How Long Before You Realized What You Like?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took me a few years but the learning process was fun. I learned with the cheaper lights for the most part.

I learned that a Zebralight H51f is the preferred headlamp for me and that I headlamps are useful for more than just camping trips. I learned that an Ultrafire T-50 is the best general purpose flashlight for me and that the Thrunite TI is the best small light for me.

Anything else I have is just due to the hobby aspect and isn't really needed or used very often.

Everyone's learning and choices will be different however. Now I use lights more often and in more ways than I did before but the acquiring stage is more or less behind me.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I still don't know exactly what I like I just keep buying more. Eventually I'll figure it out.

braddy

Enlightened
I carry the old version of the Fenix LD01 R4 key chain light, the new version has three output modes: 26 Lumens (3hrs) -> 3 Lumens (27hrs) -> 72 Lumens (1.5hrs) and it uses one AAA battery.

With that, all you need for the car is an extra battery, just in case.

The 72 Lumens makes a regular house type flashlight, and the 27 hour burn time on low is great for an extended, sleeping in the car break down.

Although my version of the LD01 is much less in Lumans than the new one, a few years ago, when I was heading outdoors to check a noise, I realized that on high, it's 50 Lumens was as bright as any of my full sized flashlights.

If I wasn't a flashlight junkie, the little AAA EDC would be all of the flashlight that I would ever need, measured by my 1998 standard of thinking that a 2 or 3D Maglite was the cats meow.

Last edited:

mbw_151

Enlightened
Many here have lived thru the technology change from incandescent to LED and the subsequent rapid evolution of LEDs. The level of change appears to be calming down now, smaller incremental improvements. The figuring it out process should be a little shorter than it was 5-10 years ago. The house and car lights are easier, something with at least a high/low and big enought to not loose will do well. The EDC is tougher. First figure out what size light you are willing to carry, coin cell, AAA, AA/123 or 2xAA/2x123. This cuts the number of options quickly. You may have to buy a couple lights to test this. Pick the size(s) and then it's time to sort features. This part of the process will take as long as you let it. Good luck.

scout24

Flashaholic
I agree with several of the above posts, it's an ongoing process. More of what I like feature-wise for certain uses rather than what specific lights I like. The features kind of lead you in certain directions. For EDC, I need a solid pocketclip, a durable material or finish, reliability and simplicity. For me, nothing has yet combined all those attributes as well as the Haiku, in whatever flavor you choose. I bounce back and forth between the xpg and high cri. For keychain or backup use, bombproof and runtime rule the day for me. I give a hoot for tint at that point, it's just gotta make light for a long time while being near indestructable. For my needs, the Fenix EO1 is it. Emergency lights for me are all about runtime, low level output, and reliability.Throwers, flooders, around-the-house lights, fun lights, that's where I can experiment and have fun now. Having bought and sold a TON of lights, I hope the road won't end anytime soon... :)

not a fighter

Newly Enlightened
My thought process this far:

1. "Hey, flashlights have come a long way. This is interesting and useful. I guess I'll take a small one and a slightly bigger one." So I bought ITP's A3 EOS and the SA1.

2. "These are nice, but the A3 is a bit gimmicky and not useful for every day, as it is not comfortable to hold at its small size. The SA1 is a bit better in this regard, but I think there is something more suited to my needs." So got the SA2 Eluma R5.

3. The SA2 Eluma R5 is pretty good for daily use with its good battery life. I Don't use the small A3 anymore. Also bought a Olight S65 for its high lumen and long battery life, mostly for fun actually. It's not perfect, as it is a bit too heavy and doesn't feel great.
So the next question is, whether there is something with a little more lumen than the SA2 at the lowest setting while having long battery life. But I'm quite satisfied with the SA2 for now: Great built quality and little weight.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took me from early 2008 till about January this year, so about 4 years, but there's a lot more to the process than just how long it took.
How many flashlights? well over 30.
How much money? over 3000$.
How many interfaces? about 7

And then there is experimentation with cool, neutral, warm, high CRI, beam profiles, throw, intensity, mode spacing, programmability, size, battery type, runtime, practical intensity, etc. etc.

I am finally settling on single CR/RCR123 sized 15-20 degree beam high CRI (neutral or warm) with ~100 meter throw ~150-200 lumen max and < 0.2 lumen low, 2-3 hour runtime minimum (this part I'm still waiting for technology to catch up) and an interface on which I can easily get directly to max mode or (less easily) go straight to a lower mode of my choice.

litzerski

Newly Enlightened
I've been into flashlights for about a year now and I'm still figuring out what I like. I've spent the past year figuring out what I want/need for work (I work in tunnel construction, so the need for a good flashlight is obvious, although overlooked by most), now I'm realizing I need more lights for EDC pocket carry, etc... As quickly as the technology is advancing, I don't think I'll ever know EXACTLY what I want.

beach honda

Enlightened
Flashaholism is a forever ongoing process. However I have come to appreciate low lows, long runtime, ergonomics, quality builders like malkoff, McGizmo, and HDS to name a few, and the ongoing quest for the next best thing. My old standby lights will never be replaced though (i.e. HDS 85tr twisty)

Latest posts