Heading to Iceland in July ... Should I bother bringing a flashlight?

Rexlion

Enlightened
Quik, are you sure you're a flashaholic? :poke: Of course you need to take a flashlight!! What will you do when you want to see under a desk, or in a dark closet, or in a windowless room when the power goes out? What if you get invited to explore a cave? What will you have to show off when you bump into a fellow flashaholic?? Sheesh! :D

Quiksilver

Enlightened
That's the mentality of modern-day plebeians. "What the hell do I need a flashlight for? There's plenty of light during the day, and plenty of street lamps at night!"

I'd rather carry it and not need it, than not have it when needed.

Thats interesting ... I could point to a few people around the board room last week with net worth of ~8-figures each ... They don't have flashlights on them at all times. I guess they're Plebs too?

I really appreciate being called a Pleb simply because some days I choose *GASP* not to EDC a flashlight!

Glad you're having a great day! :)

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats interesting ... I could point to a few people around the board room last week with net worth of ~8-figures each ... They don't have flashlights on them at all times. I guess they're Plebs too?

I really appreciate being called a Pleb simply because some days I choose *GASP* not to EDC a flashlight!

Glad you're having a great day! :)

I don't think you understand the context of the word "plebeians" in that sentence. Do tell, how many of those people in the board room with net worth of "~8-figures each" do you consider to have some sort of knowledge regarding the value of flashlights?

And what's more interesting is that you've decided to create a topic, on a forum where EDC'ing flashlights is the norm, to ask others if you should bother bringing a flashlight, and suddenly remark that you don't "appreciate" being referred as a pleb--a commoner, an enlightened, those who have not seen the light when it comes to value of flashlights.

mbw_151

Enlightened
The darkest places I've ever been have all been inside! You might not need hours of runtime, but never, ever, ever have zero minutes of runtime. You're a member of this Forum, you know the risks.

YAK-28

Enlightened
at least for something to gift/trade with the natives. it's not always daylight for them. a good one might get a few beers.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said, if you want to go to places like this, than yes, bring several...and a headlamp. Alot of these are with in and hour/hour and a half of the Capital.

DSC01153.jpg

Rauforholshellir_30_May_0529.jpg

foxfury2.jpg

Surthellir1.jpg

Surtshellir4.jpg

Arnaker.jpg

Arnaker2.jpg

Arnaker3.jpg

Arnaker_3_Mar_052.jpg

Arnaker_3_Mar_0533.jpg

Arnaker_3_Mar_0537.jpg

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Yes Quicksilver, take lights. A small personal single cell light, maybe on a lanyard, which you keep on your person all the time should suffice for most tasks. Although it never gets proper night dark in Iceland during summer, the low sun during when it should be dark casts long shadows which can hide ruts, potholes and other trip hazards if you go out for a late stroll. I was there in late July/early August 6 years ago and managed to step right into a small icy stream hidden in shadows during a midnight walk, even though there was enough light to see the surrounding countryside.

A medium distance light with a balanced throw/spill beam would act as your main outdoor light. You'll be fighting against a certain amount of natural ambient light so 300 lumens wouldn't hurt, and dual mode would save battery power when full output isn't required. Whether or not you need a headlamp and a thrower depends on your intended activities, but going without any lights is pure folly.

As others have said, eye shades are a must (best advice I was given) otherwise it can be difficult to sleep, although I found myself getting up in the middle of the night just to witness the strangeness of it still being light outside. One thing I wish I had was bug juice. Because the summer is so short there, the insect life goes wild during its' reproductive cycle. Down in the south, the north and the non-glacial interior, you might be plagued by bazillions of midges. You quickly learn to keep your mouth shut. I was shooting video there and it really tested my nerve to hold the camera steady, tucked under my arm while feeling midges crawling all over me. I could see them in the reflection of my glasses, scuttling on my face and trying to get in my ears. I envied the stills photographer who could just shoot and run. When we were driven to some godforsaken airstrip in the middle of a barren volcanic plain, which turned out to be midge central, I noticed some seasoned tourists wearing mosquito net bags over their heads. An excellent idea.

Take a good camera because despite the bug life, the scenery is spectacular in the bright summer sun and almost cloudless brilliant blue skies. The melting snow means pretty much every mountain and hill will have waterfalls springing from all sides. If you can get to Gullfoss in the south west or Dettifoss in the north you'll be in for a treat. No midges either!

Even in summer, always pack your waterproofs in your rucksack. I forgot my over trousers on a cross-country hike back to the hotel after visiting a large volcano, and had to trudge back 8 miles in torrential rain which soaked me to the underwear and left me very cold, wet demoralised, and convinced that my blood was thinning by osmosis.

Booze is very expensive in Iceland so use your allocation of duty free at the airport, each member of your party bringing a different spirit so you can share and only need to buy mixers. Beer isn't really worth it but if you do buy a can it's fun to stick your hand over the top between sips and tell your fellow travellers it's so you don't lose any through evaporation - see how many take you seriously.

Last edited: