How about a nice 2 x D flashlight?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure why one needs 250+ lumens for inside the house but with a Mag XP-E you could get in the ballpark and with some diffusion film over the lens the beam would be better than a XP-G or XM-L.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yeah, the most light I use in a power outage is ~100 lumens ceiling bounced in the living room, none of the other lights see anything more than ~30 lumens. More than that would be a liability since an inexperienced user would just end up blinding everyone and draining the batteries way faster than necessary.

200+ lumens is great for an outdoor light, but I'm not lugging around a D-cell log if there are tasks to be completed..

Harry999

Enlightened
Why would you risk the batteries leaking with a nice light like that?

Sorry, it just doesn't make sense to me... :shrug:

I use two D cell eneloop adaptors so I can use two eneloops to run my TK50. It got about just over 80 hours on low setting. That was good enough at the time for my use of the TK50 as an emergency light. Now I would just use it as a dedicated thrower if that need arises.

It is a nice light.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm not sure why one needs 250+ lumens for inside the house but with a Mag XP-E you could get in the ballpark and with some diffusion film over the lens the beam would be better than a XP-G or XM-L.

I'm used to using a 400 lumen mc-e in the house. I find I trip over things in dim light even when my eyes are accomodated. Somehow really bright light helps me manuever better.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I use two D cell eneloop adaptors so I can use two eneloops to run my TK50. It got about just over 80 hours on low setting. That was good enough at the time for my use of the TK50 as an emergency light. Now I would just use it as a dedicated thrower if that need arises.

It is a nice light.

That would defeat my purpose. Cheap convenient throw away batteries. I'd also hate to lose an expensive flashlight to alkaline leak so I was looking for a cheap knock off of the fenix but no luck.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If it's an eyesight issue, skip the flashlights altogether and use a large kerosene lantern; ~1000 lumens to light the room as if the power were still on..

recDNA

Flashaholic
If it's an eyesight issue, skip the flashlights altogether and use a large kerosene lantern; ~1000 lumens to light the room as if the power were still on..

I don't know if you're pulling my leg but assuming you aren't I prefer flashlights to flammable smelly liquids but. thanks for the suggestion. I do have some bright fluorescent lanterns but I prefer to walk around with a flashlight and leave the lanterns in central locations.

My problem is more clumsiness and clutter related than eyesight.

Although not ideal and more money than I want to spend I guess the tk50 is my only choice. I just missed one in the marketplace for $63. I'll have to check around for sale prices but I don't think I want to chance alkalines in a light that costs over $50.

This must be one of the few innovative flashlights ever built with no cheap knock offs.

Last edited:

Latest posts