HDS Systems EDC #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, according to Henry, expected to appear by end of this month but it would be in very short supply.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, according to Henry, expected to appear by end of this month but it would be in very short supply.

I hope demand completely outstrips supply. If high CRI runs sell out quickly, perhaps other makers will take notice and we'll start seeing high CRI as a more common option.

--flatline

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope demand completely outstrips supply. If high CRI runs sell out quickly, perhaps other makers will take notice and we'll start seeing high CRI as a more common option.

--flatline

I believe some already have. Malkoff and Army Tek come to mind in the non-custom arena and from all accounts Gene's drop-in has a beautiful beam.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

--flatline

I believe some already have. Malkoff and Army Tek come to mind in the non-custom arena and from all accounts Gene's drop-in has a beautiful beam.

And so is Zebralight.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably won't happen. The vast majority of flashlight purchasers, even knowledgeable enthusiasts like the folks who hang out at CPF, are more impressed with a big number on the box than they are with the quality of light coming out the front.

Still, it's good to hear that the high CRI lights are finally in production. Hopefully when they're listed they won't sell out before I can get my order in.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably won't happen. The vast majority of flashlight purchasers, even knowledgeable enthusiasts like the folks who hang out at CPF, are more impressed with a big number on the box than they are with the quality of light coming out the front.

Still, it's good to hear that the high CRI lights are finally in production. Hopefully when they're listed they won't sell out before I can get my order in.

I am one of the "knowledgeable enthusiasts" here on CPF who likes a big number on the box. I don't care if it is eggshell white or virgin white, if I can see it, then I am happy. I want to be able to see, and the more lumens the better. :)

nbp

Flashaholic
Yes I believe so because they are coated and then factory assembled, they are not user modded lights.

Proflash

Newly Enlightened
Mine actually came like this. I'm not sure if they're all caused by the same problem, but here's what I did to fix mine- remove the switch cap and flip it over... you'll see where to tighten the rubber tail cap... just tighten it and your problem will be fixed. You can use a lot of things to tighten it, but I found an old chisel worked GREAT since it was perfectly wide enough (just be careful). The more you tighten it the more 'play' the rubber cap will have before clicking. Here's a picture.

ZyN2B.jpg

Thank you for posting this bit of info, eightbitpotion. My clip was spinning freely, and I thought that was how it supposed to be. I tightened up the piece inside of the tailcap, and it it now nice and snug. :thumbsup:

I suspect the problem here is that the light is so close to the wall. That is not your typical beamshot.
Proflash, could you post a shot from 6 feet away?
I did a test with all of my lights and they all look crazy so close to the wall. Also the camera exposes differently because of super-bright hotspot.
Read through here if you need a reference.

I appreciate you pointing me to that thread, bansuri. There is a lot of useful information in that post.

Just to be clear, all of the settings in the second set of indoor images that I took (except for white balance) were locked. I tried to adjust the settings so that they matched what I was seeing at the time. There is no exaggeration of the rings in the photo - that is how they appear.

In the outdoor beamshots (which were on auto settings), the ring is actually less visible than it appears.

I have other lights with beams that look much better at the same range from the wall (as seen in the images on the previous pages), which is why I was concerned about the beam on the HDS.

I'll see if I can take some more/better beamshots later this week.

Thanks TyJo, didn't see that.
I modded a 200 to neutral for a CPFer and didn't notice the ring, I'll check with him tomorrow and have him inspect it.
If not, this one may need to head back to Henry, maybe a mismatched reflector has it sitting high.

ProFlash,
The stop shoulder on the reflector should prevent any focus issues with the reflector,
Does the shoulder fit flush to the head?
Have you installed a bezel-up clip on the head?

To support the reflector theory I offer a pic of my EDC 120 XM-L with the reflector unscrewed just barely.

Unscrewed
nmjm08.jpg

Screwed in
2je63yv.jpg

Please note that I'm running an unsupported emitter in this so the "screwed in" pic may not be as smooth as a stock emitter.

The bezel was on pretty tight, but I managed to get it off and snap a couple of pictures. Here's how it looks:

dsc0304mh.jpg

dsc0309q.jpg

It does appear that the reflector could be sitting high. I'm guessing that it needs to be tightened, but I can't seem to screw it in any further. Is there a special way to tighten the reflector without touching the inside?

Judging from what I've read, the beam on my light is not what should be expected from an HDS. I think I'll contact Henry tomorrow and see if he can help; I really don't want to part with my HDS though :sigh:.

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
It does appear that the reflector could be sitting high. I'm guessing that it needs to be tightened, but I can't seem to screw it in any further. Is there a special way to tighten the reflector without touching the inside?

Judging from what I've read, the beam on my light is not what should be expected from an HDS. I think I'll contact Henry tomorrow and see if he can help; I really don't want to part with my HDS though :sigh:.
I don't see much, if any, of a gap between the knurled section and the smooth shoulder on the reflector.
A big, fat rubber band would help you tighten it, but it doesn't look like it will go in much.
It may be the wrong reflector or a defective one.
Henry's great to deal with and you'll come away knowing more about your light in the end.
I've sent a couple lights in for work and they both were back in a week or two.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he doesn't get that high CRI out soon I'm not going to have any money left.

I'm going stir crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.