...

We'll be too hard to watch...

Instead, we will be strip-searched, forced to wear a paper suit and no undergarments, and be hand cuffed and sedated in our seats.
To answer your question, yes, the seats will be made of rubber.:eek:oo:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing...how security continues to be stateside. Lots of discussion on many forums about this.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article.aspx?id=516682

Even Mogadishu Does It Better Than DHS

Posted 12/30/2009 06:57 PM ET

Terrorism: For all the billions the U.S. spends on intelligence and homeland security, it's Somalia that has racked up a better record of stopping jet terrorists with explosive-filled underwear. Anyone out there appalled?

Last Nov. 11, sharp-eyed African Union troops, who serve as airport security in the failed state of Somalia, pinpointed a terrorist with a syringe detonator, lethal powder and explosives in his pants trying to board a Dubai-bound jetliner in Mogadishu.

They yanked him out of line and stopped him from getting on.

It's eerily similar in detail to the Christmas Day terror attack on a Northwest Airlines jetliner headed from Amsterdam to Detroit.

The chemicals and detonator were the same. The syringe and underwear were similar. It was consistent with the warning the al-Qaida-associated Nigerian arrested in Detroit, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, gave upon his arrest — that many more airline attacks like his were on the way. And by one news account, it happened on 11/11, a date favored by al-Qaida for strikes.

But the difference is in how it ended — in the U.S., with an unscripted passenger leaping onto the terrorist in the act of detonating himself amid burning chemicals, and stopping him.

In Somalia, the rudimentary security apparatus in the nation that ranks rock-bottom on every major development indicator stopped him before he even got on. Incredibly, it means that in this case passengers would have been safer flying out of Mogadishu than depending on elaborate U.S. security measures coming into Detroit.

All the $50.5 billion spent on Homeland Security and the even higher black budgets of the intelligence agencies didn't help. What in the heck is this money for?

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano's first statement was that the system worked. What she meant by that was frisking every blue-haired old lady or any other random person authorities can get their hands on. They know these people are not terrorists, but they do it to so that Muslim passengers and the terrorists among them don't feel profiled. All the political correctness boxes got checked off.

For African Union soldiers doing security in a hellhole like Mogadishu, it meant stopping a terror attack at all costs.

Instead of going after the elderly, they zeroed in on a curiously acting young man with a terrorist profile, and gave him the extra pat-down in all the right places. That was all it took to bag a terrorist.

e-ville

Newly Enlightened
this reminds me of a funny story, i flew to florida shortly after 9/11 and got the random search, they made me take my shoes off, patted me down, emptied my bags and searched everything. when i finally got to my gate i sat down and reached in the pocket of my bag for something and ended up pulling out one of those flat pointy can/bottle openers shaped like a knife.

my dad had used the bag before me and must have left it in there. i threw it right in the trash but i thought it was pretty sad considering this bag had just been molested/xray/metal detectored by security

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I arrived back from vacation. My backpack had the following:

SF M6 w/ Seraph P7
E1E
X2C (Viking Tactics E2DL w/ KX2C head)
G2
X200
P111D
TLR-1
Jetbeam III/M
Icon Rogue1
Icon Rogue2

no issues from TSA. However they were all stowed in a TAD Gear multicam FAST pack.

On interesting thing to note: when I returned from Hong Kong to Los Angeles there was no flight information. I flew Cathay Pacific. They have screens and video-on-demand in every seat of the plane. Normally you can access flight information and see the current status of the plane. Altitude and approximate location via a 3D globe with a plane hovering over it. I suspect that this feature was deactivated so that any potential terrorists would sort of be blind as to where the plane was in regards to its position over the earth.

Last edited:

rkJr

Enlightened
Flew out of San Diego this morning with both my Ra Clicky and Ra Clicky Ti in my carry on without and problem. In Phoenix last month i had my carry on hand searched because of the shape of the Ra's..... TSA agent couldn't believe how bright that "little flashlight" was but otherwise no issues....

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eventually, they will strip us all naked and put us in locked dog crates for the duration of the flight.

Not going to happen. However, I have heard that they're looking into making every passenger boarding the plane wear shock bracelets that would allow the flight attendants or pilot to shock any unruly passenger with the push of a button. Make sure you stay in the flight attendants' good graces and pray that none of them are the terrorists.

It's too bad that these terrorists hate capitalism. I think if they started using the system to make their lives better instead of blaming their problems on it and trying to destroy it, they would be richer, happier, and less bitter (and we might have fewer enemies). Think about it. Anyone that can convince a wealthy man that he will go to heaven and have 70+ virgins to sleep with if he blows off his crotch is probably a marketing genius. They could have a real future in advertising or marketing if they weren't trying to kill themselves and taking us with them.

With that said, there better not be a flashlight bomber in the future. I may have to take off all my clothes at the airport to get on a plane now, but take away my flashlights and I'll really feel naked. If there's a flashlight bomber in the future, I suggest giving him the electric chair, with a lightbulb in his mouth.

DM51

Flashaholic
Let's reserve comments on terrorists and their motivations for the correct forum, which is the Underground.

This thread is about new security arrangements and procedures that have been (or are soon to be) enacted as a result of the Detroit incident, and how this affects passengers who travel with lights. The experiences of members who have flown since then will be useful to others, so please let's keep strictly to that aspect.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Airport security & traveling w/flashlights & batteries?

Thanks to the Christmas underwear bomber, flying into the US is a bit more difficult now.

I heard that everyone can only bring one carry-on and should check-in the rest of their stuff and/or can only bring with them on their carry-on essential items, such as medicine, crutches, baby supplies ... etc.

http://www.frommers.com/articles/6532.html

But it says here to bring in carry-on your batteries:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

If you brought batteries with you, should you check these in now or still carry-on?

Anyone flew into the US recently? What was your experience with flashlights and batteries?

Last edited:

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might get away with an AAA light on your keychain but a stand alone flashlight is NOT on the allowed list.

But the list does not include "keys". Does that mean you cannot bring your keychain with you?

Does something "attached" to you allowed? By attached I mean cell phone in a cell holder/cell holster attached to your belt. How about a light in a holster attached to your belt?

How about a pen in your shirt pocket? Or a AAA penlight (the Preon or the LD05) in your shirt pocket?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, even before the detroit incident, i had to fly to Tel Aviv. Now you know how security conscious israel is, i had a passport case on a neck lanyard with my Jet I Pro v2.0 inside, a keychain with my LD01 on it and a P60 host with DX MC-E drop in in my jeans pocket.

Clearing security was no issue, just dumped everything into the basket, took off the shoes, belt, rings, watch, etc and walked on through.

Not sure what it might be like now though, have some friends flying up there soon so i'll find out when they get back in a week or so.

Latest posts