HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 250 lumen output lights have the XPG r5 emitters, isn't that the same bin that was being shipped with the recent 200 lumen models? If so are the higher lumen output lights driven harder then the previous lights?
No. The 200 lumen lights are a different bin.

HighLumens

Enlightened
No. The 200 lumen lights are a different bin.

May I ask you to confirm that it is an XP-G and not an XP-G2?

I'm asking this because other 1*CR123 lights have more or less the same output and runtime and use an XP-G2 R5 (which should be between 15%-20% more efficient at the same bin than the XP-G).

Also, can we find the Easter egg you referred to a couple posts ago in the manual or do we have to have the light in our hands to find it?

Thank you for all your kind replies.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
A HDS Titanium Rotary 250...would have me whipping out my debit card in an instant.

(Hopefully it wouldn't be $500..)

Last edited:

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
A HDS Titanium Rotary 250...would have me whipping out my debit card in an instant.

It seems that making a light with titanium always seems to double or triple the price. I guess titanium is a more expensive metal.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I didn't think Henry did upgrades except for the special edition titanium Clicky's released several years ago, but then those sold for $499 each.

It seems that making a light with titanium always seems to double or triple the price. I guess titanium is a more expensive metal.

I'm fairly sure the original release price of the Ti Ra Clicky was $650, IIRC ... :eek:

EDIT - Yep, link here ...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...we-have-here&p=3032713&viewfull=1#post3032713

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I ask you to confirm that it is an XP-G and not an XP-G2?

I'm asking this because other 1*CR123 lights have more or less the same output and runtime and use an XP-G2 R5 (which should be between 15%-20% more efficient at the same bin than the XP-G).

Also, can we find the Easter egg you referred to a couple posts ago in the manual or do we have to have the light in our hands to find it?

Thank you for all your kind replies.

you are correct on the LED. Henry does not like to state which LEDs are being used in which lights. It is the output and efficiency that he focuses on. That's why there is never a mention of the LED. I can say, he never drives the LEDs harder than they should be. Honestly, it is pretty amazing the equipment Henry uses, and has built to program and calibrate these lights. It makes it much easier to tell if an LED is being driven hard, in which case that LED goes into the scrap bin. There is quite a variance between the same bin and lot of LEDs.

The Easter egg is not in the manual. You have to find it with the light in hand. Henry said I should not have mentioned the Easter egg, but I guess I'm a little proud of it. It was developed one night over pizza and beer. Well, I had the crazy idea, and Henry implemented it. Obviously, it's not exactly a very useful mode, but I've never seen the mode in another flashlight before, perhaps because of its lack of usefulness. It is pretty cool though.

well, all the way to shot show and I'm stuck in the hotel with a bad cold that came on last night. Not exactly how I envisioned this turning out. so, I'm stuck in the hotel room, and the brains of the outfit is now at the booth. You see, I'm not all that smart. When you guys have a question, I just turn and ask Henry, and then type. I know a fair bit about the production though. in fact, someone asked yesterday why Henry's lights weren't being copied by, let's say a far east country. The answer is actually quite easy. Every single light must be programmed and calibrated. Programming the light with the computer isn't all that time-consuming, but calibrating each light requires a unit similar to an integrating sphere that also measures current and voltage and temperature. There is an unbelievable amount of research and development that has led to these lights, and Henry is always trying to improve upon the design.

I don't know if you guys remember, but a few years ago Henry gave me some lights to go out and shoot. Yes, with firearms. When Henry makes a new light, he tries to break it. If he succeeds in breaking it, he does a flashlight autopsy to figure out what failed, then re-engineers that part for the next line of lights.

as for titanium rotaries, there is a high possibility sometime in 2014. Most likely the later half or fourth quarter. It's on the agenda but won't come soon.

Oh, and the 17670 tubes will hopefully be done quite soon. They are in production, but we will have to check to make sure they pass muster before they go up for sale.

Fir3

Newly Enlightened
as for titanium rotaries, there is a high possibility sometime in 2014. Most likely the later half or fourth quarter. It's on the agenda but won't come soon.

That's great news! Thanks for the info. I'll be keeping a close eye out for those ;)

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto, great video, but would it be better to say the two clockwise settings will always be momentary "from off". If you are on medium and want high, you can rotate clockwise and grab the momentary brightness as a constant on brightness, just so long as you came on in one of the two counter clockwise settings first. Turn off, and you will only get a momentary high unless you go back to a counter clockwise position to turn on again. Am I getting it?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes, thank you for the video: you've done a great job of explaining the new UI in a very clear way. In particular I can see now how each of the four positions can still be programmed to any setting.

I'll probably stick with the standard rotary, but this is a great combination of functions for those that need a pure momentary.

Hope you're feeling better soon and can enjoy the rest of the show !

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto, great video, but would it be better to say the two clockwise settings will always be momentary "from off". If you are on medium and want high, you can rotate clockwise and grab the momentary brightness as a constant on brightness, just so long as you came on in one of the two counter clockwise settings first. Turn off, and you will only get a momentary high unless you go back to a counter clockwise position to turn on again. Am I getting it?

You got it. Yes, it would have been best to say that the two clockwise settings are momentary from off.
it's a pretty cool interface. Really, it no is a multi function like that can actually be used in a true tactical way. Very simple to set it up for either strobe or full and have it be momentary only with a dead man switch.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You Very Much .
Can u plz show us the rotary clip .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I would love to show it to you, however we forgot it back in Tucson. It was the one item we forgot to bring. When I get back, I'll try to get a picture of it and post it here.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've studied the site a bit more, and I am not getting the same impression that others did, that the clicky was going away. I thought it would be a shame to lose the base, simple model with the click interface only. Not that the rotary is not cool, as well as the new tactical that uses it also, but the clicky without it is simpler (and less expensive), as well as more than up to the tasks I put the light through.

So what I see is the clicky still in the PDF manual, with the max output updated to 250 lumens. Does this mean it is still alive and well?

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great video on the interface. But it seems that with all the tailcap twisting, the previous clips will not work with it.
Am I correct or just seeing it wrong ?

Thanks!

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great video on the interface. But it seems that with all the tailcap twisting, the previous clips will not work with it.
Am I correct or just seeing it wrong ?

Thanks!
I think the tailcap is externally the same as on the rotary, it just performs a slightly different function.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the tailcap is externally the same as on the rotary, it just performs a slightly different function.

Thanks. Just rewatched the video on my PC instead of my iphone, and your right, they do look the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.