HDS Systems #23

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We won't be doing anything new clip wise with the current light. We are still in discussions on the best course of action with the next one (don't hold your breath waiting for it).
If someone wants to come up with something and it meets or exceeds HDS standards (like the HDSRB project Simon did, or the bezels made by My Little CNC Shop), we will wholeheartedly support it and help in whatever way we can... it is a business opportunity for someone.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
The best solution for the rotary is no clip. I'm a huge clip guy and even with a clip the rotary is just easier to use with no clip. I have zero issues pocket carrying a rotary even with the 18650 body. Try it for a few days it's not bad.

Showngo

Newly Enlightened
I run clips on my rotaries under the bezel. I tested one by dropping into the deep end of the pool for 30min. No issues and that was good enough for me. Way better than without clip IMO.

djj

Newly Enlightened
A clip keeps it from rolling on a flat surface. But I like it clipless for holding and pocketing. Maybe the new design will have something else for roll prevention.

glimmer

Newly Enlightened
A clip keeps it from rolling on a flat surface. But I like it clipless for holding and pocketing. Maybe the new design will have something else for roll prevention.

The hexagonal rubber thingy from this kit fits perfectly on my rotary. I keep it on my 3000K HDS all the time. It lives in my home theater, so it's really nice that it will not roll off the table! (a small zip tie will work also if you're not pocket carrying) Now off to watch Stranger Things....

AAPRO_COMBO_BLK.png

klackey

Enlightened
Nope, sorry the next iteration should have provisions for a solid clip.......... Not a fan of the "universal" solution. I have used both and find the under the bezel solution to be very satisfactory compared to the official HDS "solution". However, if it is starting with a "clean slate" why not design something that works for both camps..... clip / no clip? The universal solution is .................... not adequate for me....... It loosens and causes the light to become loose.... almost lost it several times.

Wish the best sucess in a new design........... yep, it will be years.... that is HDS...... But they make incredible lights..... especially the humble clicky..... Love the rock solid performance of that light.

Stoneking

Enlightened
I truly believe this is the best clip option for the rotary. Someone just needs to machine a bezel with a little more meat in the tapped area, I would buy 10 of them! Not me because I have zero machinist skills or knowledge.
13F741EC-756A-4564-9A04-DBD74FD3B5EA.jpeg
6F7E9B39-EEE5-42BC-B262-3DEF81D33E65.jpeg
5DF10FE8-0F50-4D63-88F9-CCAA13DF7C50.jpeg

This clip is absolutely solid, but it would be better if there was more for the screws to hold.
2C1E285D-B2B9-4303-B6E0-CF95A0348196.jpeg

This work was not done by me.

TheJLew85

Enlightened
The best solution for the rotary is no clip. I'm a huge clip guy and even with a clip the rotary is just easier to use with no clip. I have zero issues pocket carrying a rotary even with the 18650 body. Try it for a few days it's not bad.
Same for me. I usually carry an 18650 Rotary without clip. I used to do the clip under bezel method until I had my light removed from my pocket accidentally because it got caught on something. No clip for me. It didn't take long to get used to and now I prefer it.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Nope, sorry the next iteration should have provisions for a solid clip.......... Not a fan of the "universal" solution. I have used both and find the under the bezel solution to be very satisfactory compared to the official HDS "solution". However, if it is starting with a "clean slate" why not design something that works for both camps..... clip / no clip? The universal solution is .................... not adequate for me....... It loosens and causes the light to become loose.... almost lost it several times.

Wish the best sucess in a new design........... yep, it will be years.... that is HDS...... But they make incredible lights..... especially the humble clicky..... Love the rock solid performance of that light.
1659108477561.png

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻😁 that's all that needs to happen.
You have forgotten the intense and consistent complaining about the screw holes... Henry hasn't.
Anyone who has been on here any length of time knows my thoughts on the Universal Clip... I just don't know if it could possibly be made fuglier.
We will not get religious at HDS... won't be holy.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Hogo, a while back you were cursed with many batches of… creatively interpreted manufacturing on the reflectors, was the issue the reflector part or the threads on them? And if it's just the threads, did you retain any of them or throw them all into the machinist's bedroom window?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
All bad parts get sent back... Henry uses UPS to do it. I would use one of the Armstrong cannons on Malta or Gibraltar... but that is just me.

LRJ88

Enlightened
In case you ever get defective reflectors which can't be sent back and would just get thrown away as trash, would you consider donating or selling a few of them at a reduced price for experimenting on? It feels like a huge waste to use a new and working reflector just to throw it in the mill and potentially **** it up when trying to see if the thing i mentioned earlier in the thread could be viable.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I still think this was the most solid way of securing a clip onto an HDS.
There were even filler screws available for folks that didn't like the clip holes.
Absolutely. But times have changed for hds owners. And I'll leave that alone. if not holes, all that is needed is a flat spot on the bezel that protrudes larger then the OD of the bezel then that can be tapped for a clip.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, i think the best solution on the new light would to go both holy and unholy on the tail cap as most seem to want bezel down carry. Becomes more of an inventory issue at that point. Make it so the holes are spaced the same as all those fancy pants clips that are out there. That would be my solution. No more complaining about holes or no holes... problem solved except for the a-hole who has to keep track of inventory... and that would be me! LOL!