HDS Systems #23

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I can't activate the locator flash. I've selected the menu item a few times, but no luck. Still four clicks from off?
Great set of options with all Henry's lights and the locator beacon is one I always program right away. Not sure when exactly it started but probably 2017 or so, the locator beacon stays activated through battery changes, instead of having to turn it back on every time.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great set of options with all Henry's lights and the locator beacon is one I always program right away. Not sure when exactly it started but probably 2017 or so, the locator beacon stays activated through battery changes, instead of having to turn it back on every time.
Thanks, I got it all sorted. I used to be more fluent in HDS speak, but I haven't changed clicky settings in a few years. I also ditched the pocket clip, swapped out the raised button for a flush one and now I'm toting it in a Hogo holster!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it all sorted.
congrats
encouraged me to break out the manuals and re-visit the programming

On an sw45k Rotary:
Force Preset on B mode set to the Rotary Dial (single clic),
10 lumen C mode (double clic)
Strobe on D mode (triple clic)
Preset A gives 200 lumens (hold for Turbo)
Locator Flash enabled but toggled off
Step Down (burst) disabled
Programming menu disabled
sw45k.jpg

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats
encouraged me to break out the manuals and re-visit the programming

On an sw45k Rotary:
Force Preset on B mode set to the Rotary Dial (single clic),
10 lumen C mode (double clic)
Strobe on D mode (triple clic)
Preset A gives 200 lumens (hold for Turbo)
Locator Flash enabled but toggled off
Step Down (burst) disabled
Programming menu disabled
View attachment 51454
That's quite close to my rotary settings, although I like burst mode and auto shut off.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like burst mode and auto shut off
its great to have choices ;-)

I dont use Burst (misnomer, its actually a 33% Step Down), because if I need to use maximum, I do not want it to get dimmer after 40 seconds.

I lost interest in Auto off (misnomer, its actually auto dimming), when it changed from a 10 minute timer, to a 12 hour step down cycle:

from the latest manual:
"The whole dimming process takes roughly 12 hours before your flashlight is finally turned off.

If you are using a lower power setting, you will not see any change until the dimming process has reached your brightness level. This could be seconds, minutes or hours past the 10 minute start, depending on the starting brightness level."

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the wait for the new generation continues, I received a couple of old ones thanks to the help yywrxg00. One Ra EDC 120 lm Osram with 22 levels, after 10 seconds 22 level drops to 21 leve (85 lumens), so I reconfigured it to 85 lumens; and Tactical 200 lm. Beautiful creatures! For Ra put a steel bezel from Twisty, who was very kindly gift by mcbrat

In the photo where there are 2 beams next to each other, this is simply the distribution of light at the same brightness. 200 lumens hits further at night. I hope that over time I will be able to buy a suitable device and be able to build a graph in linear coordinates like on the Ledil website like this TIR Iris + XHP35HI
LEDIL_IRIS_(XHP35_HI).jpg

Both of them are not rotary, so I configured them as D-6/B-12/C-18/A-24 levels for XP-G and D-1/B-9/C-16/A-21 levels for Osram

I hope the new generation will have variants modern Osrams, they give an excellent beam and are not too narrow

Attachments

• IMG_8134.JPG
    IMG_8134.JPG
    752.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8135.JPG
    IMG_8135.JPG
    993.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8141.JPG
    IMG_8141.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 63

Rossymeister

Enlightened
its great to have choices ;-)

I dont use Burst (misnomer, its actually a 33% Step Down), because if I need to use maximum, I do not want it to get dimmer after 40 seconds.

I lost interest in Auto off (misnomer, its actually auto dimming), when it changed from a 10 minute timer, to a 12 hour step down cycle:

from the latest manual:
"The whole dimming process takes roughly 12 hours before your flashlight is finally turned off.

If you are using a lower power setting, you will not see any change until the dimming process has reached your brightness level. This could be seconds, minutes or hours past the 10 minute start, depending on the starting brightness level."

I absolutely agree!

I love the 10 min auto off on the older lights.

Wonder what the purpose was changing it to 12 hours?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a newer 200 lumens HCRI $400 light
LOL, my crystal ball sees it differently
(speculation runs rampant)

Its a CR123/16340/18350 triple fuel light. Capable of 400 LiIon lumens, for $200 (in my dreams). And it has a screwed on pocket clip that works Head Down on a Rotary, without interfering with the dial. ;-)

Hogo will be along shortly, to obfuscate further.. LOL

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely agree!

I love the 10 min auto off on the older lights.

Wonder what the purpose was changing it to 12 hours?

All of mine have either a 5 or 10 minute shutdown. I stopped turning on this setting because sometimes I use them as a stationary light and when it starts to get dark, and I'm in an upside-down position, which is difficult to get into, and then the light starts to fade. You have to go out and turn it on again, it's not always convenient. Or I use the light as a beacon, i.e. it's standing somewhere and I can see where to return, there's no need to turn it off here either. I like the current dimming type better, but it would be cool if could select the dimming speed in the settings

Or if it worked like a burst, but not for 1 level (24->23), but for 6-8 levels or up to a given level. Example, in the settings we set the minimum dimming to level 10 and the time to 10 minutes. Someone turns on the light at level 24, or 20, or any level, and if it is above level 10, then after 10 minutes it starts dimming to level 10 and remains there until pressed again. If we don't like this person but have to give him a flashlight (some boss or neighbor), then we set the minimum level in advance to level 5 and the shutdown timer to 2 minutes :devilish:

And enable/disable in 8 quick clicks from off

But these are just dreams

Last edited:

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Hi everyone, in one of my rotaries, since last week, the rubber boot started to puff up and the texture changed, it's very grippy. It's like air is built up inside and I can't get it back to normal, making it wobble while tailstanding. I have let the battery tube unscrewed from the head so it can breath and equalize the pressure for a few days and no change. I really don't want to send it back to HDS for a boot replacement, nor I want to do it myself.

I have not used any chemicals on the boot, did not change temperature or pressure, did not get wet, just regular use around the house.

Any advices? Here's a picture, notice that the one on the right is puffed up and the left is flat and shinier. Anyone has experienced this before? Thank you.

IMG_3051.jpeg

Lithium466

Enlightened
I had that before, it's decaying and will need replacement at some point. You might get lucky and still get a few more years out of it, if the "puffyness" isn't a problem.
Eventually it will crack.

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's only a few months old, how can it be decaying?
Just some possibilities to consider: The boot may have been sitting for a long time before Henry/Hogo pulled it from the shelf to assemble your light. I don't think there's any way to keep track of manufacture date, nor do these have an expiration date. Also, it may have unknowingly come in contact with a solvent that accelerated the decay.

Either way, I hope boot holds up and the light continues to provide reliable service.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
It hasn't come in contact with any solvent. Not even sweat or water. I baby this light, I don't even carry it, just inside the house use.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Hi everyone, in one of my rotaries, since last week, the rubber boot started to puff up and the texture changed, it's very grippy. It's like air is built up inside and I can't get it back to normal, making it wobble while tailstanding. I have let the battery tube unscrewed from the head so it can breath and equalize the pressure for a few days and no change. I really don't want to send it back to HDS for a boot replacement, nor I want to do it myself.

I have not used any chemicals on the boot, did not change temperature or pressure, did not get wet, just regular use around the house.

Any advices? Here's a picture, notice that the one on the right is puffed up and the left is flat and shinier. Anyone has experienced this before? Thank you.

View attachment 51787
My SDR50 has the same issue, as recorded earlier in this thread i'm interested in replacing mine with a raised button though.

Edited to include images of aforementioned issue.
IMG_6521.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6518.jpeg
    IMG_6518.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 65
Last edited: