Helmet mount red headlight

GHOSTMONKEY

Newly Enlightened
I can speak for the Petzl duo, literally take this badboy underwater just fine. Screamin deal @ backcountry.com

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
I can speak for the Petzl duo, literally take this badboy underwater just fine. Screamin deal @ backcountry.com

Seems kinda pricey to me for old school technology, but if I'm not mistaken the Duo isnt a red light anyhow, which is what the OP is after.

simples

Newly Enlightened
DIΩDΣ;3773038 said:
Seems kinda pricey to me for old school technology, but if I'm not mistaken the Duo isnt a red light anyhow, which is what the OP is after.

Interesting thought !

The Petzl Duo is only dated as far as the internals. It still comes with a halogen bulb as it has been around for some time. The battery box and lamp is however far more durable and of far higher quality than what comes on most headtorches these days. Upgraded with the best LEDs you get something with better performance than any of the off shelf headlamps suggested, both in terms of durability and LED specification.

Before this turned into a zebralight thread, the original poster asked for something that has a red LED, runs from AA batteries and can be bolted permanently to a helmet. The Duo has helmet fixings when you remove the headband and runs on AA batteries. The Duo can be fitted easily with a full flood red Cree LED (probably a margin better than you ould get in a typical red LED flashlight).

Controversial I realize, as the Zebralight is obviously the answer to all the problems of the world, but I was going to suggest this !!

http://www.ammazzzon.commm/Mr-Coffee-4-Cup-Programmable-Coffeemaker

Like the zebralight, doesn't fit the critera at all, but does make a wicked cup of coffee, and that could be a little red LED indicator that I spy down near the bottom.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before this turned into a zebralight thread, the original poster asked for something that has a red LED, runs from AA batteries and can be bolted permanently to a helmet....Controversial I realize, as the Zebralight is obviously the answer to all the problems of the world, but I was going to suggest this !!...Like the zebralight, doesn't fit the critera at all...

He's right. If you look past the sarcasm, these requirements just can't be met by a Zebralight. Zebralight

- doesn't use AA,
- doesn't come in red, and
- can't be bolted to a helmet.

So would all of you Zebra fanboys just back off? This can't be done with a Zebralight!!

helmetred.jpg

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bolster, I've seen this great looking mount posted by you in the Zebralight Mods thread, but have you discussed it in any detail -- that is, exactly what the mount is and how you put it together? I bet people would be curious to know -- and I know I certainly am! :thumbsup:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to, Varuscelli, but Simple has defined it out of existence in post #23, so even I myself doubt that it's real. I'm having something of an existential crisis over it.

LOL, seriously, it is just a simple clamp mechanism for two Zebralights. Honestly there's not much to it, but I'll field any questions you have. It's aluminum, and it works like a "sandwich". I plan to make a single mount as soon as the new H502 is out...just waiting EVER SO PATIENTLY for that one.

Between you, me, and the fencepost, just looping the headband around the helmet works very well. Most helmet mounted lights you see use a band. Simple, effective, cheap. A hard mount is "nice to have" but not necessary.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, seriously, it is just a simple clamp mechanism for two Zebralights. Honestly there's not much to it, but I'll field any questions you have. It's aluminum, and it works like a "sandwich". I plan to make a single mount as soon as the new H502 is out...just waiting EVER SO PATIENTLY for that one.

Actually what I meant was what is the nature/description of the clamp? What was its original intended use or range of uses? And did you modify it at all or intuitively recognize that the existing clamp was right for fitting for a couple of ZebraLights and then fixed it to the hard hat? What I couldn't tell was whether you somehow manufactured or machined it or figured out a creative alternate use for an existing clamp.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is a link to Bolster's original hemet mount thread.

- Robo the Librarian

Ahh, that's what I wanted to know! I had seen only the photo in the ZebraLight Mods thread and not the original post. I guess the mods thread didn't contain a link back to Bolster's original thread (or at least I didn't see it if it was there).

Fantastic work by Bolster! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I envy the talent you have to conceive and execute something like that so well. Outstanding.

Last edited:

simples

Newly Enlightened
but Simple has defined it out of existence in post #23, so even I myself doubt that it's real. I'm having something of an existential crisis over it.

Excellent point, really well made.

So where exactly does Cexhun (post 1) go to purchase this fantastic helmet fixing system for the red zebralight. Looks a bit of a bargain for $100 including the zebralights. I think I'll get one of these set ups too.

Seriously though, the red AA zebralight looks a good bet for the job (about 65 bucks ??). Could it just be put on front of helmet with 4 holes and a couple of zip ties?

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually Simples wins the argument at the end of the day. A fair amount of effort goes into making a decent clamp and - oh did I mention -- you need a mill with tooling, that'll set you back $1500. You could get your local machinist to make you something but custom machining always comes with sticker shock. I am hoping to make a single clamp of much simpler design that I could actually sell on occasion to a CPF'er who wanted one. (Never considered a production run of the doubles clamps because I couldn't imagine anybody crazy enough to want them, besides me). Note the double clamp DOES NOT WORK with just one light...you would have to insert at least a round spacer.

What I would do, if I had no mill, and if I wanted to use a Zebra, is glue the silicone or rubber holder to the hardhat. Like Varuscelli did with his clip, only I'd glue the holder directly to the helmet.

I would love to ask: what would the forum think would be a proper amount to pay for the double zebra clamp? What would be an appropriate price for a SINGLE light clamp? But if I did that it would be serious thread derailment. However a personal message would be appreciated.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bolster, I don't know what to say about a price, and I'm not sure how many folks would go for a double clamp over a single clamp (although I know there are those who would), but I think making one or both available for sale to forum members is a great idea, especially if you could keep it in a price range to be both affordable to the buyer and profitable to you.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I would do, if I had no mill, and if I wanted to use a Zebra, is glue the silicone or rubber holder to the hardhat. Like Varuscelli did with his clip, only I'd glue the holder directly to the helmet.

Or glue one of the silicon holders to a very thin metal plate that could itself be drilled and attached to the hard hat more securely (bolted or screwed) so that the holder unit could be attached and removed at will.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
...especially if you could keep it in a price range to be both affordable to the buyer...

Which would be?

Or glue one of the silicon holders to a very thin metal plate that could itself be drilled and attached to the hard hat more securely (bolted or screwed) so that the holder unit could be attached and removed at will.

That's a capital idea. And I don't think you could ever machine a holder that could compete with this for simplicity, durability, and economy. So I would not expect to see a big market in rigid helmet clamps.

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Which would be?

That's a capital idea. And I don't think you could ever machine a holder that could compete with this for simplicity, durability, and economy. So I would not expect to see a big market in rigid helmet clamps.

would $20 per holder be viable? that's about what the Pelican helmet mount costs.

what about punching two holes in the helmet bill and zip-tying the silcone holder to the helmet?

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the customer is always right, so, if it seems like a $20 item, that's what it is, regardless of how much time or material it takes to make it. Sure, if it were mass produced in China, maybe. As a custom job...not even close. Typical machine shop prices are $50/hr, and that bracket would take maybe a half day after you'd done a couple of them. So this probably signals a very early death to any fantasy I had of making clamps for sale. They'd probably cost more than the Zebralight itself. Better to know now than later!

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Well the customer is always right, so, if it seems like a $20 item, that's what it is, regardless of how much time or material it takes to make it. Sure, if it were mass produced in China, maybe. As a custom job...not even close. Typical machine shop prices are $50/hr, and that bracket would take maybe a half day after you'd done a couple of them. So this probably signals a very early death to any fantasy I had of making clamps for sale. Better to know now than later!

lol! uh, my opinion may not be a good gauge on this. afterall, i'm the guy who continues to use $5 headlamps almost exclusively. i'm cheap. :eek:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be interesting to see if the OP/cexshun chimes back in to let folks know what he thinks about the suggestions...or what he might have found via separate research.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
would you? that would be nice.

Sure. Let me begin by saying that everything I carry and every mod I make are based on the "the only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it" philosophy. Think about this for moment. Say you are in a building and an earthquake/fire occurs and there is no electricity. You need light, specially hand-free light, to help yourself and others to get to safety. But how are you gonna to do that when your single purpose bulky headlamp is in the trunk of your car? What does any of this have anything to do with the OP? It sure does. He might have to perform his job at moment's notice while his gear bag is not within reach. If he has his tools on his person, he can be ready in seconds instead of minutes.

I have estimated that the cost of my version of a red headlamp to be well under $100.

Zebralight H51w headlamp: $64
Cord/shoelace headband: $.50
Cord lock and elastic sleeve $.50
Gorilla tape $.25
Red filter $.50

I didn't use a hard hat for this project, so some imagination is needed. On the left is the materials I EDC on my person at all times: headlamp, tape, filters. A few strips of gorilla tape can secure the headband to the hard hat, if necessary. Since the lanyard headband is so cheap and easy to make, you can leave one on the hard hat permanently. For those who have used Gorilla tape, I don't need to explain how strong this stuff is. You can leave the tape on the hard hat under water for a month and it will still stick.
Hardhat1.jpg

Put on the red filter when you need a red headlamp
Hardhat2.jpg
p

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Put on the red filter when you need a red headlamp
Hardhat2.jpg

sweet. i think i asked this in the Zebra mod thread, but i'll ask here again; what did you use for the filter? (*Edit* - nevermind, i see you answered in the other thread.)

also, it's nice how you did the pics side by side so they would get shrunk down. i wish more people would post pics of reasonable size. smaller pics work just as good as big pics in most cases and make the threads easier to navigate. thanks.

Last edited: