HDS Systems EDC # 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Current HDS lights will not be obsolete in the future unless they stop making 123A batteries.
I do want my HDS lights, and other lights, to last me a lifetime even if there will be more advanced lights available.
I may not use my current HDS for the rest of my life, but when I replace it in 10-years, it won't be because it broke when I dropped it. That's why I happily paid a premium for it. You get what you pay for.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a day of owning and lightly using the Rotary and Tactical I have to say that I am very pleased and impressed with my purchase. It would appear that my EDC Clicky could only be knocked from my usual daily pocket carry by other HDS lights.

I cannot wait to see what else Henry is working on. :D

Vlk

Banned
There are those who already received their 250 clicky and rotary lights. Why don't you tell us your initial impressions including comparisons with the other HDS lights?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was ready to pull the trigger on an HDS when they resolved their supply/delivery problems. The CR123/16340 format is not to my liking, but the sub-lumen capability and full programability on an EDC light is. Unfortunately, the price increase has tipped the light into a range that I will not be willing to compromise on my preference anymore. If Henry ever decides to build a broad voltage AA/CRAA/14500 light, I will probably buy one.

euthymic

Newly Enlightened
Back to the issue of pocket clips, and clips for the rotary for the moment.
Does anyone know how the bezel/lens assembly is put together? I'm aware that you can purchase bezel's, reflector's, and lens' separately but before I go twisting and pulling I figured I would just ask here.
As I was searching around for a few clip pics, I saw that the original Moddoo clip looks like it was designed for bezel up carry (or at least that is the picture on the buy/sell/trade listing). So I grabbed one of my Dark Sucks clips, unscrewed the bezel from my rotary and I am left with this "thought experiment"

Of course, you can't use it like this as it screws up the distance between the reflector and the LED (giving a terrible beam) as well as destroying waterproofing.... But....
if one can separate the bezel, and make a shallow groove on the bottom using a lathe, it seems like it would be pretty trivial to arrive at a more secure version of the above pic. Since bezel's from henery are cheap, you could even go back to the original if you wanted.
So can someone tell me how to disassemble the bezel/lens/reflector so I can try this out?
Thanks again

Vlk

Banned
The difference between average and high quality is in the details. Each additional detail adds cost at an exponential rate usually. For many if not most, the added attention to detail does not justify the price increase and that is understandable. For those that appreciate, need, or rely on the attention to detail, it's worth it.

I just received my rotary 250 today. I really appreciate the attention to detail. It is what sets it apart from so many other lights.

oh and Vlk, I like your idea of a NICE set. There should be more of that type of stuff. And not just cheapo "holiday sets"

Once, out of curiosity I showed my HDS and Surefire E1B lights at the same time to someone who couldn't care less about flashlights but can appreciate quality and asked, both light were off, - Which one, do you think, is higher quality?- . That person took them in her hands and said - SureFire is very good/excellent quality but HDS is definitely higher quality-.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo, Ouch! Hope you heal up fast. I always tell the doc to take away the pain but leave the swelling. What is the second from left hide? Beautiful!

Second from left is what I call "dragon scales". Each one is hand stamped into the leather.

Just an idea. What I would like to see is a limited edition gentleman's set containing HDS 250 clicky titanium and Chris Reeve Knives Small Sebenza knife …. Oh, yes, and Hogo would contribute with stingray holsters. $999.99. Five hundred sets.

I've done quite a few stingray holsters. PITA to make but for natural material, nothing beats it. Very tough stuff.

So can someone tell me how to disassemble the bezel/lens/reflector so I can try this out?
Thanks again

The bezel screws into the reflector assembly, which in turn, screws into the flashlight. I'd take some pics but I just got home from Henry's and am leaving town tomorrow for a few days. If no one gets pics of this by the time I get back, I'll see if I can help you out.

Well... Back from Henry's and over 450 lights have shipped in the last few days. Still some more to go, but those will have to wait until next week.
I guess since the back orders are nearly done, I don't have to keep posting updates...

Unless you would like to hear about the Rotary clips I got to see today? Naaaaaaa. You don't want to hear about those. Well, I'll tell you anyway.
If you recall, I didn't much care for the first prototype I saw. Well, I'm more impressed now. They should be available in about 8 weeks (I'm exaggerating because if you think 8 you will be happy if it happens in 6.) They consist of a small band that can go around the head or tail, that tensions on with a screw, however the screw does not touch and muck up your light. Very clever design. You can also place it where you want on the head or tail and adjust it to your preference. I'm probably doing a lousy job describing it, but you really should be carrying your HDS in a leather holster anyway. I'll post more as I find out more and even try to get a picture or two if I can.

So that's it for the updates...

I did see a box of Cerakoted tails, battery tubes, and heads that the UPS guy delivered while I was there. I saw...
Blaze orange
Hot pink
Zombie green
Bronze (looked very very cool but not a match for my Sig Sauer Spartan which is good as that will save me some money)
Purple
Olive drab
and the official Magpul Flat Dark Earth.

They all looked great. Henry said there will be pictures on the website but it will take some time. If I can sneak a picture next week, with Henry's permission, I'll post it. They will be in the Custom section of the HDS website when they are ready to be built and sold.

Too tired for rum as I'm off way too early tomorrow headed to Phoenix for the weekend.

Hogo out.

gunga

Flashaholic
Clip sounds interesting Hogo. I wonder how one does bezel down carry. The clip may get in the way of the rotary? Does it rotate with the tail (and hence scrape up your light)?

Sent from my iPod touch using Candlepowerforums

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was ready to pull the trigger on an HDS when they resolved their supply/delivery problems. The CR123/16340 format is not to my liking, but the sub-lumen capability and full programability on an EDC light is. Unfortunately, the price increase has tipped the light into a range that I will not be willing to compromise on my preference anymore. If Henry ever decides to build a broad voltage AA/CRAA/14500 light, I will probably buy one.

I too prefer AA compatibility. My guess that he sticks with CR123A cells, is because he can better manage consistent output and regulation. With the greater variability of AA voltage and amperage, he'd might have a tough time handling them as well as CR123A.

A light that only accepts CR123A is rather useless to me. Spending over $2 per cell for a EDC light is a non-starter. I'd be forced to use a rechargeable variant, which I understand doesn't have nearly the energy capacity. (Though, if I had the money to blow on a HDC light, I probably also have lots of money to blow on batteries.)

If he can build a AA light, I say go for it. I certainly won't be a buyer at his prices (and the international shipping costs he charges, which is more than what most of my good lights cost!), but maybe some people will.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the latest update, Hogo/Dan/Thor! :thumbsup:

Definitely can't go wrong with Rotary clips, Titanium and Cerakote... :D

eff

Enlightened
Just a dumb idea, but maybe Henry should work with both manufacturers : the reliable one w/ the high prices, and the unreliable one with lower prices.
- With the parts from the reliable manufacturer, he would built the high end rotaries, clickies and tacticals at 250, 200 and 170 lumen (cool and neutral tint) keeping the prices at 250+$ for those models.
- With the parts from the unreliable manufacturer w/ lower fees, he would built entry level lights at 120/140 lumen and keep some low prices beginning at 99+$, like he's done with the previous version before

That way he would be able to continuously produce lights without any supply issues for the high end products. And the entry level ones would be produced when the parts from unreliable manufacturer would be available.
He would solve his supply issues, while keeping a part of his fanbase with decent prices.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
- With the parts from the unreliable manufacturer w/ lower fees, he would built entry level lights at 120/140 lumen and keep some low prices beginning at 99+$, like he's done with the previous version before

Is there much of a market for 120 lumen lights at $100? While I don't think it's necessary to play the lumen war, he at least has to keep up to a reasonable level.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
An option would be to not take pre-orders for those lower model. He can have an in stock section for those models whenever parts are available. Would it be worth it? Time and hassle to deal with those unreliable parts. Have to inspect part by part, then reject, etc. Dealing with those vendors may result in unwanted stress.

scout24

Flashaholic
Agreed. There are plenty of decent $100.00 lights out there, and used HDS products show up routinely on the Marketplace for those who want them. Still with Henry's warranty, I might add... :)

There was outcry amongst the faithful when Don decided to concentrate solely on Ti lights. Also when Data made the same decision with the 007. Choices to produce only a premium product made by the principals of each company for lack of a better word. Henry choosing to put out a premium product without supply issues is certainly his decision, and probably won't hurt his business when people realize they are purchasing an in-stock product for quick delivery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.