Horizontal holster for SF G2?

Lightwave

Newly Enlightened
Just got my first Surefire, a green G2. Nice light! I hope I don't get addicted to these lights - I know I can't afford it.... Anyway, I'm looking for a holster for the light so I can carry it without dinging up the lens, etc. Preferably a holster I can wear horizontally so it will be less in the way when I sit, and so the light will be a bit less obtrusive. Any recommendations?

carrot

Flashaholic
Maxpedition holster is good for horizontal carry, but kinda big apparently. I'll be getting mine Thursday, so if you still need that info by then I can tell you. Lighthound sells a very cheap $2 holster that I've found to work for me. It doesn't look like it'd hold up under heavy use, but it seems strong enough for me to trust it. It's very small and carries my G2 on my belt nicely.

CLHC

Flashaholic
You can obtain a Kydex Horizontal holster from Blade Tech. I got one some years ago from LFI (Lethal Force Institute) with a slider. It worked GREAT I must say! Had it for ten (10) years before it finally gave out. . .

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
County Comm's magazine/utility pouch is nice. It's the larger variation of the Inova X5 pouch. I just tried a G2 and it fits fine, just enough slop to be able to remove it easily. Super tight holsters/pouches are a pain IMO.

-LT

CLHC

Flashaholic
I agree with you on the "super tight holster/pouches" are not something I'd tend to go with. The one I had has an adjustable tensioning screw much like Safariland's sidearm holsters.

Lightwave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas guys. I think I'll go with County Comm's utility pouch.

Carrot, I am interested in hearing how the Maxpedition works out for you.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic said:
County Comm's magazine/utility pouch is nice. It's the larger variation of the Inova X5 pouch. I just tried a G2 and it fits fine, just enough slop to be able to remove it easily. Super tight holsters/pouches are a pain IMO.

-LT
Just a few words about the design of CountryComm's convertable Inova pouche(s). I have one for my X5 HAIII Nat and it is a great sheath at a great price. It is completely made of webbing. I bought mine for vertical carry on my belt and I use the horizontal feature to carry it vertical on the shoulder strap of my bike bag.

I noticed that when carried vertically on my belt the corners of the unused top strap for horizontal carry dig into my waist and bother me. My tip is this:

If you want to use this type of sheath virtically, before you put the put it on your belt slip the light into it and wrap the two unused straps around the exact opposite way that they normally go. The bottom one will wrap snuggly around the end of the sheath (towards the front) and the Velcro will hold it there. EDIT: The unused top strap will wrap around the other way, too, (again towards the front) and hold itself there with Velcro. Don't go around the light or the flap with the top strap -- just the back of the sheath. It's kind of counterintuitive but it works very well.

When used in this way the unused strap no longer digs into my waist and it also has a lower overall profile and doesn't catch on as many things. It even looks cool. :D

I was so impressed by the design of the CC sheath that I ordered a whole bunch of webbing in different sizes and after thirty+ years of making my own sheaths I've been making them out of webbing for the last two years or so.

Last edited: