HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Wow, five months of waiting. I guess it paid off. I may just jump in the queue if orders gets shipped out on a more regular basis.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a 200T on 11/03 and just got it today. This is my first HDS light, so after more new-run orders go out I'd be interested to know how these units from the new machine shop compare to the ones made just before the switch. It feels a bit lighter than I'd imagined, but pretty nice workmanship.
Given how utterly perfectionistic Henry is, and seeing how he could have compromised on the quality months ago and filled all of his outstanding orders by now, I don't anticipate there being any quality issues with the new batch.

At any rate, it's good hear that he's finally catching up. He must be working long hours right now to get all the work done, but I bet he prefers that to not working at all because of lack of parts. Hopefully I'll be seeing my high CRI Rotary in the next few weeks.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of these days after I get a chance to recover from my G-Shock Frogman and Malkoff Wildcat (which sould be ready in a few weeks) purchases. I think I'm gonna buy another Rotary and have Wayne drop an XP-E in the one I got now!

On second thought, ... I gotta go through that progrrrr, .... Oh forget-about-it!

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also look forward to seeing beamshots and hearing opinions from those that get the new HCRI and have the previous HCRI.

Cree recently updated their datasheet for the XPG and I still can't find any XPG in either 85 or 90 CRI that has a temp of 3700K.
The highest temp they list is 3200K.

Regardless, I'm glad their is progress on Henry's end and that you guys are finally getting your lights.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately I am not getting my high CRI rotary yet. If I did, I would be sure to do some comparison beam shots with my legacy high CRI clicky.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree recently updated their datasheet for the XPG and I still can't find any XPG in either 85 or 90 CRI that has a temp of 3700K. The highest temp they list is 3200K.
It's entirely possible, then, that Henry isn't using Cree emitters in his high CRI lights.

Luciaro

Newly Enlightened
someone of you have received old orders?
Thank you

Arrived...wwwwwooooooowwwwwwww
:whistle:

Last edited:

diesel79

Enlightened
I didnt have any other warm tint lights to compare it to. The warmest lights I have are 4000k Malkoff neutrals, and it was definitley warmer than those. I did end up selling he light to a member on here that was local to me, he mentioned it was the same tint as his Malkoff warm tinted lights and those are said to be in the 3700k tint. I did have buyers remorse and ended up ordering another one today. I dont EDC a light, but I missed the little guy. :)

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
diesel79 said:
I didnt have any other warm tint lights to compare it to. The warmest lights I have are 4000k Malkoff neutrals, and it was definitley warmer than those. I did end up selling he light to a member on here that was local to me, he mentioned it was the same tint as his Malkoff warm tinted lights and those are said to be in the 3700k tint. I did have buyers remorse and ended up ordering another one today. I dont EDC a light, but I missed the little guy. :)

The current m61ws are 3700k and are beautiful! I'll have to start staving. When they become available at dealers then I may have to make a move.

diesel79

Enlightened
Yea, when I bought it I didnt know if I would like that warm of a tint, but it was awesome. Excellent color rendering and beam.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, when I bought it I didnt know if I would like that warm of a tint, but it was awesome. Excellent color rendering and beam.

Compared to your Neutral Malkoff, would say the HDS had a peachy pinkish tint? I tried a Malkoff M61W and didn't care for it too much, but I'm digging the M60N.

diesel79

Enlightened
Yea it was definitely more peachy/warmer in tint, not pink at all though, at least not to my eyes. I really liked it, but it is noticeably warmer than the Malkoff neutrals.

Last edited:

sprinkle

Newly Enlightened
*Edited post - mislabeled photos and put it on here wrong... now fixed*

I received my HCRI Rotary today and did some quick beamshots to show the tint and brightness levels. I don't have a white wall, so I used a piece of white foam core. The lights are approx. 15" away from the board on each of the first series of shots here:

All 5 lights on a low output to somewhat match the Eiger with these settings: f3.5, 1/30 sec, ISO 200, and Fluorescent white balance:
From left HDS Rotary CW, HDS Rotary HCRI, Jetbeam RRT0 modded with a Q2 7B tint High CRI (90+) Emitter (3000K) by csshih, 4Sevens Preon 2 HCRI, and last is a Peak Eiger with Nichia 119-H1 HCRI.
IMG_3041.jpg

Next are the lights individually at the same brightness as above with these settings: f3.5, 1/30 sec, ISO 200, and Fluorescent white balance

HDS CW Rotary:
HDSCWlow1_30.jpg

HDS HCRI Rotary:
Preon2low1_30.jpg

4Sevens Preon 2 HCRI:
PeakEigerlow1_30.jpg

Peak Eiger with Nichia 119-H1 HCRI:
Unfortunately I did not take one at a low brightness
duh2.gif

Jetbeam RRT0 modded with a Q2 7B tint High CRI (90+) Emitter (3000K) by csshih:
ModdedRRT0low1_30.jpg

Next are the lights individually at the their highest brightness with these settings: f3.5, 1/30 sec, ISO 200, and Fluorescent white balance:

HDS CW Rotary:
HDSCWhigh1_30.jpg

HDS HCRI Rotary:
HDSHCRIhigh1_30.jpg

4Sevens Preon 2 HCRI:
Preon2High1_30.jpg

Peak Eiger with Nichia 119-H1 HCRI:
PeakEigerhigh1_30.jpg

Jetbeam RRT0 modded with a Q2 7B tint High CRI (90+) Emitter (3000K) by csshih:
ModdedRRT0high1_30.jpg

It may be hard to tell from these shots but the dark ring in the beam that is noticeable in the CW HDS Rotary is not present in the HCRI. I did not take shots to specifically show this though. I did however take some shots to show that the dark center when the light is close to some is now gone.

Both of these were taken with the light 3" from the foam core (you can see my tape measure):

HDS CW Rotary:
IMG_3065.jpg

HDS HCRI Rotary:
IMG_3066.jpg

Here are some shots showing the LED in each of the HDS lights. As you can see the HCRI is definitely a XP-G:

HDS CW Rotary:
IMG_3073.jpg

HDS HCRI Rotary:
IMG_3074.jpg

One more set of images to show and to be honest is the only ones that really mean anything to me. Some outdoor shots:

Both of the HDS lights with these settings: f1.4, 0.5 sec, ISO 800, and Fluorescent white balance and approximately 50'-0" away from the trees:

Control shot:
IMG_3068.jpg

HDS CW Rotary:
IMG_3069.jpg

HDS HCRI Rotary:
IMG_3071.jpg

My preference on the tints are as follows:
1 - Peak Eiger
2 - HDS HCRI
3 - Modded RRT0
4 - Preon 2
5 - HDS CW

While I like the tint of the Peak Eiger better, the HDS blows it away on brightness and useability.

Looking at the 2 HDS lights I can't see there being a huge increase in brightness. The 200 lumen CW is brighter but not by a lot in real use. I am not sure if it is because of the actual lumens or if the better tint makes me think there is not much of a difference. I was a bit worried about losing 80 lumens when I ordered it but in real use I would never be able to tell the difference unless they were turned on beside each other and even then it is hard to tell.

One thing I am a bit worried about the new HCRI light is the tail is no where near as solid as the CW one I have had for nearly a year now. I can actually grab it and wobble it while the CW one will not move. I can actually hear the grease being compressed when I press in the button on the new HCRI. I actually have another one of the HCRI on order direct from Henry and when it comes in I will compare them. I don't know if this is a bad one, the new standard, or I got a really solid one on my first light.

I hope this is has been some help for someone on here.

Sprinkle

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Yowza! Those pics of the trees are great! Thanks for taking those, that is impressive. The HI CRI looks quite nice. I think people are going to be clamoring for these babies when they are in steady supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.