HDS Systems Poll: HDS Headlamp or HDS Keychain?

HDS Headlamp or HDS Keychain?

• HDS Headlamp

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • HDS Keychain

Votes: 35 52.2%

• Total voters

d13avo

Enlightened
Headlamp for me so I stop dribbling all over my Rotary when I end up putting it in my mouth so I can use both hands.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately a Keychain light. A programmable keychain light (AA or AAA) like a Clicky or Rotary would be great. It is Long time ago a programmable AA or AAA light existed...

There are a lot great Headlamps on the market, therefore my vote for a Keychain light.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest thing for me when it comes to cell choice, and it sounds like maybe some others too, is rechargeability. Li-ion is great, I love li-ion and really prefer that chemistry, but NiMH like eneloops is fine too, good even. Any cell size that only comes in disposable primary cells is an immediate turn-off for me, I don't care how long their "lifetime" is. A quick Googling shows some rechargeable CR2-sized cells so I wouldn't immediately write that off if you were to offer it, but all the cells I'm seeing up front seem to be kinda sketchy. So it may take some research for me to find a good option, but if its out there then I'm into it.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Headlamp for me so I stop dribbling all over my Rotary when I end up putting it in my mouth so I can use both hands.

Word of caution! I do this all the time, but I was on a job site digging into my tool bag and had a Pflex Pro S2 clenched lightly in my teeth while I rifled around in the bag. Without warning, I sneezed...broke my uber-expensive bridge work front tooth! I'm now eagerly awaiting further development of the HDS headlamp...

moltenmag

Enlightened
This has been discussed at length. Alkaline batteries eventually leak. The only advantage is availability in remote areas.

Did I mention they leak? CR2's are also a PIA.

CR2 batteries are also EXPENSIVE in stores. I get mine online in bulk and they are much cheaper. I've seen some in stores that are $6-$8 for ONE battery. Like are you joking? I would much rather have a single AA or AAA HDS. My uncle pulled out his single AA Fenix this weekend and said that "my favorite thing about this light is that it takes a single AA battery."

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would prefer AAA over CR2. I use CR2s in my Muyshondt Aeon and they are a PIA to stock. AAA batteries are much more accessible, rechargeable? and the slimmer form factor is preferable IMHO.

d13avo

Enlightened
Word of caution! I do this all the time, but I was on a job site digging into my tool bag and had a Pflex Pro S2 clenched lightly in my teeth while I rifled around in the bag. Without warning, I sneezed...broke my uber-expensive bridge work front tooth! I'm now eagerly awaiting further development of the HDS headlamp...

Cheers Johnnyh never gave it a thought. Yes headlamp would be so handy in my job.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Not really an either /or thing..

I vote we consolidate all these polls into one thread.. ;)

LOL ya getting a little out of hand.im waiting Patiently for which body style do you want round or square poll to pop up. 😂😂😂

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I voted for headlamp, so how is this really useful for me,
but in fact it is better to have both.

I have about 1.2 million people in the city, I would not say that this is a remote area,
the CR2 batteries can only be bought in several large stores and it costs here
more than CR123, while AAA/AA is everywhere. 1*CR2 = 1.4*CR123 = 9*AAA = 13*AA.
Of course, this situation is only in my region, others can be different.

Alkaline batteries do sometimes spill, but if you make the compartment
sealed from the switch and head and contact parts, resistant to corrosion,
so that in the event of a leak, you can simply insert a new battery?

moltenmag

Enlightened
LOL ya getting a little out of hand.im waiting Patiently for which body style do you want round or square poll to pop up. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Lol just trying to spur conversation in an organized and fun way... :)

bigfoot

Enlightened
Another vote for a keychain light, even though AFAIK, HDS got its start with caving and headlamps.

Trouble is, both the keychain light and headlamp market is pretty saturated already. Not that I'd turn down an HDS variant of either! :p

Since we're daydreaming... a smaller light in a AAA form factor (afraid that AA size would compete with regular HDS offerings), but regulated with a long-running lower output (maybe 60-ish lumens), with high CRI, and able to run on Eneloops or lithium primaries would be pretty cool. Something akin to an updated Arc AAA for 2018.

:popcorn:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
On this poll, it's definitely time to say "buy both"

So again I'll vote for the return of the Action Light with modern emitters and battery's.

But talk of the Aeon mkii makes me think of the Muyshond Nautilus or a Peak McKinley. Maybe borderline of about as big as you would want on a keychain, but it uses a 123A size cell, so a keychain light using this battery can share cells with the full size HDS lights, which is a big plus.

I agree that AAA lights are smaller, but they are extremely common, and I feel like HDS isn't about doing what everyone else is doing, and the AAA battery is somewhat limiting to output and runtime. I feel the 123A gives you big light capability in a still potentially compact package.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted for the headlamp but this is mostly a pocket real estate issue. Currently no vacancies on my key chain. Of course, if there were a key chain sized HDS light, something else might get displaced, but a headlamp would be altogether more useful for my purposes.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the headlamps will be coming first, hopefully followed by something small for a keychain or whatnot, then Henry's dream headlamp...
Henry's "Dream Headlamp" will be one impressive piece of engineering. We have discussed it for over 2 years and I have to say... it will be the first of it's kind and in true HDS fashion... but I think we are looking at a good two years before that comes to fruition. Other irons in the fire have to get done first and prototyping the "dream headlamp" isn't going to be cheap or easy. Hell, none of it is cheap or easy but it's definitely worth it. If the last two years hadn't been what they were, well, we would be much farther ahead, but things happened outside of HDS and outside of HDS control that ate up most of Henry's time.

I use a headlamp daily in the leather shop... Armytek Wizzard. Have had 2 Zebra and 2 Sparks as well, but those 4 eventually failed. I have 4 Wizzards and one has failed. I need an HDS headlamp.

My keychain light is a 4 Sevens Atom given to me by David himself. It's also what Henry has on his keychain. That is still going strong but it doesn't get a lot of use. Would be nice to have a little HDS there instead.

HDS has a long way to go, and I have certainly come to understand the "joys" of manufacturing. Vendors can't read calendars and are horrible at giving time estimates... very much like my girlfriend who has never shown up for anything on time in her life. She will show up late to her own funeral. I on the other hand try to keep a schedule like a Japanese train. Of course, I'm the one going to keel over from a myocardial infarction or hemorrhagic stroke.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know Henry has stated he doesn't want a strap that would wear out. I think something like a hard hat strap would be durable as hell.

And for hard core use, (not me EVER) an optional chin strap.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know Henry has stated he doesn't want a strap that would wear out. I think something like a hard hat strap would be durable as hell.

And for hard core use, (not me EVER) an optional chin strap.

This could be a balancing act. A tough strap may be uncomfortable. A comfortable strap may not be tough.

I'm picturing a thick strap of Hogo leather with an imperishable metal buckle printing into my forehead.

HighLumens

Enlightened
+1 on both the keychain and the headlamp HDS but for me, and I think I already mentioned it in the main thread some time ago, I'm looking to replace my 9+ years old Liteflux LF2XT so can't wait for the keychain to become available.

I'd much prefer it using a AAA over a CR2 for many of the reasons already discussed, the form factor being the main one and the availaility of the power source a close second.

I imagine all the F89HG emitters available were already used... but it'd be nice if some more could find their way into both the keychain and the headlamp. As always thank you Hogo and Henry for listening to us and keep up the great work ;)

ven

Flashaholic
Some type of attachment for hard hat use would be a HUGE bonus. Cavers wear hard hats..................maybe an option:whistle: