Help with spotlight charging circuit

bigalex310

Newly Enlightened
I have a cheap spotlight from tractor supply that I decided to upgrade to a higher wattage bulb. Well, while I was playing with it I let the positive and negative ends from the switch circuit touch sooo I believe I fried the entire switch and charging circuit. The batteries and the new bulb are fine so now I need help figuring out the easiest way to be able to charge the two 6v lead acid batteries in the spotlight. Any suggestions on this issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciative, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, if you can be more specific about what you have I'm sure we can help you.
I'm confused alittle bit exactly what you have and what went wrong. A rechargeable searchlight or a problem
with your tractors altenator ? Or something else ?

Kap

bigalex310

Newly Enlightened
I have a problem with the electrical circuit board on my rechargeable spotlight. The board that all of the resistors, capacitors, switch, wires, etc are connected to got fried therefore the charging system no longer works on the light. The batteries are fine and I need a simple way to charge them while they are still in the spotlights housing. If this isn't clear enough I will try again :thinking:

Last edited:

Kapriel

Newly Enlightened
I got it. I think you know the board is toast or at least sounds like it. So now it's a question of what batteries you have and how you want to charge them. You bought that light because it was rechargeable and now it's not.
This did not figure into your plans. If it was me I would do one of two things either get another rechargeable light
or buy a charger. The charger seems like the easy way out but I always preferred to plug in the entire light and charge it all at once. It's really up to you. But I think you already knew that.....

Sorry about that.

Kap

bigalex310

Newly Enlightened
It's a very simple light. I currently have it "rigged up" with a simple push button switch with the two leads coming straight from the two batteries. So for now i could make it work but when the batteries die I'm not sure what to do. If I knew exactly how charging ports worked I may could fix it but as you may have figured I do not. I wish there was a way to make the charging port on the light usable again, but I wouldn't know where to start.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
I use XT60 connectors on all my flashlights I built myself, like these kind of spotlights. I know a hobby charger isn't cheap but after you got it you will ask yourself how you ever coped without one. Then its just a simple matter of opening the light, disconnect the XT60 and charge it. Connect if after charging, closing and using the light again. Problem solved.
You will have to buy a charger anyway to charge these batteries. If you make it a hobby charger you can charge any battery you will ever use. I even use mine to charge a single AA nimh. You just get battery holders and solder an XT60 connector to the battery holders, whether ist 1XAA, 2Xaa, 3XAA, 6XAAA, etc etc.

bigalex310

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. Considering I gave 15 bucks for the light it may be easier to just get another and mod it again and be a little more careful. I think I can use the light with the fried board as a direct 12v light. I think I have a 35w hid and ballast laying around that I could put in it and attach a 12v accessory plug to it and run it straight from my truck cigarette plug in. Could it really be that simple?:sigh: