HDS Systems #23

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does HDS keep the build details by serial number?
If not, can the LED and such be identified by photos?
The only absolutes I know is an Executive, 120 lumens cool tint, has Acme threads

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The easiest way is a posting of a Picture with the LED and PCB marking. Sometimes the markings are not that easy to read.
Thank you. I'll post them when I receive the light.
I'll give Henry a ring, too, tomorrow just to see if he keeps records of the builds.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
just to see if he keeps records of the builds.
HDS does not keep a record of the serial numbers on the bezels.. they have no inventory meaning because bezels and reflectors are parts that people change.

afaik, the serial numbers are not catalogued by HDS

you could learn more about your light by reading some old links that come up from googling "HDS 120 Executive"

Here is the official HDS page with info on history of models
and the manuals...

here is a sales link, that tells the modes that light comes preprogrammed to:

and a video, for your entertainment while you wait for your light to arrive

Lithium466

Enlightened
I'm afraid it's also the "I don't care" attitude from the vendor...unfortunately I suffer the same at work, although I'm far from being Henry picky.

Without going into polemic, I can sometimes understand why employees go into that I don't care mode... not an excuse, but I get it.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflectors were not done by our usual machinist as we have his plate full with other things. Was done through another company that then finds the machine shop in the U.S., but won't let us communicate directly with them... Was utterly FUBAR. Even with go/no go gauges, they would ship batch upon batch that were "no go" as they obviously didn't even bother to check them.

The tails are coming along and I expect those to be shipping next month. Most likely near the end. These will have the redesigned contact board and contacts. Henry has been using one for awhile now. Much smoother. No sound from the fingers going over the contacts in counterclockwise rotation. More robust. Less tendency for skipping steps in brightness.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
"near future"... a Henry "near future" or a geological "near future?" I guess those are about the same.
If everything goes well (which it hasn't in the last 6 months) I would expect those to start shipping later next month...

Duster1671

Enlightened
I like the sound of the new tails (or, lack of sound). I have one of the original Rotaries (circa 2011) and the rotary mechanism is totally silent, silky smooth, and heavily damped. A real pleasure to use. And it's never skipped a brightness step that I've noticed, FWIW.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the sound of the new tails (or, lack of sound). I have one of the original Rotaries (circa 2011) and the rotary mechanism is totally silent, silky smooth, and heavily damped. A real pleasure to use. And it's never skipped a brightness step that I've noticed, FWIW.
Skipping brightness steps is pretty rare, but has happened. The Rotary tail has gone through several different iterations. The first ones were pretty smooth but the contact fingers were quite delicate. Not a problem in normal use but in extreme use, they could get bent. The next major iteration reduced the number of contact fingers and made them more robust... the added stiffness of those fingers then could sometimes be felt when they went over the contact board in a counter clockwise rotation as the contact board wasn't completely flush but had little troughs in it. This iteration has even more robust fingers but also a new contact board that is smooth. Should be able to take one heck of a beating and not miss a beat... and be very smooth.