HDS Systems Poll: Team Clicky or Team Rotary?

Team Clicky or Team Rotary?

• Total voters

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clicky is nice for sure but the rotary is in a class of its own. I'd take a rotary all day every day and twice on Sunday

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any of you that bought a rotary or clicky and soon switched vice-versa?

My first purchase was a rotary, but I soon developed an affection for the clicky version. I still have a rotary. In fact, I like it much better now with the new internals, but the clicky will always be my preference. My reasons are completely subjective, of course. The clicky just feels more solid to me.

Strintguy

Enlightened
I'm with Modern, my legacy Tactical Clicky feels inexplicably more solid. I also love the ability to change tailcaps from raised to flush.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the clicky, primarily because I consider it digital, meaning I can quickly select the exact level I want, and know exactly how many lumens I'm getting. The rotary seems analog to me - meaning my output setting can be an infinite number of lumen outputs (ok, really just 24) but it's harder to know EXACTLY where it is unless I do it slowly and count.

Do I NEED to know exactly where the light is set? No, of course not. Why do I care then? Honestly, it's probably mental illness. Same reason why I set my adjust my watch to the official NIST time twice a week. Yes, I have a problem.

And the clicky is compatible with a normal clip.

Good news is that if you choose wrong, just chalk it up as a short term rental and pass it on as a WTS. Or relegate it to BOB duty and then get the other one!

Legenddkk

Newly Enlightened
IMO the rotary is one the best UIs. I'm team Rotary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, if I want to send a HDS rotary in and have the button switched from flush to raised, what will it cost me?

Mostly a rotary fan here, but I do have a clicky too, and enjoy it on occasion.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, if I want to send a HDS rotary in and have the button switched from flush to raised, what will it cost me?

Might be worth starting a WTT thread and see if anybody with a raised switch wants to just swap the entire tail with you.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

It will cost you around $50. I ve done it myself.

On the other note,the super smooth rotary tails "should be" or "are" the older tails. The new ones now that Henry is doing are not "gritty" but they aren't as smooth as the older ones.... but at the same time the new ones are more robust than the older ones. Never had a problem with an older one.

You'll be better off in the long run to wither paybthe $50 to get the button switched or just buy another tail with the button you want and you ll have a spare.

alphaBRAVO

Newly Enlightened
I'll add a rotary one day for its unique, simple UI. I especially like the ability to select output before turning the light on, and conversely, the ability to tell what it will output before turning on the light. In that way, leaving the selector ring in the same position would provide a sort of "mode memory" I'd find useful. And no Morse Code clicky! My only worry is it looks to be a bit of a pocket pendulum given its length. Maybe I'd add a clip.

alphaBRAVO

Newly Enlightened
@usdiver, bezel down, flashlight (mostly) concealed in pocket, placement doesn't interfere with sitting or biking. I've seen at least one aftermarket clip for the HDS (there may be others(?)), but it looks like it might interfere with tail standing? That'd be a huge drawback for me.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS has a clip and there are aftermarket clips for other makes I ve seen however there are other options.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
@usdiver, bezel down, flashlight (mostly) concealed in pocket, placement doesn't interfere with sitting or biking. I've seen at least one aftermarket clip for the HDS (there may be others(?)), but it looks like it might interfere with tail standing? That'd be a huge drawback for me.

Bezel up, and not especially deep carry, but here's a clip option that does not interfere with the Rotary tail or with tail-standing. I carry like this all the time without issue

3LjLbfe.jpg

More info here, if you're interested: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...all-a-Clip-Under-the-Bezel-of-Your-HDS-Rotary