HDS Monochromatic Lights

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
You boys need more employees. Don't the children of the HDS group want to get in on the action?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see it as advantage that things are going some kind of slow @HDS. Sure, I would like to have my ordered BeCu and Stainless Steel, now, immediately, no wait....

But delays are happening, and it is important to focus on particular tasks, or solve particular problems. I have the feeling that HDS is working in exactly this way. And I know it is always worth waiting for some new HDS items since everything is perfect. :)

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The moral of the story is, don't take a blue light if you're hunting for rattlers.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may have been asked before, but can the output of these lights be measured in Lumens? If so what would be the output be on the Red or Amber?

LEDphile

Enlightened
This may have been asked before, but can the output of these lights be measured in Lumens? If so what would be the output be on the Red or Amber?
Monochromatic light can be measured in lumens, (and in fact is reported that way by the LED manufacturers for most colors of LEDs), but the values that you get aren't all that useful for estimating how bright the saturated color is going to look. Even ignoring the large differences in lumens for the same radiometric output as the wavelength shifts that occur at the edges of the range of visible light (deep reds and blues - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity_function), there are also saturation effects. So a highly saturated color will usually appear to be brighter than a desaturated color (e.g. white) with the same measured lumen value.

For the 250mW at 595nm HDS amber, that's probably in the 130 lumen range depending on the exact spectral power distribution.

Last edited:

klackey

Enlightened
A far less scientific evaluation than the above reply, is that it was much brighter and way more useful then I expected. I love it as my indoor late night bathroom light (the low is ultra low). It also has plenty of output for outside if desired, however the amber has limitations in color rendering... obviously. I find it useful and it earned a place in my travel light kit.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We can, and have put them on the sphere, but like LEDphile said, the lumen numbers don't mean much. We do it to check how clean the output is and just where it is... we don't exactly trust the spec sheets.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Dan. I did find this thread that gives good explanation as well.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amber is plenty bright and has awesome throw.
I have a Hyper Red and it's the same, so I put some diffusion film on.
I really want an Amber, but don't think I need both Red and Amber, need being the operative word here. While it gets little use, I am having a hard time parting with the red.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red was done as a way of preserving the rhodopsin in your peepers (keeping better night vision). Amber was done for things like camping and fishing as it doesn't attract the flying critters...