HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh ya. If anyone gets a clicky, I Highly recommend the Ti clip from Dark sucks. UT stocks them. It's a great clip.
I bought a clicky on CPFMP and the seller was cool enough to include a darksucks TI clip with the light.

Very nice clip, i Love Ti, and it looks even cooler after a hit with a blowtorch to colour it.
i am going to try stonewashing it and then splash anodising with 9V batteries, one day.

euthymic

Newly Enlightened
Oh ya. If anyone gets a clicky, I Highly recommend the Ti clip from Dark sucks. UT stocks them. It's a great clip.
I've got to agree! Although I finally got used to the the "pinch" technique that works with the stock clip, sticking on the Dark Sucks clip and having my HiCRI clicky easily clip into pockets with no extra work is a real joy. I also just received my first rotary (neutral 170) and am loving the interface. The obviousness of the dial and the ease of making adjustments while holding the light in either a "tactical" or "hand shake" grip makes the magnetic control ring on my sunwayman v10/11's seem hard to find and non-intuitive. Great design all around all around!

redryder

Enlightened
Anyone know for sure what led is in the 140 lumen hcri that UT has for sale?

UT emailed me : "The website description is correct.140 lumen High CRI Cree LED. 93 CRI and 3700K. Same type of LED that was in the 120 lumen HCRI.Henry found a group of LED's that all specced at 140 lumens."

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. So there's a very limited batch of 140 lumens XP-G 3700k HCRI. Congrats on those who got one.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Unscrew bezel.

Measure back .330 from end. This puts you in the middle of the 'shelf' the emitter sits on.

The shelf is .160 thick.

Drill and tap a 440 threaded hole to .185

Do not hit one of the 5 holes through the shelf.

rotary2.JPG

turbodog

Flashaholic
Also,

The pic above is my 200 rotary. My new 250 arrived the other day and I need a clip for it.

Anyone got a lead on where I can get another ti clip like is in the photo?

If so, please PM.

Thanks!

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
Another thing about the new Tactical light. As you may have remembered from around January, the Tactical had 4 light settings in the rotation of the dial. Now, instead of there being 2 light settings in the first half of the rotation going clockwise , the light will ramp in brightness like a standard Rotary except there are 12 light settings in the first half that are double steps. Just another thing Henry did to improve it since January.

When the lights are calibrated, all levels are calibrated. It's a pretty simple process, or I wouldn't be doing it, as Henry made the calibration machine (not a simple process). I can see on the calibrator what each of the first 6 light levels are on each light, and it gives me an idea of how efficient each light is at each one of those levels. (I know. I am using "each" too much. Try to just ignore that.)
As an example, let's take a 170 Neutral. I harness that head into the calibrator and hit start(well, I actually have to tell the calibrator what type of light it's going to be, what LED it is, what color the bezel is (I'm not kidding) and how many max lumens I want the light to hit, the calibrator then ramps power up giving the light the prescribed amount of juice (33% lime 66% rum... oops. Off topic) and it measures the lumen output and temperature of the head. Now, many of the 170 Neutral lights would ramp right up to a lumen rating of 185 or higher, and some would go to 172, etc. etc. The calibrator then adjusts the power for that level so it hits 170. It goes through all the levels of the light doing the same thing, adjusting and tweaking the little flashlight brain for each level and the current needed at that level. Several factors can effect the output such as a black vs. silver bezel, a different reflector, and just a stubborn LED that wasn't paying attention in school. If a light does not make "the grade", generally the first thing we do is try a new reflector, and try again. If it still doesn't make the grade after that, the light is sent to the corner for a time out then sent to the principles office being expelled from the group. It might get a LEDbotomy as well having it's current LED scrambled and a new one put in to try again later.
It's quite an interesting process (well, not so much after doing it several hundred times). It is surprising the amount of variation in the same bin of LEDs. Some of the neutral 170's could hit 200 lumens, but are calibrated to 170, thus using less power at 170 and running longer i.e. a much more efficient LED and flashlight. Now, most wouldn't make that 200 lumen output on the Neutral, so 170 is where Henry has set it. Same with each of the various lights you get from HDS. It's balancing act between max lumens and fall out rate for a particular LED.

Does the Exec Rotary have more "clicks" or "stops" giving it a wider or perhaps finer control of the light output?

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finer steps, yes. There are no clicks or stops, other than the two ends. But the Executive Rotary has 24 levels, where the Tactical will have 12. I think this is needed because it is putting it's ramping feature in 1/2 of the dial travel, which only has 12 available settings. The Executive goes from min to max across the entire dial travel, so 24 settings to use for the ramping. I think this a great improvement, making the Tactical attractive to a much wider audience, without hurting it's intended functions for LE use.

eff

Enlightened
UT emailed me : "The website description is correct.140 lumen High CRI Cree LED. 93 CRI and 3700K. Same type of LED that was in the 120 lumen HCRI.Henry found a group of LED's that all specced at 140 lumens."

Thanks for the information. I was a bit tempted to buy one, but I already have the 120 lumen model. And a 20 lumen increase is not a good enough reason to get another one :rolleyes:

Mbehe87

Newly Enlightened
I think this a great improvement, making the Tactical attractive to a much wider audience, without hurting it's intended functions for LE use.

I agree. The lack of "rotary brightness control" on the original Tactical Rotary is what kept me from purchasing. I really like the way it is implemented in the new version (thanks for the video, Hogo). If I get one, I will probably switch the two momentary modes that are programmed by default. That way, when you are ramping up the brightness in the first half of the dial, when you ramp too far and overshoot the highest mode of the ramp, you won't jump right into strobe by accident, you would just be on High. Then strobe would be at the full clockwise position.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finer steps, yes. There are no clicks or stops, other than the two ends. But the Executive Rotary has 24 levels, where the Tactical will have 12. I think this is needed because it is putting it's ramping feature in 1/2 of the dial travel, which only has 12 available settings. The Executive goes from min to max across the entire dial travel, so 24 settings to use for the ramping. I think this a great improvement, making the Tactical attractive to a much wider audience, without hurting it's intended functions for LE use.

Exactly. They are spaced pretty nicely and is a big improvement from the first tactical rotary we had a SHOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.