Have you ever caused "Flashlight-Envy"?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
And my Kenji 5 amp Quad R5 XPG P60 dropin makes the XT11 look kinda "cute" in comparison as well. And it's a slightly smaller form factor - to boot! ;)

In much the same way my 50w HID would overpower your Kenji quad :p

I need throw more than flood in my work lights, runtime over showtime :thumbsup:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
In much the same way my 50w HID would overpower your Kenji quad :p

I need throw more than flood in my work lights, runtime over showtime :thumbsup:

HID is an entirely different class!

No really, the XT11 is nice. But for serious output in true candlepowerforums resolve, we're going to have to settle for multiple core cpu's, errr, I mean multiple emitter configs and pushing batteries near to their breaking points. It's the only way, for now. I love this hobby :D

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a sharp dividing line between the flashaholic and the non-flashaholic. The flashaholic (upon seeing your light) goes, "Wow, I need one of those!" The non-flashaholic wants to know what it costs. "You paid how much for that thing?" They don't get it.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
No really, the XT11 is nice. But for serious output in true candlepowerforums resolve, we're going to have to settle for multiple core cpu's, errr, I mean multiple emitter configs and pushing batteries near to their breaking points. It's the only way, for now. I love this hobby :D

From the reviews I've seen for those quads I'll admit they do output considerable amounts of light but it's pretty much just a flood light, a light with some degree of throw is a necessary requirement as is some reasonable amount of runtime, applicable UI and 18650/multi-cell support... the Kenji Quad's runtime @ 5A off a 2500mAh cell that'd be around 30 minutes wouldn't it? not likely to last a 12 hr shift is it? thus not practical as a work light (at least for me antway) ;)

Runtime in preference to showtime :devil:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^ I'm using a 3,100 redilast but haven't been able to test. Too hot to handle :D

But yeah it's a wall of light pocket rocket. The XT11 admittingly probably has brighter lux (more blinding hotspot even with less lumens), but 1,700+ lumens is still intimidating.

I use it mostly for wow and AHHH!!!RAPE!!!!HELP!!ME!! Short durations. :D

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
funny. Your neighbours would purchase more flashlights to compete with yours.

T45

Enlightened
The male RN that was taking care of my mother couldn't stop playing with her Icon Rogue II, which was green, my mother's favorite color. She said he would drop by during his night shift just to shine it at the ceiling and even asked to borrow it for his night rounds. She said no, get your own!

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
In 2008 I bought a Wolfeyes 24 watt Boxer a compact HID which takes 3x18650 cells. I took this on a torchlight tour at the Brooklands museum. There is a part of the tour that takes place outside on a disused race track and wooded area's followed by a long tunnel. The brightest lights I came across was a couple of guys waving their 3D incan Maglites around with the biggest grin in the world.

After a quick tour around the garages and aircraft hanger, we went outside up test hill. Everyone turned their lights on while I pointed my 24w Boxer HID in the air while it powered up. The two chaps was feeling extremely smug shinning their 3D Mags around. I can only assume they had installed the Xenon bulb over the standard white star Krypton bulb for more output and throw. Then I started to shine my light and everyone stopped and looked at the beam. It certainly created a wow factor back in 2008. I kept hearing whispers, what is that uber light.

John D in CT

Newly Enlightened
With my MagLites, no. I do hope to change all that though. I think my first buy will be a Fenix.

buds224

Enlightened
My wife told me a story of something that happened recently. Her ship was in port and had a power outage. She was in the mess decks and noticed everyone using cheap incandescent lights. She described them as yellow lights lighting up their food as they ate. She busted out the Fenix LD20 I gave her and, in a tail-stand, lit up the entire mess deck to the point where everyone can navigate around without a flashlight. She knew she had everyones attention when they shut off their lights and went about their business. I told her that if no one commented on her light, it was due to flashlight envy. LOL.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was out camping with some friends this weekend and brought some lights. Since it was woody without much wide open area I chose floodier lights. I used a Preon P0 on a lanyard attached to my shorts to keep on me all the time and for use inside the tent and I also had a Shiningbeam Blaze on low for my walking around doing stuff light. Once I showed people the high mode (about 500 OTF) in this very dark area they thought it was the most amazing light they'd ever seen. Less than half the size of all the mags and several times the output. Haha one guy simply said "it lights up.....everything".

buds224

Enlightened
I was out camping with some friends this weekend and brought some lights. Since it was woody without much wide open area I chose floodier lights. I used a Preon P0 on a lanyard attached to my shorts to keep on me all the time and for use inside the tent and I also had a Shiningbeam Blaze on low for my walking around doing stuff light. Once I showed people the high mode (about 500 OTF) in this very dark area they thought it was the most amazing light they'd ever seen. Less than half the size of all the mags and several times the output. Haha one guy simply said "it lights up.....everything".
:twothumbs

buds224

Enlightened
Just had our Halloween here on base last night. Needless to say, the general population only had, at best, 2-4 D Maglites. I was surprised I didn't see any surefires seeing as we live on a Naval base. And all were surprised to see my PD35. Lots of looky-loos checking out a small (compared to D cell lights) stick putting out so much light.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the maintenance personnel at work (and a few security guards!!!) pull out incandescent Mini-Mags and I'll pull out my ThruNite T10 set to medium. They can't believe that my single AA puts out more light and for longer time than their 2AA incandescents and I still have a high mode that I try not to show them. Most of them have upgraded to LED by now.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
^ I have not yet been the cuase of envey, but I do now have a D40A in NW on its way...MUWHAHAHA!!!

Hopefully I can convert some people (if they dont run off when they find out the price :-[ )

Richub

Enlightened
Recently I started using a Spanninga Supra (around 50-60 lumens) bike light for the daily bike trips home from work. It's quicker to mount on my bike than using a Fenix mount & LD25 and leaves my better flashlights ready for use in my coat pockets.

supra.jpg

Yesterday I was driving through a particularly dark road where the lighting had failed to turn on and grabbed my TK35 on high to add some lighting to avoid unseen dangers on the road. A fellow bicyclist decided to stay near me to travel safe. He had one of those cheapo headlights, and couldn't see squat on that road.
At the end of the road I was accompanied by 3 other bikers, and boy, was that young man next to me ever so envious of my TK35!
He even tried to get it off my hands ("Let me hold it, please...") to dart off with it, but I saw in his eyes what he was up to. ;) I didn't get mad at him as nothing really happened, and he went on his way.

yifu

Enlightened
You guys have way more luck then me, people walking with their 20 lumen iPhone flashlight do not even bat an eyelid when i turn on a 6000 lumen, half a million lux Firefox HID, which still happens to fit in a pocket. I give up trying to impress anyone now, and keep my things to myself. Better that way.

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
You guys have way more luck then me, people walking with their 20 lumen iPhone flashlight do not even bat an eyelid when i turn on a 6000 lumen, half a million lux Firefox HID, which still happens to fit in a pocket. I give up trying to impress anyone now, and keep my things to myself. Better that way.

You know what that means right?

You need a brighter light! :whistle:

XM18...should do the trick.

pompous_ass_captain

Newly Enlightened
Night shift training at work. My co-worker pulled out this monstrous multi LED flashlight, my tiny master-craft, 200 lumen flashlight that I bought for $25, the beam totally dwarfed his massive light. quality > quantity. I think his light had 92 LEDs? Mine had 1 cree, and you could stick it in your pocket. His light weighed like 5 lbs.

Devildude

Enlightened
I have definitely caused flashlight envy back on Labor Day weekend. My cousin was absolutely enthralled with my Deft-x when I was down there. I could not get it out of his hands for the two nights I was there. I sent down a Crelant 7G5CS with the collimator head attached and he like it well enough to go out and buy his own which was his first good flashlight. I feel so bad leading someone else down the path of flashaholicism.