Have you ever caused "Flashlight-Envy"?

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
My grandparent live in rural area in China, and he has seen me playing with the light and he was fascinated by that...
After that he has been asking my mum for some high power LED:huh:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I'm looking forward to showing off my MBI "Torpedo" when they are available - that much light (400+ lumens) from so small a package (1 x 10250) is sure to create a bit of "FlashLight -Envy"

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I do investigations, and, expert witness work where I come in to provide an unbiased third party opinion. Many times, the question will involve whether mold is present in a building or not. Many times, a consultant will claim that there is no mold present, and I will then show them where it is with a good LED light. The most satisfying of course are where the consultant will grandly proclaim that as anyone can plainly see, that their ginormous 6D cell mag light is shining on the surface in question, and, obviously - there is no mold.

I then get to take out a pocket sized LED light, with a nice smooth white beam, shine it along the surface to highlight the texture and color of the surface, and the mold POPS out at them.

Their jaws drop, and they say "What kind of light IS that?!

And I say "Its a Mold Light".

:D

davyro

Enlightened
Yes today at work,the lights weren't on at the construction site i was working on & the foreman pulled out this cheapo led light that had 6 LED's that put about 20 lumen on max power
it was also 5x bigger than my HDS Rotary 200.There was 7 men who couldn't see a thing & the foreman was bragging about how his light was going to save us.So i had my crocodile
dundee moment & said "thats not a light,this is a real light" & i illuminated everywhere we needed to see.The foreman wasn't very happy but the rest of us had a good laugh at his
childish remarks.....priceless:devil:

Illum

Flashaholic
never made that kind of impression, only one near it was matching someones laser beam bouncing on a radio tower with an aspheric mag... that dropped a couple jaws.

Stream

Enlightened
Well, I've had a few instances, but most recently I had some contractors from the insurance company out to look at some storm damage to the house. I showed the foreman and the one guy he had with him up to the attic. I asked if they needed a light, to which the foreman replied no, we've got it covered - looking almost impressed with the other guy's semi-decent silver LED CREE or Luxeon type light with a tailcap switch. It was no doubt the store kind, because it wasn't super bright. Didn't get a very good look at the light itself but it must have been either 2xAA or 2xCR123.

Anyway, I let them finish up in the attic and we head down to the basement to take a look at a crawlspace. We enter a room with no lights near an opening into the crawlspace under the other section of the house when I whip out my Fenix PD32 on max and light up the place. I ask the guy with the LED flashlight from the attic if he needs the light as he heads over to the opening into the crawlspace, he doesn't answer but silently walks over to the opening without even looking at me. He takes out his flashlight and makes sure to reach his arm way inside before he even turns it on. I was standing on the far side of the room, shining the PD32 in his direction, and it completely drowned out his little light. He made sure to switch it off before walking back to avoid the obvious comparison, again not even looking at me. Meanwhile the foreman looked very impressed and commented, "that's a great flashlight". Maybe it was just my imagination, but the flashlight envy from the other guy was almost palpable :D

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was illuminating the scene of a vehicle accident with Scorpion V2 Turbo on a summer Friday night in front of several bars, the light turned quite a few heads.

I showed the light to another cop and his partner, who didn't know about the output and made the mistake of shining it into his hands from a distance less than a meter. Needless to say, both were blinded by the reflection from his hand. After turning their heads away, they went, "Whoooa..."

Another cop freaked out about how I could land an airplane with it. "What IS this?! You can land an AIRPLANE with this thing!"

And another cop, who happens to know about CPF, carries his trusty Luxeon Z2, was telling about a friend out in Queens who got a Scorpion V2 from a CPF member that wasn't working properly. I showed him my TN11, and told him it was basically the same light with different UI, which he fired up and said, "Wow." He then went onto take a picture of side-by-side wall shot of the beams from both lights for his friend and, funny enough, the beam from TN11 literally erased Z2's.

fyrstormer

Banned
Anyway, I let them finish up in the attic and we head down to the basement to take a look at a crawlspace. We enter a room with no lights near an opening into the crawlspace under the other section of the house when I whip out my Fenix PD32 on max and light up the place. I ask the guy with the LED flashlight from the attic if he needs the light as he heads over to the opening into the crawlspace, he doesn't answer but silently walks over to the opening without even looking at me. He takes out his flashlight and makes sure to reach his arm way inside before he even turns it on. I was standing on the far side of the room, shining the PD32 in his direction, and it completely drowned out his little light. He made sure to switch it off before walking back to avoid the obvious comparison, again not even looking at me. Meanwhile the foreman looked very impressed and commented, "that's a great flashlight". Maybe it was just my imagination, but the flashlight envy from the other guy was almost palpable :D
Maybe it's just me, but I actually feel kinda bad about showing people up like this. It's one thing if I actively dislike them, but otherwise I kinda feel like a jerk for demonstrating that the thing they were proud of is actually a piece of junk. Maybe it's the result of having a brother ten years younger than me, and spending my teenage years being careful not to embarrass him at every opportunity for failing to be as good as I was at almost everything.

Stream

Enlightened
Maybe it's just me, but I actually feel kinda bad about showing people up like this. It's one thing if I actively dislike them, but otherwise I kinda feel like a jerk for demonstrating that the thing they were proud of is actually a piece of junk. Maybe it's the result of having a brother ten years younger than me, and spending my teenage years being careful not to embarrass him at every opportunity for failing to be as good as I was at almost everything.

Oh it wasn't like that at all, and I'm not into showing people up. I actually made a conscious effort not to shine it around unnecessarily, that's why I didn't feel the need to shine my light around the attic when I first asked if they needed a light. The basement was natural because I led the way down first. Not my fault if that inspired so-called 'flashlight envy'. I'm kind of curious why you picked my story to comment on, though, as it sort of pales in comparison to some of the other stories here. Like the guy bragging to his friends about the outdoorsman type club he had recently joined and all the high-end gear he had to purchase like a "super-bright" Mag Charger, only to be embarrassed and outshone by the P-Rocket of a light-savvy CPF'er; or the foreman thinking he would "save the day" with his pathetic little 6 LED cheapo light, only to be outshone in a crocodile dundee that's-not-a-light-moment by another one of our CPF'ers. Honestly, I think it's harmless fun. It's not like you're a jerk revving your expensive sports car next to some poor guy proudly showing off his new Hyundai to his friends. Flashlights are such mundane objects that most people would never stop to give a second's thought. Showing them a real quality light can often set them on a path to become a more conscious and informed consumer, and maybe even a fellow CPFer. Perhaps the glee expressed at some points in this thread can make it sound as if it's somewhat mean spirited, or perhaps you just need to lighten up (no pun intended). :)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
After living through the six week power outage in New Orleans following Katrina I had CPFer IsaacHayes build a thrower for me. A CYAN LuxIII, Osink in a 3C M/\G host. By today's standards it's pretty modest, but it's brilliant 1-2 DEG beam really blew away a friend of mine. He offered me far more than I paid for it. He couldn't understand that I couldn't just make a phone call and get another one. I told him that I was only able to get the light for myself because I knew that IsaacHayes already had the sweet emitter the project needed and without it there could be no more.

The guy never did understand.

Last edited:

varmint

Enlightened
Last night after practice at our gunclub they were shining their lights at the 200 yd targets and one said wait till Kenny gets his new Maglite out you wont believe it, neither could I, he had just new batteries in a new light, their were several Cosco cheap lights. I could not resist, all I had was my Derrelight XML V2 with smooth reflector, you could not even see their beams in my light, everyone wanted to look at it and 1 person copied the name down and called me later as to where he could get one, the price scared him, I doubt he will get one. It was amusing, this is the 3rd time I have done this. Sunday week we have a night competetion and I will take my TN11 and D/L ASPV3 last time none could compare to them.
100 yd shots are very easy with the D/L asperical lens.. The TN11 does better for room clearing drills.
Larry

Last edited:

valueknifelover

Newly Enlightened
Showing them a real quality light can often set them on a path to become a more conscious and informed consumer, and maybe even a fellow CPFer.

This is what happened to me :) Can't imagine going back to the world of thinking my 2-D MagLite was about as practical and good as it could possibly get... and then cheapie LED lights were AWESOME!

I thank my friend's Preon 2 for helping me see the light (yeah... I said that). Now that I have acquired the lights I feel are practical for the time being (we all know there will be more and more as time goes on) the next on my list in a drop in for that ol' MagLite!

Sorry to get off track... Just showing that you guys showing off your lights can lead to more addicts!

fyrstormer

Banned
Oh it wasn't like that at all, and I'm not into showing people up. I actually made a conscious effort not to shine it around unnecessarily, that's why I didn't feel the need to shine my light around the attic when I first asked if they needed a light. The basement was natural because I led the way down first. Not my fault if that inspired so-called 'flashlight envy'. I'm kind of curious why you picked my story to comment on, though, as it sort of pales in comparison to some of the other stories here. Like the guy bragging to his friends about the outdoorsman type club he had recently joined and all the high-end gear he had to purchase like a "super-bright" Mag Charger, only to be embarrassed and outshone by the P-Rocket of a light-savvy CPF'er; or the foreman thinking he would "save the day" with his pathetic little 6 LED cheapo light, only to be outshone in a crocodile dundee that's-not-a-light-moment by another one of our CPF'ers. Honestly, I think it's harmless fun. It's not like you're a jerk revving your expensive sports car next to some poor guy proudly showing off his new Hyundai to his friends. Flashlights are such mundane objects that most people would never stop to give a second's thought. Showing them a real quality light can often set them on a path to become a more conscious and informed consumer, and maybe even a fellow CPFer. Perhaps the glee expressed at some points in this thread can make it sound as if it's somewhat mean spirited, or perhaps you just need to lighten up (no pun intended). :)
Ah, I missed the part where you were the first person down the stairs.

I responded to your post and not others because your post is the one I just happened to stop and read while skimming the thread. Nothing personal.

fyrstormer

Banned
After living through the six week power outage in New Orleans following Katrina I had CPFer IsaacHayes build a thrower for me. A CYAN LuxIII, Osink in a 3C M/\G host. By today's standards it's pretty modest, but it's brilliant 1-2 DEG beam really blew away a friend of mine. He offered me far more than I paid for it. He couldn't understand that I couldn't just make a phone call and get another one. I told him that I was only able to get the light for myself because I knew that IsaacHayes already had the sweet emitter the project needed and without it there could be no more.

The guy never did understand.
Maybe he would've been happy with a comparable light with a white emitter, or something similar.

Stream

Enlightened
This is what happened to me :) Can't imagine going back to the world of thinking my 2-D MagLite was about as practical and good as it could possibly get... and then cheapie LED lights were AWESOME!

Exactly. If I see someone with a really cool or handy tool it just peaks my interest. I'm hardly gonna go stew over someone having a better or cooler power drill than I do.

Just showing that you guys showing off your lights can lead to more addicts!

Haha, your last line makes it sound like it can be a bit of a curse. On the one hand you're enlightening someone by showing them what's out there, on the other hand you may have created a monster lol.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today,
Stopped to check by with another Officer. Had an ambulance on the way and we were in a parking lot so it could be difficult to see us. The ambulance pulls up and starts to look for us from the roadway. I take out my Klarus XT-11 and use strobe to get the attention of the driver.

Once he gets out of the box the driver looks at me, shakes his head and says I was an A@* Ho*& and what the heck was that light that blinded him.

Then he says I really need to get one of those.

Latest posts