How about a nice 2 x D flashlight?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
ack NO alkalines What we need are decent NiHM C & D cells

I have one of those first Fulton anglehead lights with a 1w Luxeon (two in fact one is at my parent's place)

My dad really got a kick out of the old GI lights with an LED
Alkalines leak and ruin your flashlight. They are also the 1st items sold out in an emergency.
Regular NiMH will self discharge to useless in a month. Not good for leaving in a kitchen drawer.
LSD NiMH D (10000 mAH) are expensive. Walmart Canada sells Ray-O-vac hybrids at a reasonable price but at 2900 mAH vs 2000 mAH for AA it is simpler to go with an AA light.
My suggestion is stick with alkalines but STORE THEM OUTSIDE YOUR FLASHLIGHT WHEN NOT IN USE.

In addition to a 1 watt drop in for the military anglehead flashlight you can get Elektrolumens Anglelux-XML ($69.99).
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?227663-Anglelux-XPG-goodness

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't like angle lights. I would prefer an xpg or xml in a 2 x d alkaline for under 50 dollars. If maglight can do it with xpe they can do it with xpg.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the Dewalt 2D cree XR-E flashlight which I bought for a highly discounted price; £50 down to £10 here in the UK. If you shop around you can find some good prices for this light. I guess no one is buying it at full price. Build quality is comparable to that of a maglite but has stippled metal reflector and glass lens.

Haelous

Newly Enlightened
I also agree with the Maglite recommendations.

It's silly to buy a nice enthusiast light like a TK50 and put alkalines in it.

It's like spending all that time to make hand made pasta, and then pouring a can of ragu on it.

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
I second the 2D MagLED Maglite. Only $15.88 at Home Depot. I have a 2D, and a 3D Mag with Malkoff. Granted, my eyes probably aren't as sharp as you flashoholics but I would need to have both with me to actually see a difference. Both throw far outside, though the 2D seems to be throw a cleaner beam. Lighting up the top of the palm tree in my neighbor's backyard who lives across the street, I can't really discern the "brightness" difference between the Malkoff 3D and the 2D MagLED.

The batteries in the 3D are six months old though...not sure if that makes a difference.

tjhabak

Enlightened
The Malkoff's are definitely nice, and they are brighter, but for the money the Mag LED is the better buy.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

tjhabak

Enlightened
Thinking about it, another good option would be a Fusion 36 drop-in with 3 C cells in the 2D body.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fulton doesn't just make angle lights. They make straight versions. Along with others.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Don't forget Fulton's all-GITD body lights

938nrg.jpg

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not gone down this road for a while.
LED drop ins for regular 2D flashlights.
Avoid the crappy beam by getting a flashlight with a faceted reflector.

Dorcy 3V LED bulb. $4 at Sears Canada or Frys US.
I like the 2AA Gelbrite but you can get a 2D version.

These are my most used lights:
Dorcy-2AA-4AA.jpg

NOT my Millermoded Arc AAA.
NOT my various Elektrolumens.
Not my Quarks.
Not my Fenix (Fenii?).
Not my Mags.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
30 lumens is about right for a power outage light, what's the runtime? Can it hold up versus the Nite-Ize 10mm?
Never ran mine for extended periods. It is also a 10mm LED but there is a piece of metal hanging down from the LED die assembly to draw heat away. Still inside the plastic case though.

Lightwriter

Newly Enlightened
30 lumens is about right for a power outage light, what's the runtime? Can it hold up versus the Nite-Ize 10mm?

I have the both the 3V 30 lumens and 6V 40 lumens Dorcy drop-ins. For the 6V version I ran one in a 4D Husky flashlight for maybe 5-6 weeks straight 24/7. The batteries were Panasonic heavy duties from a 99 cent store and they were already in the flashlight for 15 months. By the end of the 5th or 6th week it was as bright as a Solitaire. Only downside was the batteries leaked and left a mess inside the flashlight.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will agree with all the suggestions for the 2D Maglite. There is another option I can think of sold at Sears. Craftsman makes a 2D sized light that is 2 mode, but uses 3 or 4 AA's in a holder. It is rated at 160 lumens if I recall correctly. It is around $34.99. They also sell a 3D sized light (actually uses 3D's) if you do not mind a larger light. It is $39.99 and is rated at 240 lumens, also dual mode. Both lights have a nice finish to them and are well made. I own both! They make no mention of the dual modes of either light on the packaging. They also have an indicator light that tells you when the batteries run down! :twothumbs

recDNA

Flashaholic
The only one I've seen that looks interesting is the fenix. Perhaps I should specify high mode must be 250+ lumens.

cccpull

Enlightened
The only one I've seen that looks interesting is the fenix. Perhaps I should specify high mode must be 250+ lumens.

The Fenix TK50 is pretty close to your specs, but it's $85.00

Consider the 2-D Magled, in fact if you have a Home Depot near by, buy one for $16 and if you don't like it, return it.