HDS Systems EDC # 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question on the Rotary models...

IIRC the rubber boot is not user serviceable on the rotaries, is that correct?

If true, how do you all deal with replacing the button when it wears out?

Just curious as I'm considering a rotary some day... I have the 325L clicky model for 11 months now and have worn the boot on mine a bit. I do know how to replace the button with no issue on the clicky, but am concerned if I get a rotary I'll wear it out too fast.

A few thoughts:

1. Henry warranties that sort of stuff, so you don't have to worry about it at all if you don't want to.

2. I find that I use the button a lot less often on the Rotary than a Clicky light. After all, most any "mode changes" are accomplished by rotating the tail, which doesn't wear the button at all.

3. While its not designed to be user serviceable, its still possible. There's a very detailed teardown in one of the earlier threads, maybe somewhere around 16 or 17? Sorry I don't have time to dig it out right now, but its back there somewhere. Its definitely more of a job than swapping a clicky boot, but its not an impossible task to DIY.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, that's the one I was thinking of. Thanks guys for digging it out. As far as I know the only difference is the addition of a small black rubber "cap" that fills the little hole that retaining wire threads out of/in to. I could be completely wrong though, of course :)

nbp

Flashaholic
If you manage to wear through a Rotary button I'd just send it to Henry to replace. I'm certain he will take care of it. He sent me a couple buttons for Clickies I had that developed cracks in the boots a while back.

Flipflops

Newly Enlightened
Will unscrewing my bezel about 1/8 of a turn hurt my HDS rotary? That is, will it impact the water-resistance, or cause any other trouble? The reason I ask is that when the bezel is tightened down, I can see a crescent shaped artifact in the center of the beam; however, if I unscrew the bezel a little, it disappears (the pattern looks smooth and beautiful). Thanks, Flipflops

Update: I decided to "fix" the artifact by replacing the standard reflector with the flood reflector. It definitely solved the problem. The flood reflector is really very nice.

Robe

Enlightened
I'm constantly reminded how great the rotary is. Getting home after dark, my wife asked me to install the storage box on top of the van. We live rural so there's very little light. I used the rotary. Bounce light inside for general light but when I fed the bolts through the holes, I had to turn down the light when I flipped it over.

It's so useful to be able to effortlessly move the light up and down in brightness. And unlike stepped settings in most other lights you just slide it around until it looks right.

Man I love this light.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you manage to wear through a Rotary button I'd just send it to Henry to replace. I'm certain he will take care of it. He sent me a couple buttons for Clickies I had that developed cracks in the boots a while back.

Wearing through shouldn't be a concern, but cracking has been an issue for me. My HDS clicky doesn't get much use compared to other lights, yet I've replaced the flat boot due to cracking twice. Oddly, I don't recall ever having to replace the switch boot on any other lights except really old (30+ year) Maglites. This is what keeps me from considering a rotary--due to my personal experience with the boot I consider it to be the Achilles' heel and it must be reasonably user-serviceable.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah once you own a Rotary most of your other lights feel pretty primitive in regards to UI.

I'm constantly reminded how great the rotary is. Getting home after dark, my wife asked me to install the storage box on top of the van. We live rural so there's very little light. I used the rotary. Bounce light inside for general light but when I fed the bolts through the holes, I had to turn down the light when I flipped it over.

It's so useful to be able to effortlessly move the light up and down in brightness. And unlike stepped settings in most other lights you just slide it around until it looks right.

Man I love this light.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You must have some storage issue maybe, some chemicals or other stuff?

Is this comment in response to mine? My HDS is stored in a temperature and humidity-controlled environment and used the same as all of the other 150+ lights I've owned over the years I've been collecting. If your assumptions were correct, I'd have issues with not only the other lights but all of the other knives and tools I collect.

Last edited:

Lithium466

Enlightened
Well, it's strange then, and also bad luck.
I never had real issues with HDS boots, neither my "HDS collection" that is stored in a Pelican case with humidity absorber pads, nor my "HDS in use" lights, and that includes some early HDS like the basic 60LE I received recently, that came with the first gen battery compartment (from 2004-2005?).

I had to replace boots due to wear, but I consider that pretty normal. One thing that I noticed is the boot has a tendency of softening with moisture, and becoming a bit sticky sometimes. The HDS boots are the only one I've seen that are made in this sort of rubber.
Many lights use silicone boots, maybe less wear resistant but probably also less environment/temperature sensitive, that's why I was asking about storage (and no, I wasn't implicating some sort of hardcore bad storage condition, but maybe chemical "contaminated" boxes or cabinet...like some wooden appliance that can release some vapors for years, or plastic boxes, or some cleaning products, etc, things you normally don't even realize they can have some effects, until one day you find (real story) your Logitech mouse's rubber all sticky and soft after having been stored in a wooden drawer for a few days :laughing:).

I've discussed a bit the boot "issue" with Henry a few years ago, and he said that from the exact same batch, same mold, same material from same manufacturer, some boots cracked, and other resist for years, and he was clueless why. Interestingly, raised boots appear to be more resistant (I personally only have one light with raised boots, so can't comment).

Apart from that, I also do wish that the rotary boot was more user friendly to replace (it is still doable with a bit of perseverance), or made from an even more resistant material (they do some pretty resistant gasket for the industry). But I don't think HDS will consider changing the material for now.

On a different note, I received an EDC basic 60LE from the marketplace (err sorry, the mall), that was immediately put into good use! Water damage at home, pretty much all electrical stuff were dead until today, and the HDSs were very useful (dare I say, life saving?) I wanted to put a picture but it seems my mobile phone camera wasn't waterproof, sorry :/

Flipflops

Newly Enlightened
I also do wish that the rotary boot was more user friendly to replace (it is still doable with a bit of perseverance)

I have purchased both flush and raised button versions of the rotary and would like to make them both have raised buttons. Can anyone tell me how to perform a button swap on a rotary? That is, do I need to remove the tail cap, or is it possible to replace the boot through the hole for the button (hopefully that makes sense). Thank you.

Lithium466

Enlightened
Here's the link to the post from SOYCD

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...stems-EDC-18&p=4488338&viewfull=1#post4488338

The trick to put it back easily is to get the right amount of grease in the o-rings grooves, so the o-rings stick where they belong :)
(you can also take the chance to experiment with various lubricant to get the rotary feel you prefer, the original grease becomes very stiff when it's cold)

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's strange then, and also bad luck.

If Henry admits that some of his boots crack, as mine have, and considering I've had great success with the boots on many other lights that see much more use than my HDS then no, I don't consider it just bad luck.

I could replace the boot on a rotary, but I really shouldn't have to until the light has seen quite a lot of use. And for folks who don't have the skills to do so, which is likely the majority of rotary owners, having to send back the light to Henry to have it replaced is ridiculous IMO.

Lithium466

Enlightened
The HDS boots are the only one I've seen that are made in this sort of rubber.

The best thing to do, if not already done, is to contact HDS customer support and expose the situation. I did, and was answered that the current material is very resistant, and only a very small percentage of boots crack. Were yours flush or raised?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously I've contacted support to get the replacements, and they were aware that I was replacing them because they have cracked. Both were flush. I have two raised tailcaps also, and I've not experienced the cracking issue with them.

Note that my point here is not to complain about the issues with the boots on my clicky, nor to seek advice. It is to point out that the rotary is designed in such a way that the main wear item (or flawed part in my case) on the light is not designed to be user-serviceable and that, IMO, is a deal-breaker when considering the purchase of a tool. I'm simply voicing my opinion, and I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

Last edited:

Lithium466

Enlightened
By "exposing the situation", I meant "asking for a boot made from another, more resistant, material". Did you ask for it, since you seemed to be in position to ask for?

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
By "exposing the situation", I meant "asking for a boot made from another, more resistant, material". Did you ask for it, since you seemed to be in position to ask for?

No. I don't feel that offering my opinion that they should use a different material is worthwhile since they're already aware of the situation. Being the perfectionist that Henry is, I would assume that he would change the material if he felt it was warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.