HDS Systems #23

archimedes

Flashaholic
I think there were a series of posts some while back which discussed the electronic "overhead" of the newer ( Rotary? ) firmware was a more significant proportion of power consumption at the lowest output levels.

So, simple extrapolation may be progressively further off lower down the scale, well apart from the non-linear effects of heat and current on emitter and battery.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I'm seem to recall the discussion saying that's because the driver is basically a tiny computer, and that computer takes power to run, and at low enough settings, the led is only a fraction of the total power consumption.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
18350/18500 Battery Compartment Pre-Sale

Just so I understand, anybody who purchased a light with the special emitters after they became available in standard bodies, those orders haven't began processing yet because the copper and stainless orders are still being processed?
Sorry Hogo, I'm trying to hold out, but the anticipation is getting to me. I feel like I've been waiting FOREVER for a chance to get an NB35 in a standard clicky body, the special runs are usually restricted to special metals and always seems to be rotary. (I know, it's what all the kids like… [emoji28]) Now it finally happened! Dream light! Just gotta hold out long enough…
I just realized this whole post is in the wrong HDS thread. Sorry guys.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 18350/18500 Battery Compartment Pre-Sale

Just so I understand, anybody who purchased a light with the special emitters after they became available in standard bodies, those orders haven't began processing yet because the copper and stainless orders are still being processed?
Sorry Hogo, I'm trying to hold out, but the anticipation is getting to me. I feel like I've been waiting FOREVER for a chance to get an NB35 in a standard clicky body, the special runs are usually restricted to special metals and always seems to be rotary. (I know, it's what all the kids like… [emoji28]) Now it finally happened! Dream light! Just gotta hold out long enough…
I just realized this whole post is in the wrong HDS thread. Sorry guys.

Incorrect.
All but one stainless has shipped. All ordered BeCu have shipped. Today, several of the limited emitter lights are shipping.
If you were not one of the first in the feeding frenzy on this, you will have a wait. They have all been potted into heads.
More will go out next week. Then, there will be a longer delay as we wait on more parts needed to complete the potted heads.

JonM

Newly Enlightened
My aluminum NB45 was delivered today! It has a great beam! My only other experience with an HDS was a Hi Cri Ra Clicky from around 2010 which I sadly misplaced. I think it may have had an SSC P4 emitter, with about 120 lumens of max output. But I don't miss it as much now - SW45k emitter and the rotary interface of the new light is a nice step up!

I think I was one of the first people to click the link for the email. Hopefully whoever else placed an order right at the start of the sale will get their light soon as well.

Last edited:

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be interested and was hoping you guys can clarify the process. Do you just email and make a request if you don't see 219b Nichia sw35? Is sapphire lens worth it? Is 18650 a good choice for battery compartment (I have so many)? Lastly, which clip attachment is best, if any?

Thank you so much.

https://www.hdssystems.com/Products...ens=Lg&body=Bsb&button=F&battery=123&clip=Cno

If it's not there it's not available. If it's there and says out of stock, it's not available.

Sapphire lens.... depends. I wanted one this time around, others I didn't.

Yes, 18650 is a good choice, but there is no stock in rotary.

Depends, lots of posts about clips here if you search this thread I'm sure a few good topics will pop up.

neco

Enlightened
Pressed the button for magic link pretty early but didn't submit by purchase until around 7pm GMT-7. Assuming this means I'll be part of the long wait group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
For HDS it is mostly, not always good having a long breath. Most special things are takinge more time than expected. It is a small company with only a few people therefore if something takes longer or something unplanned the complete schedule starts moving to a later date.
Sure I would like to have my two aluminium lights right now, but I am patient and I will wait until I have a shipping confirmation.
It is the same with the 18350 and 18500 tube. I am of course courious, my guess is the 18500 will be a great tube, maybe the best tube at all? Also the 18350 is extremely promising due to the fact capable using 16340 and 18350 cells. But it takes the time that it takes. I know that things are moving slowly at HDS. Therefore even if there is a schedule guessed I know that is only a very rough guess that might be wrong for at least a few more month...

Therefore I am waiting for my aluminium lights and celebrate the waiting as good as I can :party::party::party::party::party:

And I am waiting for my battery tubes and drink .... no not rum ... more a goood gin tonic :buddies::buddies::buddies:

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
I might be interested and was hoping you guys can clarify the process. Do you just email and make a request if you don't see 219b Nichia sw35? Is sapphire lens worth it? Is 18650 a good choice for battery compartment (I have so many)? Lastly, which clip attachment is best, if any?

Thank you so much.

https://www.hdssystems.com/Products...ens=Lg&body=Bsb&button=F&battery=123&clip=Cno

Just to be clear, HDS occasionally has special limited offerings. The SW35 was part of a recent limited offering of special emitters. It seems the NB40 is still shown on the site. That would be a great alternative IMO. The HDS rotary control is brilliant.

Personally, I think the sapphire lens upgrade is not needed, and do not have it on any of my HDS.

Kalsu

Enlightened

Thank you so much.

I have always carried my HDS rotary with 275 paracord tied in a double constrictor knot around the body. I made the clip at work. It just hangs in my pocket. Never had it fall out. I think that the TEC accessories P-7 suspension clip would work pretty well.
2VIAOuS.jpg

mcsquare

Newly Enlightened
I'm a little hesitant to post this here, as I know what the official stance on modding your HDS is... but I think this is an interesting (and successful, phew!) experiment on my part, so I'd like to share it in case it catalyzes something new (far?) in the future :)

I've taken one step further on top of the fantastic HDSRB, and swapped in an OSRAM KW CSLNM1.TG (commonly known as W1) to further boost the throw. It worked well, and I've managed to get this nice beamshot grid for your reference (fixed ISO 100, WB 5500K):

OsqOVVM.jpg

As you can see, the HDSRB by itself boosts the hotspot of a regular emitter (e.g. the 219b in this case) substantially, comparable to using the W1 with a regular reflector. Combining the two (W1 + HDSRB), however, results in a extremely tight and intense hotspot, and in my opinion truly qualifies as a 'thrower'! Even with the regular HDS reflector, the W1 produced a truly fantastic beam shape that emphasized throw but still retained the useful spill with a smooth transition. Here's a real life beam shot (Top: NB30 regular reflector | Mid: Control | Bottom: W1 HDSRB):

075QU4q.jpg

Since Cree made the XP-P available recently, this type of performance is presumably now achievable with a 3535 footprint emitter and therefore HDS compatible. I'm not holding my breath for it to appear in a stock HDS any time soon, but I hope this serves as a proof of concept, and it may be considered to join the stock selection in the future!