Helmet mount red headlight

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an appealing helmet mount, it's dead simple, too, a slice of extruded aluminum. For surefire handhelds. THAT's how you get the price down to $20.

http://www.galls.com/style-FL879-ge...s;jsessionid=429DD1EA2A7B58596331CD289991E1AC

Also there are these Pelican-specific stamped-steel holders, they're below $20:

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/pelican-helmet-flashlight-holders.html

One issue I had with my "Rhino" design, is that I wanted to cradle my Zebras in non-marring safety. But if you'd just bore a hole and use a setscrew to crank down on the light (as in the first link), it could be done much, much less expensively. At the cost of a pock-mark on your zebralight.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
One issue I had with my "Rhino" design, is that I wanted to cradle my Zebras in non-marring safety. But if you'd just bore a hole and use a setscrew to crank down on the light (as in the first link), it could be done much, much less expensively. At the cost of a pock-mark on your zebralight.

On your design, would it be possible to glue a couple of thin strips of rubber or felt to the inside of the clamp where it comes into contact with the ZebraLight lamp to provide a buffer between the metal of the clamp and the metal of the light? Just a thought to keep the metal-to-metal contact from happening.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Zebralight Red H501r and it is super bright, much more so than a white led with a filter.

If I wanted to attach it to a hard hat I would use the simple and cheap "Petzl Helmet clips". I have used these for years on caving helmets and they work just fine and make the light easy to remove or put on. They just act lik hooks over the rim to keep the light from sliding up.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Zebralight Red H501r and it is super bright, much more so than a white led with a filter.

If I wanted to attach it to a hard hat I would use the simple and cheap "Petzl Helmet clips". I have used these for years on caving helmets and they work just fine and make the light easy to remove or put on. They just act lik hooks over the rim to keep the light from sliding up.

Those Petzl helmet clips look great, Dave. They sound like they'd address the concern of the OP of the headlamp strap riding up the side of the helmet. Combine those with the ZebraLight H51r (the one I think you meant instead of H501r) and he's got one very workable option. Great suggestion!

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
On your design, would it be possible to glue a couple of thin strips of rubber or felt to the inside of the clamp where it comes into contact with the ZebraLight lamp to provide a buffer between the metal of the clamp and the metal of the light? Just a thought to keep the metal-to-metal contact from happening.

Yes, they're there, but the "bumper strips" don't show up in the photos. I actually used a high quality electrician's tape. No metal-metal contact.

Get this: I added the thickness of the tape to the size of the bored hole (which made the indents). So the indents that hold the lights are "expecting" to see a layer of tape and an H501. The fit is very precise. More precise than necessary. Machinists like to do that kind of stuff.

So is the OP still around? Or is it just us red-light nuts?

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they're there, but the "bumper strips" don't show up in the photos. I actually used a high quality electrician's tape. No metal-metal contact.

So is the OP still around? Or is it just us red-light nuts?

Ahh, sorry! I misunderstood what you were saying in that previous quote.

Not a peep out of the OP since the original question. But I'm learning a lot as we go, so I'm fine with it. ;)