HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luciaro

Newly Enlightened
Man, I am glad I ordered mine Jan, 5th! Hopefully I am at the top of the list also.

He must have a nightmarish backlog of orders if he hasn't shipped any lights out for 2 months!?:banghead:

Stupid production shops, I would have my HCRI clicky (and 2 decorative clips) right now if they were able to produce as promised!

I have no problem waiting however, I plan on having this light for many years and putting it to some serious use (camping, backpacking, hiking, and hunting.)
I want the highest quality humanly possible! Also, I have my 170T GDP to tide me over till the HCRI arrives!

Way to go Henry! Thank you for sticking to your guns and having such high standards, making sure we get the best lights possible.

Brandon.

Dear Beandon, i've ordered mine on 13 november:sssh:..but i'm happy if the light will arrive in 2012 and not 2013 :D

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's getting a bit ridiculous.

I ordered a high CRI Rotary on 4th february, knowing about the problems, it is worth waiting for!

Indeed, it's getting ridiculous that apparently no US shop can deliver the requested quality...

Another question though, I read in another thread that there's an airhole in the tailcap now. Is that true and if so, when has this feature been introduced and how is it realized? It would be a huge improvement, at least for the flat button, which sometimes can be bulged enough when enough air is trapped inside the light and it gets hot.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a high CRI Rotary on 4th february, knowing about the problems, it is worth waiting for!

Indeed, it's getting ridiculous that apparently no US shop can deliver the requested quality...

Another question though, I read in another thread that there's an airhole in the tailcap now. Is that true and if so, when has this feature been introduced and how is it realized? It would be a huge improvement, at least for the flat button, which sometimes can be bulged enough when enough air is trapped inside the light and it gets hot.
The air hole you are talking about is not on the tail cap. It is on the threading on the part of the body tube that joins to the head and is just above the O ring. When the head is being screwed in air is released through the hole before the head touches the O ring, when the head touches the O ring the remaining air would be concealed inside.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on man, youre living in denial! :D

By then Henry will be selling you something tougher, brighter, and cooler looking. Its flashaholism, nothing like it! :rock:

When I bought my high CRI HDS Clicky, I told myself that I'd use it for at least 5 years before looking to upgrade.

Three years left...

--flatline

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
Dear HDS owners,

Of those of you who use rechargeable batteries in your HDS lights, (RCR123), it is my understanding from all I have read and researched, that one should remain present when charging lithium ion (for safety).

I am in a predicament in that the HDS light is the only light that has all the features I need and want in a light, but I also don't have the time each day (or even every two or three days) to remain present for the average of 1.5 to 5 hours that I have found is required for charging the RCR123 battery for the HDS light (my schedule is just too demanding, so I need to be able to charge in absence, and return to pick up charged batteries). Primary batteries are just too expensive, for as much as I use a light. Also, I did verify that the LiFePo4 batteries should not be used in HDS lights (these are the ones claimed to be free of potential overcharge/overheat dangers). I have not yet purchased the HDS.

Do any of you have any tips on dealing with such a predicament? Or should I just wait for the pending HDS AA battery tube?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

FaithinGod

Moderators: I know this inquiry does cross over into the battery thread section of CPF, but because my inquiry is specific to HDS lights and their use, I thought it was reasonable for this inquiry to go here. But if you deem that it should be moved into the battery section of CPF, then please do so.

Last edited:

hotlight

Enlightened
faithingod-
you can charge in a ammo can, clay pot, lipo sack, etc. (anything that won't catch on fire and can contain an explosion)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
faithingod-
you can charge in a ammo can, clay pot, lipo sack, etc. (anything that won't catch on fire and can contain an explosion)

Well that comforting to know! ...
Foreheadslap.gif

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest a well-ventilated space with low fire risk. Outside and away from the house, or somewhere you'll hear the poof. I myself am quite lazy about charging, and instead monitor conditions of my batteries.

FaithinGod

Newly Enlightened
hotlight, and AnAppleSnail,

Thank you, those are interesting suggestions.

FaithinGod

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
FaithinGod,

I used to be paranoid about it when I first started using Li-Ion batteries. Although the dangers of explosions are always present when dealing with Li-Ion, I have found that a good charger and reliable batteries with protection plays a very important part when one is going rechargeable. Get a charger that knows when to cut off the charge to prevent overcharging and you should be good to go. If you are worried, you may monitor the charger for a few charges until you are familiar with how it works. Check the temperature on the batteries when charging and make sure it doesn't feel too hot to touch. If it does, something is not right about the charger or the battery. Nowadays I usually leave the batteries in my charger to charge before going to sleep or when I am leaving the house. There are times when I forgot about it and the batteries are left sitting in the charger for two whole days and yet nothing happens. Of course, one should always exercise necessary precautions by leaving the charger in an area whereby there aren't any flammable items lying around.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear HDS owners,

Of those of you who use rechargeable batteries in your HDS lights, (RCR123), it is my understanding from all I have read and researched, that one should remain present when charging lithium ion (for safety).

I am in a predicament in that the HDS light is the only light that has all the features I need and want in a light, but I also don't have the time each day (or even every two or three days) to remain present for the average of 1.5 to 5 hours that I have found is required for charging the RCR123 battery for the HDS light (my schedule is just too demanding, so I need to be able to charge in absence, and return to pick up charged batteries).

I must not be charging my batteries enough, or my Rotary isn't get used a lot. Does anybody charge their batteries every 2-3 days?
I use a rechargeable battery in my Rotary, and carry a spare one. I haven't had any concerns.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The solution is probably to place the charger somewhere, where an exploding battery wouldn't cause a catastrophy.

Some with the required skills built a metal box to place the charger in, charging cells in the basement on the floor where nothing is around could be an option as well, even outide the house, if there's a sheltered place with electricity available.

HDS lights don't run on NiMh or Alkalines. There was an AA body to be made some time ago (died because of quality issues as well), but that was made to be used with the 14500 li-ion cells only, the "danger" of those cells is exactly the same. I hope that another run for AA tubes is planned, but I don't know of any...

I think I need't either add that you should only use protected cells from a good brand and a decent charger, nor that you should study the battery section to learn how to minimize the risk of your li-ion going on a thermal runaway.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Dear HDS owners,

I am in a predicament in that the HDS light is the only light that has all the features I need and want in a light, but I also don't have the time each day (or even every two or three days) to remain present for the average of 1.5 to 5 hours that I have found is required for charging the RCR123 battery for the HDS light (my schedule is just too demanding, so I need to be able to charge in absence, and return to pick up charged batteries). Primary batteries are just too expensive, for as much as I use a light. Also, I did verify that the LiFePo4 batteries should not be used in HDS lights (these are the ones claimed to be free of potential overcharge/overheat dangers). I have not yet purchased the HDS.

Do any of you have any tips on dealing with such a predicament? Or should I just wait for the pending HDS AA battery tube?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

FaithinGod

Moderators: I know this inquiry does cross over into the battery thread section of CPF, but because my inquiry is specific to HDS lights and their use, I thought it was reasonable for this inquiry to go here. But if you deem that it should be moved into the battery section of CPF, then please do so.

Another option, although with some expense, (as most any most anything we enjoy doing usually involves! lol) would be to purchase a good "hobby" charger. Many have adjustable, built in safety timers. If you can afford the time at least once or twice to see how long it takes to fully charge your cells, which obviously will vary depending upon when you choose to recharge, then you can set the timer on the charger to "cut off" after the timer runs down. They're very nice. Once you've figured out your usage habits, the time to fully recharge your cells will remain pretty much the same. So, if you determine it usually takes 2 hrs for your cells to be fully recharged, you can set the timer for say, 140 minutes. After that, the charger stops charging! Sweet! If it turns out the cell wasn't quite done, no harm, no foul. You maybe just lost a little runtime is all. The "plus" is, that a lot of the "hobby" chargers will charge several different chemistries as well. Like NiCD, NiMH, even Pb, or lead acid batteries. Very versatile, and a little piece of mind, knowing that if you forget about putting that RCR123 on charge, it will never get overcharged, because of the safety timer. A cheaper option would be to plug your existing charger into one of those timers people often use with Xmas lights and stuff. Lots of places sell those. Lowes, Home Depot, many others. Again, you need to figure out how long it takes on average, to charge YOUR cells, and set the timer accordingly. I've been using rechargeables in my clickies, and my rotary, since I've had them, and never had any issues. Can it happen? Yes, but it's just not that common, particularly when you don't abuse your cells, drop them, etc, etc.

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
A little HDS Bling

IMG_0011.jpg

The Orange Clicky and one of the Ti's has been upgraded to neutral XMLs

The Black Clicky is a high CRI

IMG_0010.jpg

DSC_1056.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.