HDS Systems EDC # 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any knowledge as to why the disc was removed? Maybe it was partly responsible for the left-turn vibe-noise in some Rotaries? In any case, I do like the fact that accidental activation will be mitigated. Whatever they did, this 35k rotary mechanism is smooooth like butter. Great job!

Johnnyh, please reread what you quoted.

Theodore stated he "THINKS" which is pure speculation rather than fact which you then opined your feelings about the subject matter as if his presumption was accurate rather than verifying with the manufacturer.

This is how FUD & rumors get started...

Well to be fair he did say maybe. I think you're reading too much into it. FWIW I think he's wrong, I don't think that white disk would have anything to do with the ccw "noise" in some tails, don't really see how it could. I think that's from the fingers inside passing over the pickup pads, either them being thicker/stiffer than before, or maybe angled differently, idk. I've got several Clickies, some with the white disk and some without, and honestly I can't tell the difference in them. I've never taken a Rotary tail apart though, so I have no idea if my Rotaries have the disk in them or not.

...but just to be clear my entire comment here is speculation. I know nothing for sure.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well to be fair he did say maybe. I think you're reading too much into it. FWIW I think he's wrong, I don't think that white disk would have anything to do with the ccw "noise" in some tails, don't really see how it could. I think that's from the fingers inside passing over the pickup pads, either them being thicker/stiffer than before, or maybe angled differently, idk. I've got several Clickies, some with the white disk and some without, and honestly I can't tell the difference in them. I've never taken a Rotary tail apart though, so I have no idea if my Rotaries have the disk in them or not.

...but just to be clear my entire comment here is speculation. I know nothing for sure.

At the risk of ending a discussion and pissing people off...
The disk was never put in Rotary lights. Only Clicky style.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never been too critical of the variation in "feel" of my clickies. What was interesting, and counter intuitive for me, was that when I cut and added my own plastic disk to one of my flush button Clickies from before they were added, it made the button stay more flush and not wobble when tailstanding. As one who uses the feature a lot, I liked that a great deal.

emu124

Enlightened
All confirmation emails from HDS have been sent. One person had their order cancelled because their shipping address was incorrect in PayPal, and they were notified by email from HDS. It was for a titanium.

:banghead:... that one person was me. Henry informed me that somethings wrong with my US shipping address. So I placed my order again and hope, this time, PayPal don't mix my Swiss and US shipping address again.:cool:

jruser

Newly Enlightened
If anybody doesn't see their email from Henry, check your spam. Google thought it was a phishing attempt.

doctordun

Enlightened
I am conflicted.
On one hand I want everyone who wants the titanium to get one.
On the other, I want the number to be finite, so my investment/toy/tool will keep it's value going forward.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am conflicted.
On one hand I want everyone who wants the titanium to get one.
On the other, I want the number to be finite, so my investment/toy/tool will keep it's value going forward.

This should quell your fears.

After speaking with Henry today, we decided on this...

Since we went over projections for the titanium run, we placed the order today for the lights sold plus a few extra. We are keeping the pre-sale open until August 1 or until these few extra are sold out. If for some reason these few extra do not sell by August 1, they will offered AFTER the pre-sale lights ship but at a $200 premium. And of course, if these few extra do make it until after the pre-sale lights ship, emitter choice may be severely limited.

JPA261

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone get the 300 lumen limited led emitter. If so, what do you think about it? You like it?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I searched and found some mention of ramping the light up and down, but nothing that quite matches the ramping UI of the Emisar D4 which has a single electronic switch.

I would love to have a ramping UI as an option for my Executives. This would combine the toughness of the clicky with the task-oriented tuning of the rotary. Anything like that on the list?

OK. Brought this up with Henry last night on the phone. It didn't go well.
I don't give up so easily.

Brought it up again this morning. Henry responded "Not only no, but hell no."

I took this as a challenge.

Henry has played with this before and explained the limitations and what not... just more of a challenge.

I started hitting him with various ideas on how to make it work (I'm not a programer, but I can think logically rather well or at least, I like to think so). I finally got to where Henry was pausing longer between my suggestions. This means I am heading in the right direction. I came up with something regarding programing that "could possibly" work, but not in the current version of the Executive... still making progress.

Henry told me to sit down and write how the UI would work with this keeping in mind how the current UI works, so that is what I'm doing. Came a long way from "hell no". I'll be working on this, and with some cursing, crying, a little bit of luck, a bit or rum, and a lot of tenacity, we "may" see this in the next iteration of the Executive.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is the Nichia 219b 4500K R9080 called F89HG? Did I miss that post?

I don't know why you would have missed that post... there have only been over 1000 since the first titanium post on the 26th... Dang!

F89 is responsible for promoting this emitter so much that I decided it would be good to offer them. The HG stands for "Holy Grail" hence F89HG.

indigon

Enlightened
Great job by HDS (Henry & Hogo) for burning the midnight oil and getting this out to us. Exceeded expectations.
Now the hard part begins.. (Toolin' Ti. Great fun!).

Ron

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding clips. Spoke with Henry about this as well and he literally cringed at the idea of putting ANYTHING under the bezel. He said that under no circumstances should the clip be put under the bezel. I was asking why couldn't this S clip design be done and... put under the bezel. Nope. Bad juju. However, it may be possible to make the Universal Clip with a different clip portion that is an S clip. Just mulling over ideas.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's because of the software version I have but when I try to program my light for beacon on preset c, it always ends up at a. That's what I get for venturing into the world of rotaries

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. Brought this up with Henry last night on the phone. It didn't go well.
I don't give up so easily.

Brought it up again this morning. Henry responded "Not only no, but hell no."

I took this as a challenge.

Henry has played with this before and explained the limitations and what not... just more of a challenge.

I started hitting him with various ideas on how to make it work (I'm not a programer, but I can think logically rather well or at least, I like to think so). I finally got to where Henry was pausing longer between my suggestions. This means I am heading in the right direction. I came up with something regarding programing that "could possibly" work, but not in the current version of the Executive... still making progress.

Henry told me to sit down and write how the UI would work with this keeping in mind how the current UI works, so that is what I'm doing. Came a long way from "hell no". I'll be working on this, and with some cursing, crying, a little bit of luck, a bit or rum, and a lot of tenacity, we "may" see this in the next iteration of the Executive.

Hmmm... there was a lot of positive feedback to just using the Novatac-style level setting with programming on to achieve this. I would think this would be the least indigestion for Henry to bring to fruition. As for me, I like it best because it does not fritz with any of the other already well thought out functions the light has. And it can be "shut off" by just turning off the programming mode, if one desires.

For those that missed it in the frenzy above:

- In any preset, double-click-press and ramping up begins; repeat and you are ramping down.

- When you are done you can turn off, and save the new level, or switch to another preset and the change will be discarded.

Simple really, and why I grab a 120P so often to hike out of the woods after dusk, where my dark adaption is very gradually developing in the fading light. The other cool thing is, unlike other "ramping" designs that either don't make remotely linear steps in brightness and/or ramp so fast you have a hard time getting what you want, the 120P steps along slow enough to easily hit your desired level, and each step follows Henry's "visually linear" levels, or a doubling of output for every two levels.

Last edited:

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's because of the software version I have but when I try to program my light for beacon on preset c, it always ends up at a. That's what I get for venturing into the world of rotaries

Puzzling - Rotary or not, as long as you have the light on Preset C when you triple-click-press, the new level you select there should save to Preset C. To end up on Preset A, you would have to be on Preset A when you perform the triple-click-press. So the only hooker is being sure what preset you are on when you activate level programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.