HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been a clip guy, I take most of them off. But when I am out in the wild (woods, real actual wild), I like a paracord lanyard. Not only can I forget about any worries of dropping the light and harming the rocks out there, but it makes a great comfortable way to pocket carry. I loop the cord around my belt, or belt-loop, and drop the light through it so it hangs along the inside edge of my pocket. For a quick look, I don't even need to un-loop it, and it works hands-free in "floor bounce" mode carrying stuff into the house in the dark.

And, it also works with my Thor's Hammer holster when I want to go that way. I just tuck the excess lanyard inside my waist band. But the one Dan made me is a little shorter than the one above, so there is plenty of room for the double constrictor knot in the waist of the light.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Production update:
The last part needed to resume production arrived from the plater yesterday (a nickel plated solid brass piece for the tail. It will now allow us to start making tails again, and more new heads are scheduled to arrive today (not a vendor telling us but a UPS notification so we know they are arriving).
So, the elves are working.
On another note, we had ordered some new circuit boards 2 weeks ago, and discovered that the place we always use decided to have them done in... China. Not happening. I was pissed. Henry was pissed. They are now getting made by the company that has been doing for us in the U.S. for the last several years. The company is a kind of broker, so they use different vendors for the boards (we have used them as a broker for some time) and they suddenly thought we were interested in saving some money... WTF? Sometimes it's hard to get a vendor to understand that the price doesn't matter. We want the best, period. Either way, the board issue won't effect production or cause any more delays as we ordered them with plenty of time (we still have plenty of stock). So, we are now approaching the final chapter of this delay.

eff

Enlightened
Production update:
The last part needed to resume production arrived from the plater yesterday (a nickel plated solid brass piece for the tail. It will now allow us to start making tails again, and more new heads are scheduled to arrive today (not a vendor telling us but a UPS notification so we know they are arriving).
So, the elves are working.
On another note, we had ordered some new circuit boards 2 weeks ago, and discovered that the place we always use decided to have them done in... China. Not happening. I was pissed. Henry was pissed. They are now getting made by the company that has been doing for us in the U.S. for the last several years. The company is a kind of broker, so they use different vendors for the boards (we have used them as a broker for some time) and they suddenly thought we were interested in saving some money... WTF? Sometimes it's hard to get a vendor to understand that the price doesn't matter. We want the best, period. Either way, the board issue won't effect production or cause any more delays as we ordered them with plenty of time (we still have plenty of stock). So, we are now approaching the final chapter of this delay.

Just a quick question regarding your update.
Up until now, were the HDS lights considered "manufactured in the US" or "assembled in the US" (like the maglites) ?
Is it possible that some parts of some of the lights that' have been sold recently, had parts that were manufactured outside the US ?

kj2

Flashaholic
Up until now, were the HDS lights considered "manufactured in the US" or "assembled in the US" (like the maglites) ?
Is it possible that some parts of some of the lights that' have been sold recently, had parts that were manufactured outside the US ?
It is on their website, under the FAQ

"HDS Systems designs and builds its flashlights in Tucson, Arizona from parts that come from all over the world. We prefer using American parts whenever practical, but sometimes it is just not possible. As we build leading edge flashlights, we must have top-of-the-line parts to make our designs work."

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, Nichia emitters are made in Japan. There are some electronic components that can not be sourced in the U.S. as they are not made here. Cree emitters, while manufactured in the U.S. go to China or Taiwan for packaging, and as such, can not be labeled "made in the US" and actually show up here as "Made in China" or "Made in Taiwan".

Nearly every part that can be manufactured here in the U.S. is, except for two parts. When Henry asked me to partner up with him in January, one of the first questions I asked was "what is made is China?" One of those parts was the basic Executive clip. The other was a part that I already sourced here in the U.S. that we will be using once the current stock of that part is gone. In this case, it isn't a quality issue as that part has NEVER failed, it's my issue. Yes, I have issues. It is important to me that everything that can be sourced and made here is.

We buy all the little tiny electronic components that go on the circuit boards here, however there are some that are simply not manufactured in the U.S. anymore. All these tiny components are put on the circuit boards here in Tucson. The machining for all the parts is done at a one-man shop in California and he sends it out to another U.S. shop for anodizing.

In some cases, like the flat or raised switch, we use a U.S. supplier, but in all likelihood, they are having them done overseas.

When the only US manufacturer who could (and actually developed) the orange peel coating for reflectors went out of business, we moved to another US manufacturer (which is why orange peel reflectors went away). Some country who shall go nameless actually stole the process (yes, I have spoken to the man who actually developed that orange peel... as recently as a few weeks ago). HDS absolutely will not use overseas parts unless it is the only option (moving to the company overseas that will do orange peel is not an option. You play dirty, you lose our business).

This being the case, we simply state they are "Built in the U.S." I hope this answers the question for you. Henry has never been one to skimp when getting materials for his lights. We don't look for the cheapest, we look for the best... and of course, that is reflected in both the quality and cost of the lights.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not wanting to start fights or anything, but will LED centering and the "rough" counter clockwise rotation of the rotary, be addressed in the future? I sold both of my "High Noon" Rotary lights, because the LED's were quite noticeably off-centered! I love the dedication to using quality US components, but quality control is important to me too. I would buy another Rotary in a heartbeat, if these issues were resolved!

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not wanting to start fights or anything, but will LED centering and the "rough" counter clockwise rotation of the rotary, be addressed in the future? I sold both of my "High Noon" Rotary lights, because the LED's were quite noticeably off-centered! I love the dedication to using quality US components, but quality control is important to me too. I would buy another Rotary in a heartbeat, if these issues were resolved!

The counter clockwise "roughness" is being worked on. We should see that go away.

Let me bring you into story time... Here is how the conversation generally goes when I bring this up with Henry:

"Henry, are we going to do something about the off center emitters?" Hogo asked with some trepidation.

"The reality is, it doesn't effect the beam at all and doesn't effect the function of the light." Henry quipped back.

"Yes, but it drives people (word deleted to keep this family friendly) crazy!" Hogo retorted.

"We'll see." Henry stated going into deep thought.

I'll keep on him about it.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
This is another thing I can't wrap my head around. off center emitters?? Why does this drive people so crazy? As you say it has nothing to do with beam characteristic at all. I mean its not like your showing your lights to someone and they be like OMG look at that LED! It's off center. Lol

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is another thing I can't wrap my head around. off center emitters?? Why does this drive people so crazy? As you say it has nothing to do with beam characteristic at all. I mean its not like your showing your lights to someone and they be like OMG look at that LED! It's off center. Lol

I suppose it's a matter of degrees. If an emitter is off center by a tad, then there's no beef. But at some point an off center LED can create a crooked beam. This is not merely cosmetic.

Nickmen

Newly Enlightened
My Executive 250 have a crack in the dome of he LED and i do not know when the lamp refuses to work or if it refuses to work.

HDS said it is a cosmetic issues, too.

I just lost confidence and it's a pity that so many things are declared as cosmetic issues.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Executive 250 have a crack in the dome of he LED and i do not know when the lamp refuses to work or if it refuses to work.

I just lost confidence and it's a pity that so many things are declared as cosmetic issues.

That sucks.
I'd consider reflowing a nice new LED on that.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

By design the LED boards aren't quite centre.
The best situation is that you get a board with the LED centred on its pad (it'll have an even amount of the rectangular metallic pads showing either side).
It still won't be perfect but it's a non issue in that event.
I've desoldered a few boards now and it appears consistent.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not really the affect on the beam that bugs me. (Although it does affect the beam) To me, it's more the attention to details! Other makers have figured out a way to perfectly center LED's.

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Not to change the subject here gentlemen and forgive my dumb question, but when did HDS introduce the 325 lumen Rotary? I tried doing the digging, but I can only take so much. Lol

+1 K2!

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
SMH HDS aficionados. 15 minutes and still no answer? I know someone here knows the exact date and time the first 325 rolled off Henry's finger tips and into the wild

Dirty wage guy

Enlightened
Thank you Sir. I thought that they had been around a lot longer than that. At least by two years, but now I know and knowing is half the battle;)

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't see the crack you're referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.