HDS Clicky 140, 200 & N170 Low Mode Runtime Tests

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has the HDS design/control features changed, since it was more efficient on the older models? If the control is the same, that should imply that the circuitry inside need not consume more power. If the design now incorporates microchips to control a bunch of stuff to give more/better features, I could see how that would effect the power consumption. Perhaps that is the case. (I don't think it's a positive move, but we've already been over that.)

That is exactly it right there. The light has a tiny computer running it. It keeps track of voltage, watts, heat, etc.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is exactly it right there. The light has a tiny computer running it. It keeps track of voltage, watts, heat, etc.

In a future design, could the processor be turned off or bypassed if the light is in a low mode when it's not needed, and just revert to the efficient way of running the LED? Turn it back on for high modes where voltage and heat matter.

Megatrowned

Enlightened
my usual tailstanding night light duty light, which is the old CPF VB16 from Wits' End. Dials all the way down to zero, and after a couple of months of ~0.01 - 0.02 lumen level night light duty, still shows over 4 volts on the 18650. Not planning a runtime test on that one..

What?! No comparison runtime test? But we could keep feeding our lights cr123's, and in 20 years, we could compare how many we used VS your 18650...
Anyone want to volunteer some batteries for this test? :anyone:

:laughing:

That at sounds like an awesome light Hondo! I'm going to have to do some research on that one.

And does anyone remember what the 100 lm Twisties runtime on the lowest setting was claimed to be?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What?! No comparison runtime test? But we could keep feeding our lights cr123's, and in 20 years, we could compare how many we used VS your 18650...
Anyone want to volunteer some batteries for this test? :anyone:

:laughing:

OK, not to disappoint, we can have instant gratification as this light is easy-peasy to measure tailcap current on. At only 0.45 mA, it will run about 8 months on the setting I use at night, which like I said, is probably around 0.01 or 0.02 lumens, for about 8 months on my crappy 2500 mAh batteries scavenged from laptop packs, running 24/7. At the usual ~6 hours a night I use, I could go about 2 1/2 years without charging. Almost 3 1/2 years on a new 3400 mAh battery.

Here is the 2005 sales thread: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?92568-Anouncement-CPF-LE-16-level-flashlight

Told you it was old! I modded mine with a Seoul P4, so it is twice as bright, and I have D-C Fix diffuser film on it, as it was a narrow, ringy beam.

Here is a review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/britestuff_vari-brite.htm

And now, back to my CRI Clicky - still burning away strong as ever after 15 days!

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Awesome Hondo! I love lights that go super low like that, I just don't have a really good use for that though. That's why I really like your night light idea. And the run time for that is sweet! I really need to get a proper diffuser for my clicky so I can try it out as a nightlight :sssh:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are in the home stretch now. At just before 7:30 AM it started the low battery warning blink, which is a quick blink off once a second, so it is still on most of the time and remains quite useful, so the test continues.

That makes 491.5 hours to the warning track, and we just hit 498 hours total. "I think I can, I think I can".

Glad I was here to see this, but only because of biblical floods that closed my workplace. Over 1,000 stranded cars in the city, all major highways closed at some point with some cars completely submerged, still, after more than 16 hours since the rain stopped. One person found dead in her car in 3 1/2 feet of water. We just had a puddle in one corner of the basement, so I'm lucky, since our street flooded over axle high. Next door was obviously not as lucky, they were out in the rain raking the storm grate and starting a siphon on their in-ground pool. They are calling it a "200 year flood". And no, dang it, the power did not go out, not even for an instant!

More storms forecast tonight.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Thanks for doing this.

You've inspired me. In the interest of science, on 31 July I set aside a legacy clicky with a fresh battery and locator flash going. If it runs significantly over two months (that's about how long it takes to kill a battery on a Rotary), I'll post about it.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be safe Hondo, everyone is having crazy weather our world is changing.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for doing the test, makes me wish I still had my clicky instead of the rotary, 4x longer beats 4 battery changes...oh well.
Sorry to hear about all the bad weather and related problems, hope things improve quickly.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
45 more minutes to the 500 hour mark. And a thunderstorm just rolled over, heavy rain starting again.

gottawearshades, you should have a much shorter wait than powernoodle.
Edit: Whoops, no, maybe not. I was looking at the comparison to a Rotary, but you said it is a Legacy, so get ready for a long haul, as in years, not months.

Update: It made it, 500 hours! Still in low-batt. warning mode. (rain let up for now too)

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaaand... done. Died about two minutes to eight, which would have been three weeks, or 504 hours. So, what did we learn?

1. The "legacy" lights will go three weeks, almost to the minute, on a CR123, much like the older series, at 0.07 - 0.08 lumens.

2. The low battery warning flash will last 12.5 hours on this lowest mode, so no big rush to get to another battery or light.

3. There is a series of rapid flashes for just a few seconds before it goes out at the end, thanks to Mrs. Hondo, who was facing it at the moment of extinction.

4. The shelf life of CR123's is truly as great as it is reputed to be. This 7+ year old Sanyo did much the same as previous tests with newly manufactured cells.

5. Battery resting voltage at end of test is 1.62 Volts - Wow, that's a vampire! Only markings that appear to be variable are "JE". I assume that is the date code, but have no idea how to interpret it.

6. Hondo won't be replicating powernoodles 3+ year locator flash runtime test. gottawearshades already has that covered. My money is on it being close to what powernoodle got.

BTW, nothing but a few brief showers predicted here for the rest of the night, and then three days of sunshine. Two dead, untold totaled cars and basements, one home completely destroyed and roads will take weeks to repair. All from just rain, about 5 1/2 inches. Second highest in history, 2 1/2 times the record for that day.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great test Hondo! Very interesting results, and comparison between the Legacy lights and the ACME lights.

Maxbelg

Enlightened
Yes, a big thanks for doing this test: makes me pleased that I still have a Legacy Ti Ra Clicky 170GDP!!!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the efficiency test Hondo... great lessons learned too.

Latest posts