HDS Systems Poll: Team Flush or Team Raised?

Team Flush or Team Raised?

• Team Flush

Votes: 51 72.9%
  • Team Raised

Votes: 19 27.1%

• Total voters

ven

Flashaholic
Being a trooper and all, he likes raised due to the extra darth nights
Zi286lyl.jpg

GoVegan

Enlightened
Voted flush.

I hate protruding buttons as they can accidentally get turned on in my pocket. Especially as I deep pocket carry with no clip. The lack of a Z68 kept me from buying the Surefire Backup and so I went with the HDS, and I'd never consider an Olight S series because of their side switches.

Anyway if is great to have the choice, and even better to be able to swap out for those of us with clickies.

BTW I wear always chinos or 5.11 pants and FWIW I don't jump out of planes.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise but the raised button has a fatal flaw like the Death Star. In normal use, probably 10% of my attempts to turn the light on result in...nothing. No light. Is it user error? Absolutely! I tend to use the tip of my thumb rather than the pad, which means I don't always put pressure on the exact center of the button. But you have to push the exact center of the button to get light. The flush button is more tolerant of my button pressing idiosyncrasies. Before anyone screams to loudly, I've already claimed responsibility for the failure. The raised button and I are having a break up and I'm saying, "it's not you, it's me!"

you could also have a dodgy switch? I ve tried what you're saying with my newly repaired Navy Seal 250 and it works every time, no matter where on the button I push... however I will note that my old tail has an activation pressure or let's call it trigger weight of 2.15 lbs and my new tail is much stiffer with a trigger weight of 7.15 lbs. much harder to push which I hope it lightens up over time but Henry did a great job, previous rotary noise had been removed (you have to really listen to hear it now), no flashes at low level... all good. Just thinking when I get old and my hands may be too weak to press the button 🤔
🤓but I still prefer raised all day every day and this thing WILL NOT accidentally activate!

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
Voted flush.

I hate protruding buttons as they can accidentally get turned on in my pocket. Especially as I deep pocket carry with no clip. The lack of a Z68 kept me from buying the Surefire Backup and so I went with the HDS, and I'd never consider an Olight S series because of their side switches.

Anyway if is great to have the choice, and even better to be able to swap out for those of us with clickies.

BTW I wear always chinos or 5.11 pants and FWIW I don't jump out of planes.

My new EDC LE came with a raised button, so I got to try a raised button for the first time, it was nice but I quickly replaced it for a flush button.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy the appearance and the tactile feedback of the raised button, but I have a question for the raised button only crowd. You walk into a dark room and switch on your HDS edc flashlight with a raised button. Then you find what you're looking for, but now you need both hands. What do you do with the light if not tail stand it? Hold it in your teeth?

scout24

Flashaholic
Teeth, tuck it under one arm, hold it between my knees, or put it bezel up on a flat surface in a Hogo holster to "tailstand"...

And, if Raised is preferred by Shorty and Longman... (See PSA thread.) :p :nana:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy the appearance and the tactile feedback of the raised button, but I have a question for the raised button only crowd. You walk into a dark room and switch on your HDS edc flashlight with a raised button. Then you find what you're looking for, but now you need both hands. What do you do with the light if not tail stand it? Hold it in your teeth?

Put it in my Thor's hammer holster, either bezel up or down.

Most of the time that I have needed a light, I don't need to tailstand it- or I use a headlamp. There are times that it can come in handy to tailstand but I have other lights for that.

Funny thing, the last time I said that I don't use tailstanding, I needed it later that day.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the discussion has come up recently and I've changed my mind, I figured I'd bump this old thread to say I now prefer flat buttons on my Clickys.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do like the raised switch better, but I'd rather have the flush switch considering I pocket carry without clip and don't want accidental activation. I know I can activate the lockout but that's just one more step I gotta perform when I need to use the light

I might just get another tailcap with raised boot so I can swap super easily

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flush button works just fine for me, and I tail stand my lights a lot. I tried the raised button once but did not prefer it and sold that light.

indigon

Enlightened
I prefer the flush button as I am in a warmer climate and don't wear gloves much. Have a couple old raised rotary tails, I added a Novatac vinyl protector tail cap on it, works well. Like the solid tactile click, less prone to accidental activation. I usually just stuff the light in my front jeans pocket and with the attached 1L-2L clip, easy access and no problems.

Left 18500 NA52, right de-domed 519a 4k thrower
1000006325.jpg

Last edited:

Lights and Guns

Newly Enlightened
Flush without even thinking about it....

Tail stand feature is clutch...Why give that up? I don't see myself gaining anything from having a raised button.

indigon

Enlightened
Flush without even thinking about it....

Tail stand feature is clutch...Why give that up? I don't see myself gaining anything from having a raised button.
There is no right answer.
Pro's and con's have been thoroughly vetted.
Just a matter of what works best for you.
We're fortunate to have choice. 🤙

muichimon

Newly Enlightened
I don't use the tail stand function, but I like the flash button because of its appearance. I've never used the raised button, but I'm sure it's easy to use.

Graylock

Newly Enlightened
I don't use the tail stand function, but I like the flash button because of its appearance. I've never used the raised button, but I'm sure it's easy to use.
The appearance is what did it for me, too. In fact, I just ordered my first Custom Rotary 2 days ago, and I really went back and forth on the tail button question. In the end, I realized that most of my lights by other makers have raised tail buttons, so I thought I'd try something a bit sleeker looking. So I'm a flusher! Hope I don't regret it, as it is far too costly to switch!

Last edited: