HDS Systems EDC # 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's funny how similar 170 lumens is to 300+ lumens. I understand the physics and biology of it but seeing is believing.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm back. Took a week off and just caught up on the thread. Looks like everything has been answered.

Dare I say.... no. I don't. I'll check with Henry and see if I can. New product. Maybe available in 2014 and going back to Henry's roots. Only on paper... well, computer now... and I need one!

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Henry + Hogo = :twak:

Also,
Was wondering where you been. Your the HDS thread Captain! If you take a vakay we need a second in command! Although we didn't do to bad in your absence, and there have been no casualties to report, so all is well....... Just no more Rum for awhile.... We could have run ashore and the poop decks need tending!

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I'm hearing, there isn't much difference in 325 XPL versions and XPG2 250's in the throw department. 250's have the tighter hotspot, obviously...but XPL contends with its extra lumens.
I have a couple old Golden Dragon HDS's. I don't remember ever comparing them with my 250 rotary. I know I've always thought the GD's were throwy, but the 250 has a little more umph.....so?!? I'll compare them sometime and see what I see... see?

Man.... a 325 with GD beam would be my ultimate dream light.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny how similar 170 lumens is to 300+ lumens. I understand the physics and biology of it but seeing is believing.

^^ Auto white balance camera or smartphone?

Smart phone and very close to what my eyes see.

If you are using a smart phone then you can't use these for comparison in brightness. I can guarantee you that in a closed in space like that stairway 300+ lumens is much brighter than 170. You need to have manual exposure control set the exact same for each of the shots or else autoexposure will overcompensate.

chuckhov

Enlightened
He's right about the manual exposure control, ya know.

The smart phone does an excellent job of making them both look the 'proper' brightness, but what we are attempting to see is not that, but the difference.

Nice pics though!

Thanks,
-Chuck

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Driving me nuts deciding whether to get a 325 or wait for another run of neutral XP-L

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is kinda why I didn't want to do beam shots...... it's very subjective depending on what it's shot with and the skill set of the photographer.

Thats said, It's an HDS.

Buy One.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the pictures and you see the larger hotspot of the XP-L. The lights were pointed at the landing below. These were merely to show color differences and rendering, not overall lumen output.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Backtracking a bit on my last statement but......

I really would love to see a side by side / 250 vs 325 in the interest of THROW.

Nobody has both and a camera?

Erroneous! Erroneous on both counts!

:candle:

Last edited:

Trip Miller

Enlightened
Yeah I stink at photography but know enough from taking a lot of pics for everything from ebay to the forum that my cell phone (I use it 95% for all my pics) always auto adjusts everything to the point that it almost does not matter how I set up light on the subject.

The other observation I would have is the sheer amount of light bouncing off the walls in the stairwell probably makes them all look much closer to one another in brightness I would assume....but I am glad to see someone actually take the time to take some shots and post them, so thanks KDM.

There are some pretty damn good photographers on the forum it seems and there were some posts not too long ago about "how to" set up your camera to take pretty decent shots...Chump you sound like just the guy for that... :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have a good camera. Send me a 250, 325, 170, and 140 and I'll take the pics...and keep the toys! LOL

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some pretty damn good photographers on the forum it seems and there were some posts not too long ago about "how to" set up your camera to take pretty decent shots...Chump you sound like just the guy for that... :)

For some reason, my brain is not registering what you're saying. Im sure it's obvious, but I can't seem to grasp it. :thinking::stupid:

:hahaha:

I have a good camera. Send me a 250, 325, 170, and 140 and I'll take the pics...and keep the toys! LOL

Come to think of it...Who has most, if not all of these lights and a camera...

Hogo!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason, my brain is not registering what you're saying. Im sure it's obvious, but I can't seem to grasp it. :thinking::stupid:

:hahaha:

Come to think of it...Who has most, if not all of these lights and a camera...

Hogo!

I actually don't have a 325. I've been using my 170 FDE Cerakote the most, and I have a 250 that sort of got retired. I've got 2 of the 140 neutrals, but they are in the packages waiting for buyers so I won't take them out.
I just couldn't pull the trigger on a 325 with the 4000k coming... well, and the MUTT needed a stereo so I can play 60's and 70's rock and roll while driving through the desert.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually don't have a 325. I've been using my 170 FDE Cerakote the most, and I have a 250 that sort of got retired. I've got 2 of the 140 neutrals, but they are in the packages waiting for buyers so I won't take them out.
I just couldn't pull the trigger on a 325 with the 4000k coming... well, and the MUTT needed a stereo so I can play 60's and 70's rock and roll while driving through the desert.

If you had to guess, or from what you have seen, what would be the throwyist?

:popcorn:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read many times that the GDs out throw the 200s by a significant margin, while the 250s out perform the 200s by a small degree.

Die size is more important to throw than lumens, so my unscientific ranking from less to most throw would be:

170 Neutral 219 or 120 High CRI XP-G
325 XP-L
200 XP-G2
250 XP-G2
140 Golden Dragon

If anybody wants to send me one of each, I'd happily take lux measurements at whatever distance requested. :)

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've read many times that the GDs out throw the 200s by a significant margin, while the 250s out perform the 200s by a small degree.

Die size is more important to throw than lumens, so my unscientific ranking from less to most throw would be:

325 XP-L
200 XP-G2
250 XP-G2
140 Golden Dragon

If anybody wants to send me one of each, I'd happily take lux measurements at whatever distance requested. :)

:twothumbs A+ for effort!

Last edited:

Maxbelg

Enlightened

325 XP-L
200 XP-G2
250 XP-G2
140 Golden Dragon

I have a 140 GDP and a 250 XP-G2 (and a few others but not the 325).
My 250 XP-G2 out-throws my 140 GDP and the 140 GDP out-throws my 2 self-modded Nichia 219A Clickies (one is Ti). Interestingly I have a 120 High CRI which out-throws my 140 but not my 250. I'm sure this is due to the particular reflector LED combination. So my ranking is:

Nichia 219 Ti
Nichia 219
140 GDP
120 High CRI
250 XPG2

I'm also interested in the throw of the 325 compared to the 250 but don't have one (not even a modded one) as I generally prefer a less intense spill.

Status
Not open for further replies.