HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
Sorry if this has already been covered, but did anyone notice that the new circuit boards have "HDS" printed on them. Looks classy and professional.

Lomandor

Enlightened
I just shot him an email alerting him to this. I just noticed mine has it too. Despite the flaking, I think this light is perfect (140 Tactical ACME with GDP).

Cheers, fill us in with the details Tobrien.

d337944

Enlightened
Hey guys, any updates from Henry about the black coating of the bezel coming off? Seems strange, since the coating is supposed to be AlTiN which should not actually "flake off".

I've worn through AlTiN coatings on drill bits before, and the coating just "wears through" without flaking or chipping.

Cheers

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, I posted a while back that my Rotary's low battery indicator doesn't work, no double blinks. Anyone else have the same issue? My Rotary is from a recent batch, received in September.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, any updates from Henry about the black coating of the bezel coming off? Seems strange, since the coating is supposed to be AlTiN which should not actually "flake off".

I've worn through AlTiN coatings on drill bits before, and the coating just "wears through" without flaking or chipping.

Cheers
email henry. he sent me out a replacement bezel same day :) (i'm out of town so it may have already arrived at my home)

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
have y'all noticed any/much difference in runtime on HDS lights with an red AW 16340 versus a good name-brand primary?

I stated "red AW" because his red IMR cells of that size are reported to have longer runtimes than the protected AW 16340 cells.

I realize the AW IMR 16340 cells are, technically speaking by ratings, a little over a third of the rechargeable capacity, but given that we're talking about different nominal voltages here, I'm assuming labelled capacity isn't a good reason to say "X will have better runtimes than Y"

note: i know HDS Systems is rating their runtimes on primaries, but I'm curious how much of a difference we'll see with a rechargeable until low voltage protection trips on the HDS light :)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Best bet for runtime is the CR123, unless the highest level is mostly used. Normal RCR123's should be sufficient in that case. The IMR's are not necessary for the current draw that the HDS pulls. I use CR123's in my HDS's mostly as I am not using the highest output levels regularly.

Bil

Redhat703

Enlightened
I've been using AW IMR 16340 for the Executive 120 Hi CRI and have good run times. I recharge the battery every weekend.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know exactly when HDS will start shipping out Rotary 200 lights?

I've been waiting since Halloween,which is when I placed my order.

Just got off the phone with Henry,and he said Rotary 200 lights won't arrive until possibly after Christmas.
(I'm starting to get a little mad because of the long wait..)

I'm sure I'll enjoy my new light when it finally arrives,I'm just frustrated at the delays and long wait time.

Update:Jan.2,2014..still no HDS Rotary 200 in my mailbox.
This is getting worrisome.(It's been over 2 months so far..)

(Does Henry send you a notice when your light ships out,or will I just have to keep waiting?)

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best bet for runtime is the CR123, unless the highest level is mostly used. Normal RCR123's should be sufficient in that case. The IMR's are not necessary for the current draw that the HDS pulls. I use CR123's in my HDS's mostly as I am not using the highest output levels regularly.

Bil
yeah, that's definitely true about the HDS lights not needing IMR, but according to these guys, AW's IMR 16340s have longer runtimes than the protected AW 16340s. I don't know if anyone has graphs to back those statements up though.

Side note: what current does the HDS 140T pull on high? or, rather, I'm assuming that they all generally pull the same amount of current? any idea what current these EDC lights typically pull?

I've been using AW IMR 16340 for the Executive 120 Hi CRI and have good run times. I recharge the battery every weekend.
Do you use it pretty frequently through the week or know what voltage your IMR 16340 is typically at when you recharge? While I don't have a crazy desire to go with 16340s for my 140T, I definitely need to use up all these primaries sitting around haha

gqlux

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know exactly when HDS will start shipping out Rotary 200 lights?

I've been waiting since Halloween,which is when I placed my order.

Just got off the phone with Henry,and he said Rotary 200 lights won't arrive until possibly after Christmas.
(I'm starting to get a little mad because of the long wait..)

I'm sure I'll enjoy my new light when it finally arrives,I'm just frustrated at the delays and long wait time.

Long wait? I and many others recently waited over a year for our rotaries. Sit tight, by all accounts times have improved.

GQLUX

Last edited:

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
I have a 200 Rotary with both raised button body and flush button body. Light works perfectly when head is screwed onto raised button body. When transferring the head to the flush button body the light works but goes dead on when the threads are nipped tight as they should be.

Any ideas?

If i turn the light on before I fully tighten the head to the body the light stays on but the switch is totally unresponsive to presses. I am sure it is something simple.

Thanks guys,

P

plaguem

Enlightened
Made an interesting discovery with a friend. The Armytek Wizard headset clip works great with the rotary! Rotary function isn't obstructed by the clip, that deep carry part of the clip just lightly pressed on the dail without hurting the anodizing. Is that a peal of cathedral bells I hear? :)

x5it.jpg

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice of him. Probably because for the long wait ?
I only got the standard duracell cr123

No, only a week or so cause it was in for some warranty work. Like yours he sent another back with a Duracell CR123.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Made an interesting discovery with a friend. The Armytek Wizard headset clip works great with the rotary! Rotary function isn't obstructed by the clip, that deep carry part of the clip just lightly pressed on the dail without hurting the anodizing. Is that a peal of cathedral bells I hear? :)

x5it.jpg

Not sure bout bells, but could be these guys ...

Bet someone gonna say, ... "Nice, BUT it ain't black"! .... :nana:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.