HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
If the 170s are now going to XP-G, then my new firmware/ACME thread 170 with the GDP is probably kind of rare, being in production for less than a year and significantly hampered by supplier setbacks. Haha! Read it and weep throw-lovers! :nana:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the 170s are now going to XP-G, then my new firmware/ACME thread 170 with the GDP is probably kind of rare, being in production for less than a year and significantly hampered by supplier setbacks. Haha! Read it and weep throw-lovers! :nana:
Haha! I love throw lights but I don't really bother about throw for a small light. So not having one does not bother me. Muahahaha...!

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
Is it just me or is Henry is the only maker that has made it this long in the business selling "one light" per se, I think this speaks volumes about the quality of HDS. And despite the wait does kind of tickle you, and everyone that likes pocket clips learns to tie the constrictor knot really well, its worth it in the end. Btw does anyone have a monkey fist lanyard on their HDS?

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I can ad is, .... I like o-ring's and o-rings're stuck on HDS! .... :naughty:

CIMG2121.jpg

Last edited:

Keyman1

Newly Enlightened
Originally Posted by TheExpert
Btw does anyone have a monkey fist lanyard on their HDS?
I have tied them for myself and my friends/relatives for years.
That is until I lost 2 Novatac 120P's in a row!
I have to attribute their loss to the monkey fists.
I carried the first NT clipped to my belt for a couple of years before adding the monkey fist.
Then, I carried it with the fist on it for about 6 month before losing the light.
I lost the first one getting out of a vehicle.
Well, I liked the light so much I bought another one and immediately put a fist on it.
I didn't have that light but a couple of months before losing it the same way. The monkey fist would catch on something on the way out of the car and the light would lift itself right off my belt and be gone, not good.:shakehead
So, I purchased a Storm :thumbsdow it is a POS.
Absolutely hated it.
So, an HDS was in my future!
Now, so that I don't lose this excellent light; I use a holster and no lanyard.

Snareman

Enlightened
Absolutely hated it.

What was so bad about the Storm?

Mr_Zombie

Newly Enlightened
Agreed. I love Henry's standards (they are they best), but I'm afraid the communication and delays are going to cause problems.

Then I hope Henry conducts himself like he has been walking the walk for a long time. There are new members buying lights from him and they are waiting long periods of time.... I was one of them a few months ago and I was thinking what did I spend all this money for (I hadn't yet owned an HDS)? There have been numerous delays in the past and currently, I hope they are fixed. I think that HDS is the best flashlight available currently and I just want everyone else to think that. I'm worried that HDS reputation is going to get hurt when people have to wait 5 months to get a light that is supposed to be at there door in 3 weeks.

I'm one of those people that you are speaking of. After hours and hours of research, this is the company I decided to go with for my first "expensive" light based upon all of the long time forum members recommendations. Check my post count I have not been active for very long and received tons of info from the community here in the threads (of which I really do appreciate). I am no beginner when it comes to custom work and understand that patients is a virtue. But I am really developing a bad taste in my mouth with HDS. When someone takes my hard earned money and tells me that it is going to be about 4 weeks to recieve my items, I really do expect a little courtesy follow-up if that timeframe is not met. I would have appreciated recieving a email explaing the problems causing the delays. I do think I will wait it out though and find out if all the hype surrounding these flashlights is true, but as for ordering a second one.....

Snareman

Enlightened
I'm one of those people that you are speaking of. After hours and hours of research, this is the company I decided to go with for my first "expensive" light based upon all of the long time forum members recommendations. Check my post count I have not been active for very long and received tons of info from the community here in the threads (of which I really do appreciate). I am no beginner when it comes to custom work and understand that patients is a virtue. But I am really developing a bad taste in my mouth with HDS. When someone takes my hard earned money and tells me that it is going to be about 4 weeks to recieve my items, I really do expect a little courtesy follow-up if that timeframe is not met. I would have appreciated recieving a email explaing the problems causing the delays. I do think I will wait it out though and find out if all the hype surrounding these flashlights is true, but as for ordering a second one.....

I think I would only buy one of these if I could get it from a website like Batterystation that had them in stock. Obviously you can't get a custom one that way though.

dajab77

Newly Enlightened
I've purchased 3 HDS lights over the last two years from three different websites and I've been very pleased with my lights. I did have a issue with the switch on my rotary, called Henry and he took care of the problem within 48 hours. I know that is not what most are concerned about, but, it does tell me he cares about his product and customers. I want to get a Hi CRI but the funds are not there at the moment. Hope everyone gets their lights soon and if you dont mind, let us know on this thread when you receive it and how you like the light.
Thanks

Snareman

Enlightened
I've purchased 3 HDS lights over the last two years from three different websites and I've been very pleased with my lights. I did have a issue with the switch on my rotary, called Henry and he took care of the problem within 48 hours. I know that is not what most are concerned about, but, it does tell me he cares about his product and customers. I want to get a Hi CRI but the funds are not there at the moment. Hope everyone gets their lights soon and if you dont mind, let us know on this thread when you receive it and how you like the light.
Thanks

What kind of problems did you have with the switch?

Imon

Enlightened

Snareman

Enlightened
Unless you tweak these clips somehow I doubt any of them would work on a HDS.
Maybe ... the TA21 clip but the other ones seem very improbable.

Well, I "need" a clip for the light and HDS doesn't offer any. I agree, having tried both the PD20 and PD30, neither is perfect, but both are at least better than nothing. I'm certainly open for any better ideas if anyone has any.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I "need" a clip for the light and HDS doesn't offer any. I agree, having tried both the PD20 and PD30, neither is perfect, but both are at least better than nothing. I'm certainly open for any better ideas if anyone has any.

To make the PD20 clip a better fit. One of the guys drilled a notch where the clip meets the set screw which stops the rotary's rotation to make the clip sit more flush to the body. I bought one myself, but I'm not very confident in it, so I keep the rotary in either of it's holsters (kytex of kydex).

Btw FWIW, unless you seen or own a rotary it's IMO easy to misinterpreted how a HDS clip would or wouldn't work on it. Did I say that right? .... Awh heck you know what I mean!

Btw, I don't know if you're wearing scrubs while carrying your rotary. But the kytex holster is light, clips over the belt or in this case your scrubs (?) and is inexpensive as well. However, I would ad an oring on the body below the rotary's tail cap to keep it from drifting further into the holster, in addition to making it easier to grab.

Last edited:

Snareman

Enlightened
To make the PD20 clip a better fit. One of the guys drilled a notch where the clip meets the set screw which stops the rotary's rotation to make the clip sit more flush to the body. I bought one myself, but I'm not very confident in it, so I keep the rotary in either of it's holsters (kytex of kydex).

Btw FWIW, unless you seen or own a rotary it's IMO easy to misinterpreted how a HDS clip would or wouldn't work on it. Did I say that right? .... Awh heck you know what I mean!

Btw, I don't know if you're wearing scrubs while carrying your rotary. But the kytex holster is light, clips over the belt or in this case your scrubs (?) and is inexpensive as well. However, I would ad an oring on the body below the rotary's tail cap to keep it from drifting further into the holster, in addition to making it easier to grab.

Yea, I can see how that hole might help it sit right over the screw. I think I'm ok with it sitting to the dim side of the screw and only being able to dial down to 5lm or so. I understood what you meant about not understanding the clip before getting the light, no worries :)

With all the stuff I've gotten used to carrying at work (light, large knife [Benchmade 915 Triage], large cell phone [Galaxy Nexus], pen, work cell phone, extra gloves) scrubs stopped working long ago. I wear some form of 5.11 like pants every day as all the pockets come in handy. I usually put my light in my left front pocket.

NOw if I could just figure out some of the programming I'd be all set. I got the momentary on figured out, but can't figure out how to get it to come on to 200lms for the momentary (setting A) and the rotary (setting B) with a short press. The included instructions aren't exactly easy to follow. Or I'm just not very bright. Could very well be the latter.

Snareman

Enlightened
Question for those on the know... So both the momentary on and click on are set to preset B, or whatever the rotary is set at. How do I make momentary set to preset A and click on to preset B? Also, when I turn it on, it turns on to whatever I tured it off from (strobe for instance). I always want it to turn on to preset B, not the last used. Can I do this?

Last edited:

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
I have tied them for myself and my friends/relatives for years.
That is until I lost 2 Novatac 120P's in a row!
I have to attribute their loss to the monkey fists.
I carried the first NT clipped to my belt for a couple of years before adding the monkey fist.
Then, I carried it with the fist on it for about 6 month before losing the light.
I lost the first one getting out of a vehicle.
Well, I liked the light so much I bought another one and immediately put a fist on it.
I didn't have that light but a couple of months before losing it the same way. The monkey fist would catch on something on the way out of the car and the light would lift itself right off my belt and be gone, not good.:shakehead
Absolutely hated it.
I kind of thought this might happen, but since I wear 5.11 stryke pants with the flaps over the back pockets that will help with that, plus I use might light like every hour or so and do a gear check every now and then I dont think that will be a problem. But thank you for your input I must keep that in mind I would hate to loose this one especially with the trit and 5c1 led in it.

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Oveready to see if they are going to do anything......... they said they would either have to drill holes and screw the clip on or come up with a switch from scratch. So I guess we will just have to wait until someone gets the ambition to come up with something. If I was in that kind of market I would be all over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts