HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the 250 lumen output lights, what would it step-down to? Looking at the on-line user guide the output table has been replaced with a line graph making it unclear the output levels.
250 steps to approximately 165, then to approximately 110.
the reason is that each light now has 24 light levels starting at a low of .02 then moving up to the lights maximum output.
A graph will be published later with the numbers when time permits.

in case anyone was wondering how I got all this information, i've been friends with Henry since the Novatac days when I was the production supervisor in Tucson before they moved to California, then China, then died a horrible deserved death.
i'm now working with Henry a couple days a week to help catch up on the back orders, and to try and build a stock so that orders will be filled ASAP and Henry can spend more time with R and D and improving on an already great light.
i'll try to answer as many questions as I can here. I'm on a smart phone (smarter than me anyway), so I can check in every once in a while.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogokansatsukan,

Do you ever plan on selling these on your site as a light/holster combo?

How are the 17670 tubes looking?

Ray

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogokansatsukan,

Do you ever plan on selling these on your site as a light/holster combo?

How are the 17670 tubes looking?

Ray
I'm not sure. Since 99% of what I make in leather is pure custom, I offer a substantial discount on a custom holster with the purchase of an HDS light.
I've toyed with the idea of a custom run of HDS lights with Henry and offering them with a leather holster to go with the series, but right now the focus is to get and keep the production delays of the current HDS line to a minimum... Well, to make those delays a thing of the past.
The 17670 tube looks good and will hopefully be in full production soon. If I can keep Henry from having to worry about production, we should be able to see more and better things with HDS in the future.

oh, and there is an interesting Easter egg in the new lights. Let's see who finds it first.:D

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Henry dropped the HCRI (xp-g) model from his website in favor of the neutral one (219b)? I guess the warm emitter wasn't a big hit. I should have picked one up - I have a soft spot for the 3300k xp-g's.
That certainly caught my eye. I guess this is one of the "upgrades" that Henry mention earlier, although I would personally consider going from 3700K, 90+ CRI to 4500K, 85+ CRI to be a downgrade. Glad I got my XP-G high CRI Rotary when I did. I love the tint and color rendering.

Edit: Glad that people who previously ordered the high CRI will still be getting what they wanted instead of being "upgraded" to neutral.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That certainly caught my eye. I guess this is one of the "upgrades" that Henry mention earlier, although I would personally consider going from 3700K, 90+ CRI to 4400K, 85+ CRI to be a downgrade. Glad I got my XP-G high CRI when I did. I love the tint and color rendering.
It's simply a matter of the source for those LEDs drying up. The last batch had such a high failure rate that 9 in 10 had to be rejected. If a reliable source becomes available, we shall see its return.
i do know what you mean though. My edc has been the high CRI until a few months ago when I started beta testing the tactical model.
If anyone is going to be at SHOT, stop by the HDS booth and you can check out the new lights and the 17670 tube.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... don't the emitters come directly from Cree? Or are there middle manufacturers who handle the actual production? Just curious why the high CRI emitters in particular would have such a high failure rate. And when you say failure, do you mean they were non-functional or that they didn't meet the specifications in brightness and color temperature?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogokansatsukan,

First off, thanks for sharing so much information, it's helpful. In regards to the Rotary clip, do you know when they'll be available and if your familiar with them, how do they attach to the light (spring clip, between the head/tube, ect.)? Also with the new lights, what LED is used for the 250 lumen models?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm... don't the emitters come directly from Cree? Or are there middle manufacturers who handle the actual production? Just curious why the high CRI emitters in particular would have such a high failure rate. And when you say failure, do you mean they were non-functional or that they didn't meet the specifications in brightness and color temperature?
they could not pass output and color temp.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogokansatsukan,

First off, thanks for sharing so much information, it's helpful. In regards to the Rotary clip, do you know when they'll be available and if your familiar with them, how do they attach to the light (spring clip, between the head/tube, ect.)? Also with the new lights, what LED is used for the 250 lumen models?
The rotary clip attaches with a band that tightens around the light. In this way, you can put it on the tail or bezel.
the 250 uses an xpg with an R5 bin code.
I know this could change in the future as HDS is focused on the actual specs of the light coming out the front rather than a specific emitter. I'm not even going to try to pretend to know all the idiosyncrasies of the LEDs and bin codes. I leave that to Henry. I know the specific bin has a huge role though on how the led performs.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
The rotary clip attaches with a band that tightens around the light. In this way, you can put it on the tail or bezel.
That actually sounds quite nice and better than one that's held on with spring tension. Hopefully it's more attractive than the infamous MOLLE clips.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That actually sounds quite nice and better than one that's held on with spring tension. Hopefully it's more attractive than the infamous MOLLE clips.
Well, as they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
i've never been a fan of clips since I lost a surefire aviator when they first came out. I lost it the day I bought it. Since then, it's been pocket or holster carry for me.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Looks like BrightGuy has some HDS Rotaries in stock (still says 200 in the title but 250lm in the details)

I was wondering about this myself - it looks like the highest setting is rated at 250, but the lowest still at .08; this is on contrast to the HDS website, which says 250 highest and .02 lowest. Presumably it's the same light, but BrightGuy's page hasn't updated all the details.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering about this myself - it looks like the highest setting is rated at 250, but the lowest still at .08; this is on contrast to the HDS website, which says 250 highest and .02 lowest. Presumably it's the same light, but BrightGuy's page hasn't updated all the details.
That's correct. He has the new lights but needs to update the details.

his shipped priority on Saturday.

jimboutilier

Enlightened
I picked up an "in stock" HDS from them last year and it was a good experience. So just thought I'd share when I got a notification email.

I'm not in the market until I see how the whole rotary clip thing goes. Can't tell from the HDS web site if there was a change to the rotary that allows the use of a new clip or if its something that you can add to an existing rotary or what. Find that aspect very confusing on the site and clearly there is no way to order a separate rotary clip at the moment. If I'm going to order a new Rotary, its going to have a clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.