HDS Systems EDC #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, Im having a real dilema on whether or not to buy the Rotary.

The biggest thing that is stopping me pulling the trigger on the Rotary is the fact that its not as sleek looking as the regular Clicky. Its the tiny little silver screw and the odd shaped tailcap that just looks a little last minute and flimsy, compared to the tried and tested Clicky.

What are your views and opinions on the Rotary tailcap and overall feel, fit and finish? I would very much like to get one as I have a perfectly good (modded) Clicky already of which gets used daily.

Initially I find the stop screw on the rotary's tail cap cheap and ugly, like what you said "a last minute" job, but I decided to go ahead with one and never regretted a single day of having the rotary with me. The rotary UI is really a plus point. The convenience of allowing me to set the desired output I want before switching it on is really great! Usually when on standby I leave the output on max, but if I want to preserve my night vision I just turn the dial all the way down to 0.08 lumen before switching it on. This convenience is something I don't get on the clicky. You will like it. I carried mine everyday since the day I got it during the 1st release.

Mgizler

Enlightened
Just as an addendum to other information provided previously, I wanted to pass this on as a sort of salve to soothe those who have been waiting a long time for new clickies and rotaries.

Apparently the machine shop that WAS doing work for Henry (isn't anymore) was really jacking up the jobs he was giving them. He indicated that they were very late on all of their parts, and there were serious quality problems with the parts they did deliver. Some batches of parts had over 90% of the parts rejected due to bad threads, bad anodizing, parts not to size, bad machining etc. So I am sure that as frustrated as you are to not have your lights, Henry is that much more frustrated. I know this doesn't put a rotary in your mitt, but I wanted to help support Henry. You can only imagine how problems like that would set back production, and I am confident that he is doing his very best to get lights done and out the door.

Take that for what you will, but IMO, I would not encourage people to cancel orders just yet. You'll get your lights.

I agree. I have been waiting since mid March, I couldn't take it anymore so I ordered a cerakoted o e from oveready. Looks like I'm going to have two clickies!!!! Henry said my light was supposed to ship today so I'm pretty pumped.

Hang in their guys, its definitely worth it

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was curious about how the resistance would hold up. My one question is how to keep the o-ring under the dial lubricated. There is apparently a generous amount of lube under there, but I figure it's going to need maintenance some day.
I had the exact same concerns about maintenance, I clean and lube my lights when they need it, but there is no way I will be getting to the rotary mechanism. My rotary has been flawless so I decided not to worry about it, but like you said, I imagine it might need maintenance eventually.

Last edited:

Patrik

Newly Enlightened
Can anybody tell me the difference between these two clickies? I am asking because the one light to the right doesent always come on as it should. Both was bought about one year ago. I have tryed and cleaned the parts that can affect the function but I think the fault is in the clickie, but I havent heard any that have problens with these so I dont really know.

SDC12654.jpg

Last edited:

wmirag

Enlightened
After many months of waiting, I received my rotary yesterday, directly from HDS. I guess that means they're back in production. The fit and finish are excellent. The led color is reasonably white. The beam is very useful though with some artifacts if I indulge my white wall hunter instincts. The rotary action is perfect. The clickie action is flawless. The factory settings seem well thought out so I'll stay with them for the time being.

There is a minor blemish 1/32 x 1/16 x 1/64 deep on the rotary cap; but everything else is very good, especially the led color (presumably the lottery at work), so I'm happy. It's a TOOL after all.

As far as EDC, I am going to retire my Surefire T1A and see how I like this HDS. For pocket carry, the HDS is significantly larger than the T1A but it has a lot more power and throw and it is more versatile (click on, tail stand, programmable). Time will tell if the extras are worth the weight - for my purposes.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my T200 clicky next to my Rotary. Pretty much identical in length. Clicky on the right.

Dsc02155.jpg

And for size reference, here is my T200 in my hand
HDST200a.jpg

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
Can anybody tell me the difference between these two clickies? I am asking because the one light to the right doesent always come on as it should. Both was bought about one year ago. I have tryed and cleaned the parts that can affect the function but I think the fault is in the clickie, but I havent heard any that have problens with these so I dont really know.
Patrik, If the solder points all look secure you could try squirting some contact cleaner onto the button of the intermittent unit, (battery and head removed just in case) and clicking it to work it around inside the switch.
Make sure the contact cleaner says Safe For Plastics as some are very harsh.

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
I've just started reading about these lights and they seem amazing. Do any of the current models have any problems at this time? Where is the best place to buy a HDS light with a discount yet still have good customer service and a warranty? I am a member of the marketplace but I have yet to find a deal on these lights. You can send me a PM if posting about vendors is not permitted.

I'm also wondering about the different button types. Do they both require the same amount of pressure to work? Is it easy to use the Executive type button? Would the Tactical button accidentally activate the light in a pocket?

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, there is no discount for HDS lights regardless of store you order it from. I believe that is an agreement between HDS and all the vendors. However, some online stores are offering freebies, i.e. Batteries or holster.

For tactical operations or ease of clicking, the raised tail cap is easier to operate, but the flushed tail cap is not too difficult so you can't go wrong with either. Honestly it is a matter of personal preference. The flushed tail cap allows for tail standing of the light, if that is important to you. Many have claimed that the flushed rubber switch does not really sit flushed against the tail cap and makes tail standing a little difficult (read wobbly) but latest batch of lights from HDS seem to have eliminated this problem. I am not entirely sure about that though, I guess only time will tell if the switch boot will bloat over time of usage.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the exact same concerns about maintenance, I clean and lube my lights when they need it, but there is no way I will be getting to the rotary mechanism. My rotary has been flawless so I decided not to worry about it, but like you said, I imagine it might need maintenance eventually.

So nobody else has any comments about Rotary maintenance?

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Just as an addendum to other information provided previously, I wanted to pass this on as a sort of salve to soothe those who have been waiting a long time for new clickies and rotaries.

Apparently the machine shop that WAS doing work for Henry (isn't anymore) was really jacking up the jobs he was giving them. He indicated that they were very late on all of their parts, and there were serious quality problems with the parts they did deliver. Some batches of parts had over 90% of the parts rejected due to bad threads, bad anodizing, parts not to size, bad machining etc. So I am sure that as frustrated as you are to not have your lights, Henry is that much more frustrated. I know this doesn't put a rotary in your mitt, but I wanted to help support Henry. You can only imagine how problems like that would set back production, and I am confident that he is doing his very best to get lights done and out the door.

Take that for what you will, but IMO, I would not encourage people to cancel orders just yet. You'll get your lights.

Nice update and very much explains the delays. The new shop should lead to Henry having more time for development instead of QC. Maybe, he will have time to post here again!??!
This gets my hopes back up for a AA tube HDS in the near future

gunnerdog

Newly Enlightened
I agree. I have been waiting since mid March, I couldn't take it anymore so I ordered a cerakoted o e from oveready. Looks like I'm going to have two clickies!!!! Henry said my light was supposed to ship today so I'm pretty pumped.

Hang in their guys, its definitely worth it

Glad to hear your rotary is shipping. I have been lurking around this forum for a few months since my cheepie $0.99 flashlight left me stranded and I decided to get a big boy flashlight.

The comments on here helped me to choose the rotary, but the wait is killing me...I ordered on May 12.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
Got my rotary and love it. Great light, little disappointed at the anodizing as there are a bunch of silver specs and spots in between the little raises on the body but really nothing too serious.

Ive read as much of this thread as possible but didnt come across this... I was playing with mine the other day and took the silver bezel part off. The light still turns on, except it lights up an enormously wide area as basically the LED is just exposed. I turned it off right away but then thought, boy, that was impressive. Is there a negative to doing this? Has anyone else done it?

balloonshark

Newly Enlightened
AFAIK, there is no discount for HDS lights regardless of store you order it from. I believe that is an agreement between HDS and all the vendors. However, some online stores are offering freebies, i.e. Batteries or holster.

For tactical operations or ease of clicking, the raised tail cap is easier to operate, but the flushed tail cap is not too difficult so you can't go wrong with either. Honestly it is a matter of personal preference. The flushed tail cap allows for tail standing of the light, if that is important to you. Many have claimed that the flushed rubber switch does not really sit flushed against the tail cap and makes tail standing a little difficult (read wobbly) but latest batch of lights from HDS seem to have eliminated this problem. I am not entirely sure about that though, I guess only time will tell if the switch boot will bloat over time of usage.
Thanks for your reply pjandyho :). It's a shame they have fixed pricing. I love a good deal when I can find one LOL.

Is there an advantage in ordering directly from HDS/RA as opposed to ordering from another vendor? Is there a preferred large vendor that provides good customer service and a safe shopping experience. I only have experience with lightjunction and they do not sell HDS lights.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your reply pjandyho :). It's a shame they have fixed pricing. I love a good deal when I can find one LOL.

Is there an advantage in ordering directly from HDS/RA as opposed to ordering from another vendor? Is there a preferred large vendor that provides good customer service and a safe shopping experience. I only have experience with lightjunction and they do not sell HDS lights.

I usually order mine direct from HDS. The shipping for international customers are much more expensive but since I am sharing the shipping with my friend it does not amount to much. You can try ordering from a few dealers who are quite well known and are actively involved in CPF. Going Gear, Illumination Supply, and Thor's Hammer Custom Leather. All of them are reputable dealers here in CPF. Hope that helps.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my rotary and love it. Great light, little disappointed at the anodizing as there are a bunch of silver specs and spots in between the little raises on the body but really nothing too serious.

Ive read as much of this thread as possible but didnt come across this... I was playing with mine the other day and took the silver bezel part off. The light still turns on, except it lights up an enormously wide area as basically the LED is just exposed. I turned it off right away but then thought, boy, that was impressive. Is there a negative to doing this? Has anyone else done it?
The only negative that I know of is that the LED is exposed and you could scratch it or get it dusty. Additionally, this allows dust to get inside the reflector (and its difficult if not impossible to clean a reflector with anything besides air). If the head/reflector isn't attached it obviously isn't water resistant until it is reattached. I haven't taken mine off since I received it from HDS.

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened

All the vendors listed are great, and I have bought lights from all of them. One little point though. I ordered my rotary from Dan "Hogokansatsukan" over at "Thors' Hammer custom leather, and got a nice discount on a custom made leather holster, which, given the lack of clip on the rotaries, makes a holster a viable carry option. I posted a pic of the holster Dan made for me back in post #1331. He gives automatic discounts on his holsters when you buy the light from him, and doesn't mark up the lights in price at all. Just a thought. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.