Have you ever caused "Flashlight-Envy"?

Stream

Enlightened
Maybe envy is too strong,admire,impressed maybe better suited and it would be far more if i unleashed the beasts :laughing: However ,having a $700 light roll off a robot whilst working really does nothing for me:duh2:

Maybe the thread title should have been "Have you ever wowed anyone with your lights". Either way, I enjoyed reading your story, and all the other stories in this thread :)

ven

Flashaholic
Maybe the thread title should have been "Have you ever wowed anyone with your lights". Either way, I enjoyed reading your story, and all the other stories in this thread :)

Cheers:)..........can i count? :laughing:

The person who i wow the most is me :laughing: the last 2 wow lights were

Amazing tint and output,and so heavy

Rach was kind of wowed,she was very impressed and loved the tint..................in fact she wanted it:tsk: was the reply

One that took me by surprise was the tm06vn u3,that imo is a wow light,the output,tint and compact size is astonishing

Charles L.

Enlightened
Oh, I'm sure. But hearing all the dirty details is what makes it fun to read ;)

No dirty details, unfortunately, just a few offers to buy it. My fellow campers were as impressed by the H600's moonlight modes as they were with its max output. None of them were familiar with lithium-ion batteries, however, so the H600 remains in my possession ;)

buds224

Enlightened
Had a great time with the Cub Scout camping weekend. Tent well lit, Solar Generator to keep everything, including cell phones, topped off. The best part was people seeing my beam shots with the Manker e14 on Turbo. Everyone swore up and down that it was a large flashlight until I showed it to them; the looks on their faces was priceless. My little camping area was unmatched in terms of lighting and supplies.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds like a blast! This is the best camping weather where I live right now too. :)

Open Carry Jenkins

Newly Enlightened
Most of my friends are flashlight geeks to some degree, so the envy/oneupsmanship game is always fun.

That having been said, my best friend and her husband were recently really impressed by my EDC Olight S1R Baton. I think I know what they're getting for Christmas . . .one each, of course. Why cause fights? ;)

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a Surefire Beast II when they first came out in ~2006.

Back then that light was a total butt kicker. Every place we took it people had to come and check it out, ask questions, and shake their head in disbelief.

Lately the K60 and K70 have been the lights that draw a lot of attention.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think I may have one night, but not sure.

A jogger dressed in dark clothes was running down a sidewalk on the opposite side of a highway one night while I was at work. Folks shined their little toys towards the guy saying "is that a person?" No light reached the person.

I shined my FL2 that way and said "who that guy?" and lit him up pretty good... in fact it caused the jogger to pause as if it were a 'oh snap it's the cops' type momentary action.

One dude says "that's a bad mom-f-word"... I handed it in that guys direction saying "check it out" and he walked away. Don't know if it was envy or embarassment because he had the brightest light on the job up to that point and is the guy everybody else respects the most.
I was just the inspector there.. nobody likes the inspector.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just at a flashaholic get together and probably should start a new thread titled "what will it take to cause flashlight envy?" I had 2 dozen lights to sell but the other guys blew me away with what was absolute jewelry in their possession. The only reason I got a passing glance from anyone is because I pulled out the deft-x right before sundown.

Dale P.

Newly Enlightened
I'm a mason and work in a lot of dark buildings. Most of the guys use cheap head AAA head lamps on their hard hats, but I have a Nitecore HC30 strapped to my head. Yesterday I walked into a very dark room with six guys trying to work wearing cheap headlamps with half dead batteries. My Nitecore lamp lit up the room so bright that every one stopped working and asked where they could get one. I didn't even have it on high! Medium is bright enough and it lasts 3.5 hours on that setting. I swap out the battery on my breaks so I never have a dim light. I use to go through three to six AAA batteries every day, but now I just charge up three 18650's and I'm ready to go again.

Dale P.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often use my manker e14 as one of my edc's at work. I build interior in boats. 2-3 weeks ago the manker dropped out of my pocket when climbing onboard a boat i was rebuilding. Did not even notice it fell out, 4 meter drop into concrete floor. The boat owner found it and asked if it was mine. Told him yes, and he said he found it under the boat. But then he took his showerhead 3xaaa cheapo out of his pocket and claimed mine must be too dim to use as a worklight, because it only got 4 leds. His light had 15 leds, and clearly it must be better. His jaw dropped when i turned the e14 on turbo to check if it still worked after the fall. 5 minutes later he came back to me and asked about the cost, brand name, and where i bought it :) He had to have one in a hurry before the herring season started. Helped him order one with a 18650 tube, and a convoy c8 (because the long reach might be good for him at sea) + some batteries and a charger. He called me two days ago and thanked for the help. He have been telling other fishermen for years that he hated led lights because they were so useless, blue and dim, and that his d cell maglite was mutch better... But now he was a bit embarrassed... The manker (nichia version) could light up the whole deck, with a beutiful tint. And the c8 almost had the same reach as his old roofmounted searchlight. He wants me to mount a bigger xenon or led searchlight on his boat the next time he drops by, so i think a new flashaholic is born :)

Today one of the guys working in the office came down waving around with a ~100 lumen 1xaa light. Asked if i could have a look at it. It was a decent made cheapo with a old xp-g led, but he bragged that the seller had told him it was the world brightest light for it's size. And he paid almost 100$ for it at a industrial tool store. Told him that he was scammed, something he refused. Argued that i have been hoarding lights for about 10 years. It could not be the brightest for it's size because then i would have owned one, or atleast heard about the brand name before. He got annoyed, pointed the light at the wall and asked if i had something brighter than his light?? Asked him "what light?", and drowned it with the output from the manker:devil: Repeated that he had been scammed, and overpaid big time for the light. He got a bit butthurt and went quietly back to his office :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I was just at a flashaholic get together and probably should start a new thread titled "what will it take to cause flashlight envy?" I had 2 dozen lights to sell but the other guys blew me away with what was absolute jewelry in their possession. The only reason I got a passing glance from anyone is because I pulled out the deft-x right before sundown.

The thing I noticed is that a true flashaholic is like a surfer.... riding 2' or 20' (waves), the smiles are still the same.
So when you are among friends they dig a good old mini mag just as much as a Malkoff.