HDS Systems EDC #22

Status
Not open for further replies.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw those vapecells in the pic thread. Aren't those the ones HDS are selling?

Nevermind, found my answers

Last edited:

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I know the answer but, can a legacy light have the emitter swapped?

I have a legacy 140 with seoul p4 cool non-hicri. While it's ok i prefer something different. I'm just not sure if I should find someone (that knows what they are doing) to swap the emitter, or pass it on to someone that can appreciate it the way it is.

Also, the more i think about it...i really prefer rotary over clicky. While the 4 modes of an executive are typically fine, there are times when I just want to dial her in rather than just take whats available. Sometimes the set levels just aren't quite right.

With a rotary, i have the luxury of both options. I also find that with the executive legacy or new, the button tends to swell and ruins the tailstand ability. Something in the executive creates pressure in the button, rotaries have remained the same since new.

Any opinions and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I know the answer but, can a legacy light have the emitter swapped?

I have a legacy 140 with seoul p4 cool non-hicri. While it's ok i prefer something different. I'm just not sure if I should find someone (that knows what they are doing) to swap the emitter, or pass it on to someone that can appreciate it the way it is.

Also, the more i think about it...i really prefer rotary over clicky. While the 4 modes of an executive are typically fine, there are times when I just want to dial her in rather than just take whats available. Sometimes the set levels just aren't quite right.

With a rotary, i have the luxury of both options. I also find that with the executive legacy or new, the button tends to swell and ruins the tailstand ability. Something in the executive creates pressure in the button, rotaries have remained the same since new.

Any opinions and/or suggestions would be appreciated.
If you leave programming enabled, it is pretty quick to adjust levels up and down on the fly.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...can a legacy light have the emitter swapped?
There isn't an HDS/Novatac/Ra model that hasn't been through successful emitter transplant. I've never done one, but had several swapped and the member who's done most of mine said that it's easy, if you know what you're doing. I did just find out however that the newest lights do have a component close to the emitter that makes them the most difficult/risky, although that would not be an issue with your older light.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm getting on well with the pocket clip on my HDS, but I haven't completely shaken the fear of losing the flashlight. Would the pocket clip people sound off? I'd love to read anecdotes of long term, rock solid retention. "I've been carrying (fill in the blank model flashlight) for X number of decades..." etc, etc.

I won't be walking through the woods with it clipped this way. Moreover, I generally don't engage in activities that would get my a** above my head. I'll just be walking around, commuting, office droning, buckling and unbuckling seat belts, so forth and so on.

Thanks.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last pocket clip I used was well over a decade ago. Was on a SF Aviator (50 eye scorching lumens with dim red secondaries) Lost the Aviator the same day I bought it. I've never used a pocket clip again. Lost it getting out of a car in a parking garage...
It also how I lost that Spyderco Police fully-serrated knife I posted about in a different thread.
Sorry. I know that is NOT what you are looking for.

Modding emitters:
Any CAN be modded. I think of all the different ones, the NovaTac are the easiest. The current production lights are the most difficult as there is a temperature sensitive component close to the emitter that can get fried easily (not done on purpose, but it's there).

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last pocket clip I used was well over a decade ago.

That's what I was afraid of. You've made some good holsters for me so I may just use this clip under specific circumstances (e.g. the holster is full of other HDSes and I want another one.)

If you'll forgive a brief off topic question, how do you carry your Inkosi?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'll forgive a brief off topic question, how do you carry your Inkosi?

img-5117.jpg

I've been meaning to make a pouch with inlaid sidewinder rattlesnake but have been filling other orders... Maybe today or tomorrow.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add something banal and porosaic to the great clip discussion, I have an OR clip on my work HDS. It clings very safely in the top pocket of my Welder's Overalls, but if I wear a lighter set of overalls it doesn't hold. It's now sitting at the bottom of my pocket for fear it will leap out. Trouble is it wears a hole in the pockets faster than I wear out the knees.
It shoulld hold on a proper pair of jeans.
P

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you leave programming enabled, it is pretty quick to adjust levels up and down on the fly.
I will have to look into this, Thanks

There isn't an HDS/Novatac/Ra model that hasn't been through successful emitter transplant. I've never done one, but had several swapped and the member who's done most of mine said that it's easy, if you know what you're doing. I did just find out however that the newest lights do have a component close to the emitter that makes them the most difficult/risky, although that would not be an issue with your older light.
Thanks

I was thinking it would be a disservice to the light by having an emitter swap done, but I know there have been several that have done it or had it done. I would have to find someone that could do it. I'm still torn on the executive though, just love my rotaries.
I'm getting on well with the pocket clip on my HDS, but I haven't completely shaken the fear of losing the flashlight. Would the pocket clip people sound off? I'd love to read anecdotes of long term, rock solid retention. "I've been carrying (fill in the blank model flashlight) for X number of decades..." etc, etc.

I won't be walking through the woods with it clipped this way. Moreover, I generally don't engage in activities that would get my a** above my head. I'll just be walking around, commuting, office droning, buckling and unbuckling seat belts, so forth and so on.

Thanks.
I find that pocket clips always find something to snag on and would definitely fear losing such an item like an HDS. You could easily be walking along at work, out in the woods and something catch the clip. I have lost or almost lost items that way. depending on what's going on, you may not even feel it get pulled out of your pocket.

remember that guy that lost his HDS on the ship, luckily he found it(granted i think he had his on a lanyard, but still). I think there was another member that lost an HDS but luckily eventually found it. Wasn't there a member that lost their HDS for years and found it in one of their bushes a long while later while doing yard work.

Just saying, you never know. I like the idea of holsters but that typically isn't my style either; it tends to poke me in my side at times. Luckily my use for a light is limited; i don't need to always carry one. I do have lights around the house or in my vehicles in the event i do need a light. I usually know when i'll need a light and grab what i need; otherwise they sit around waiting to be used.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, when you post it like that...It looks worse than what i was thinking in my head when i wrote that . We should delete the evidence;)

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to doctordun after he posted about the Malkoff Hyper throw head for a SF e1 series...
I bought one...
If you want an HDS that really throws, and I have said this before, get a Malkoff. While the Hound Dog Super (HDS... hhmmmmm) is a bit large, and the 18650 Hound Dog is still a bit big (probably holster carry only), the little Hyper Throw is the ticket.
I know. I know. I partnered with Henry and work at HDS. So what? Gene is a great guy and this is a real solution. They are totally different lights and I honestly don't see any competition between them and I just like to honest when finding a solution to a problem (in this case wanting a lot more throw and we at HDS just aren't working on that so....)

It isn't dark here yet so I hit the leather shop, made the holster for doc, but I can tell this thing will really throw especially for it's size.
It is a 123 only and only has one level... but it throoooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwws.

img-5122.jpg

While most know I am not into beam shots, I do think they work nicely for throw.... so here is the NLT:
img-5124.jpg

And the Malkoff Hyper Throw:
img-5123.jpg

both were held on the trees in the background. The wall is 30 yards away. I haven't ranged the trees.

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m seeing a few posts about clips and holsters and thought I d add there is another option. I ve had my HDS attached to this thing for months now and it's performing nicely.

I actually do like a holster but it sometimes isn't practical, leather can't be washed without damaging it, etc.

By the way, thanks Dan I gotta get me a hyper throw now. Nice beam shots.

Sos24

Enlightened
I m seeing a few posts about clips and holsters and thought I d add there is another option. I ve had my HDS attached to this thing for months now and it's performing nicely.

I actually do like a holster but it sometimes isn't practical, leather can't be washed without damaging it, etc.

By the way, thanks Dan I gotta get me a hyper throw now. Nice beam shots.

Was there suppose to be a picture of "this thing" or at least a description of what it is?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, i was thinking usdiver forgot to upload a picture as well.

The only thing about the malkoff hyper throw for me is i can usually see too much blue from Gene's 6200k emitters. I was tempted at one point to try one, but never did. I have heard nothing but good about the hypers though

EDIT: is that the 5500K head with the secret squirrel emitter? bad thing is runtime on primaries is extremely short and reduced output on single li-ion...hmmm this is exactly why i have been staying away:crackup:

Last edited:

klackey

Enlightened
Dang! I must stop reading things on this site. Ordered a few things from Unique titanium then that hyper throw just looked like too much fun as I have a pile of old E series lights gathering dust. Love how you never know what new cool stuff will pop up with so many "like minded" people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts